Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Higher Zoom Height: A Feature

Basic Member
    Balance discussions @ playdota please

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Well, this is balance discussion and Not a "Map Issue", I think you are wasting our time here...

There's a Console Command for what you are asking for, it's dota_camera_distance xxx IIRC, but its only possible to activate it in Cheat Enabled Private Lobbys. See what I did there?

I will repeat this again and again, meh, I will make it my signature.

Don't fix what it's not broken.
    Dont fix what is not broken.

^Sorry, not native speaker, I fixed it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    ^Sorry, not native speaker, I fixed it
    Thats ok just thought I would fix it cause you said you would sig it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Het View Post
    You should have read the thread and you are contradicting yourself. If it becomes easier to deal with certain situations, naturally those same situations on the other team are more difficult. It's a shift in skill from the carpal tunnel mundane (constant camera flicking) to a greater focus on initiation and execution. Currently playing Dota 2 is like playing a shooter with an FOV of 50-60 rather than a more natural 90-100.
    I actually read the whole thread and exactly what you are saying is yet another problem. If ganking situations get too difficult for the party who wants to gank someone, the total amount of ganks gets lower. Therefore the overall action in the whole game gets smaller, maybe even transform the meta game into another rice fest, because ganking just isn't worth it anymore. There is no shifting to "a greater focus on initiation and execution" because ganks are just not doable anymore without buffs to certain heroes, if the FOV is higher than it is right now.
    Last edited by hurt; 04-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.

the most anoying thing is that people with widescreen have an advantage.

I use 1024x1080 but people with insane widescreen can just see more!

this should be fixed.

+1

We don't exactly 'see' more.

It's just presented in a more stretched manner. in bigger size

http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...7&d=1332903724

http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...8&d=1332903727

also this 2 picture shows what happens when you have a higher zoom height.

u obviously see alot more, removing a huge amount of camera management skill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwj View Post
    http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...7&d=1332903724

http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...8&d=1332903727

also this 2 picture shows what happens when you have a higher zoom height.

u obviously see alot more, removing a huge amount of camera management skill
    That zoom out shows to me why this game cannot have a drastically increased FOV.
    Look at all that room to see so much more, heroes, spells, creeps; way too easy.

@OP If a game is not set to your preference I understand, especially because it seems like you do want to play the game.
    The game is currently balanced around this FOV, and as it has been noted there would need to be significant balances changes to make more than a minor change to the FOV.
    I agree it would be nice to have a little more room, but I think it is fine as is, and I do not want it to be changed by any noticeable amount.

Also comparing this to an FPS genre change does not really work, that really is an Apples and Oranges comparison.

Basic Member
    There's two reasons, in my mind, why keeping the FOV where it is is optimal:
    1) It improves surprise-based skills, as mentioned above.
    2) It makes it waaay easier for the Source Engine to render everything if there's less stuff to render.

Also, OP, by starting your thread with "I will not buy this game if you don't implement my suggestion!" is bad for 2 reasons:
    1) If you want people to listen to you, being rude to them is not the best way to get their attention.
    2) Dota 2 will be free-to-play. What are you talking about?

I understand your argument and respect your opinion. However, I think that the detriments outweigh the benefits, and therefore disagree with this suggestion.