Thread: After 17 years of playing Dota, They finally made me take a break from the game.

Basic Member

After 17 years of playing Dota, They finally made me take a break from the game.

After the last update where you need to mark some role tags I finally got so irritated to stop my 17 years of playing the game.
    Through the years i have always loved to play the game with all it's good sides and bad ones also.
    The new system is simply badly made and unconsidered forced upon users of the game.
    Instead of fixing anything for anyone, it actually gives players hundreds of new reasons to report each other for no valid reason.
    With the new designated roles now you can play about 10 percent of the strategies playable on the map.
    Because you have to play the designated roles you can't even counter-pick anything the enemies pick without playing outside the role you picked(not to mention the roles that aren't even there for choosing
    )
    The lack of knowledge on the 90% of players of the game also provides a big problem.
    Because most players can't play all heroes in a class you can never fulfill the designated role you chose at first.
    So what now? restrict your choices and mark only the boxes you want or the opposite way and mark all?? It's bad either way.
    Why? Cause now the majority of players who wants to play they will only mark core positions which means if you wont pick a support or a hard support role you have to qeue for ages(bet they forgot to think about that in valve). Or when they mark all boxes, they will most of the time only get to play support or hard support. And why is this a problem? cause you mark a hard support specifically and a support only. Valve has made a system now where you can only play lineups with dual support( being it one semi-support or two full support) But they haven't restricted the other lane roles. Which means again in most cases you will end with weak flat-lanes with three carries. And if you add this up you will always end with 1 hard support for three carries(which in most cases in insufficient). So if valves intention was to make people play more support roles to strengthen lineups in games and make people argue less in-game, they actually failed at it.
    Not only has valve created a locked system with incomplete/flawed understanding of lanes, they have also created a hostile environment for people to report each other even more than before.
    The prior system about discussing the roles out wasn't perfect. But that system gave people a choice to either be reasonable, or else take the bitter pill and atleast be mature enough to complete a game with strength and manners.
    With my 17 years of playing dota i can say this about the current situation:
    The creativity and stability of picking lineups for playing AP ranked is gone.
    Player hostility towards each other is now worse( valve needs to check their data. Do people report each other for not playing the role they chose more or the other 3?)
    And since in the old days, where prorus fixed the game loading for each game for 20-something minutes, am i now experiencing something similar when i restrict marked boxes in AP ranked.

Less flexibility on how to playing the map. A flawed understanding on the restrictions valve has made on how the game works. And as long waiting time now each game as in the early days of dota when people waited 20-30 minutes each game to get to play a game(with the guarantee of of not being able to play the best possible lineup against the lineup your enemies picked and on top of that getting petty hate reports)

I never ask for commendations in-game, but got thousands of them. And people tell me that i showed them sides of the game they didn't know or didn't understand before. But with this update on the game I simply think that valve is ruining all that work people put in to try and make the game a better environment.

All this is simply making dota an unenjoyable game for me. So I've decided to take a break from the game after 17 years.

Hf n Gl to all dota players.

GG
    Ianthe22.

Basic Member

Cool You're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthe22 View Post
    After the last update where you need to mark some role tags I finally got so irritated to stop my 17 years of playing the game.
    Through the years i have always loved to play the game with all it's good sides and bad ones also.
    The new system is simply badly made and unconsidered forced upon users of the game.
    Instead of fixing anything for anyone, it actually gives players hundreds of new reasons to report each other for no valid reason.
    With the new designated roles now you can play about 10 percent of the strategies playable on the map.
    Because you have to play the designated roles you can't even counter-pick anything the enemies pick without playing outside the role you picked(not to mention the roles that aren't even there for choosing
    )
    The lack of knowledge on the 90% of players of the game also provides a big problem.
    Because most players can't play all heroes in a class you can never fulfill the designated role you chose at first.
    So what now? restrict your choices and mark only the boxes you want or the opposite way and mark all?? It's bad either way.
    Why? Cause now the majority of players who wants to play they will only mark core positions which means if you wont pick a support or a hard support role you have to qeue for ages(bet they forgot to think about that in valve). Or when they mark all boxes, they will most of the time only get to play support or hard support. And why is this a problem? cause you mark a hard support specifically and a support only. Valve has made a system now where you can only play lineups with dual support( being it one semi-support or two full support) But they haven't restricted the other lane roles. Which means again in most cases you will end with weak flat-lanes with three carries. And if you add this up you will always end with 1 hard support for three carries(which in most cases in insufficient). So if valves intention was to make people play more support roles to strengthen lineups in games and make people argue less in-game, they actually failed at it.
    Not only has valve created a locked system with incomplete/flawed understanding of lanes, they have also created a hostile environment for people to report each other even more than before.
    The prior system about discussing the roles out wasn't perfect. But that system gave people a choice to either be reasonable, or else take the bitter pill and atleast be mature enough to complete a game with strength and manners.
    With my 17 years of playing dota i can say this about the current situation:
    The creativity and stability of picking lineups for playing AP ranked is gone.
    Player hostility towards each other is now worse( valve needs to check their data. Do people report each other for not playing the role they chose more or the other 3?)
    And since in the old days, where prorus fixed the game loading for each game for 20-something minutes, am i now experiencing something similar when i restrict marked boxes in AP ranked.

Less flexibility on how to playing the map. A flawed understanding on the restrictions valve has made on how the game works. And as long waiting time now each game as in the early days of dota when people waited 20-30 minutes each game to get to play a game(with the guarantee of of not being able to play the best possible lineup against the lineup your enemies picked and on top of that getting petty hate reports)

I never ask for commendations in-game, but got thousands of them. And people tell me that i showed them sides of the game they didn't know or didn't understand before. But with this update on the game I simply think that valve is ruining all that work people put in to try and make the game a better environment.

All this is simply making dota an unenjoyable game for me. So I've decided to take a break from the game after 17 years.

Hf n Gl to all dota players.

GG
    Ianthe22.
    I'm playing Dota since the Eul/Guinsoo version as well. I must say, I disagree with you. Dota's matchmaking is a lot better now. You are worried about not being able to counter pick? Not true.. you can still counter pick, the other day I supported as Juggernaut, and won, and I realized, Juggernaut is a great support hero if played the right build. You can do anything in any role, don't make this role selection an excuse for your lack of creativity.

And forget about the early Dota days, gameplay has evolved 1000 folds since then.. back in the day Pudge was always a mid pick, now Pudge never goes mid.... Blink Dagger was a norm for Shadow Fiend, now you see someone getting blink and bottle as 7 minute inventory for Shadow Fiend, along with 2 branches.

And no, there are a fucktonne of support players, I play Support mostly, and my strategic picks win me games. May be tell us your rating or rank, or link your OpenDota profile, lemme have a look at your bracket.

But anyway, if you're interested in AP gaming, you always have the option of playing unranked, but anyway, I've never seen so much positive feedback across social media about on an update before, than this one.

Check out Facebook comments, Reddit, Twitter, this forum itself, check it out. You might want to play LoL or HotS, you might like it there.

Regards,
    Bijwa

Basic Member
    Bijwa. My point isn't that you can't choose to play it. That is entirely up to you. But because the sytem promotes something else it gives people more ridiculous reasons to report you. Even with a win, but because you did not play a hero that traditionally matches the limited role, you will probably get reports of either lack of understanding of the game, else out of envy or else if people see something that doesn't fit their narrow view of the game they will also report you for mistakes they make. The bottom line is that instead of making these role tags suggesting guidelines(which we had be4 anyways) with the additional new "report for not playing your role", it justifies people to go in the direction of reporting this kind of "logical" playing in the game. It is a statement from valve that they don't want you to play anything but the narrow lineup that they set it there. That you choose to play something else and get a good game out of it is nice. But that isn't the intention of valve/dota 2.
    I hope my reply is clear.
    Regards
    Ianthe22.

Basic Member
    I don't agree with you sir. I asked wykrhm on facebook several times to bring role matchmaking to the game, I was disappointed at first since it was dota-plus only after the 2017 compendium but I'm pretty happy since they enabled it for everyone.

Now let me say why I disagree with you:

1- You said valve created more hostile envoirment, which is false. Would you rather 2 people fighting over mid core, offlane etc? I played tons of matches after the update and I had only 2 or 3 conflicts that's it, It's pretty peaceful. I play mostly pos1 when I lost my roll to play pos1, I had to play support which I don't have too much experience with. Sometimes people would select their lanes and left me to play mid lane, I don't have experience on that too! I would perform badly and get flamed by my teammates, which is much more hostile.

2-"No flexibility" Argument, This one is a special one since I would always got downvoted and spammed with this one everytime I said they should bring role queue to dota2 and those people also would say that I should go play LoL instead of Dota.... This is false too!
    What kind of flexibility we are talking about here? the "soft" support is made for flexibility you can either go 2-1-2 or play roamer. You should be thankful that they didn't add jungle role to the game

This might be the best state of ranked matchmaking, except for pros since most of them queue party and high mmr solo players can't find a game.

Basic Member
    You are saying it in your post. There are things now that you cant play anymore. Apart from the role tags being limited cause players outright can't choose certain strats anymore without violating the terms on not playing a designated role. Isn't it enough to have the tags as a guideline only. Why add the option to report people also? Cause you, me and every1 else knows who people are gonna target first if they wont play roles. The problem now is that Valve has given people an option to report people who they dislike. It is simple math. The problem aren't any of the core roles. It is the support role that has now gotten a report me tag on their backs. You ask how or why? Well, if things goes wrong people will use it as an excuse, because valve gave them that option. Look, if you don't qeue up as support role you are gonna wait for ages. When that happens it isn't even the tags that matter anymore. It is the players who plays the support hero. They are gonna get targeted. And why is this a problem? Cause people now know it is safer to choose to play carry. So it also means it will take ages for the system to find people who wants to play support. Once people do that it will lead to people playing less and less support lineups and more carry heavy lineups, If you want to avoid reports, then it is the safest way to do it. Now if the success of a game is measured in wins and succesful plays and people pick more carry dominant roles, who is gonna be the most vulnerable? The support. And when you support on a carry heavy lineup the likeliness to succeed is less likely. When things then go wrong do you think the 3 cores and the semi carry is gonna report themselves or the one solo supporting? You are right, ofc they wont report themselves. Since valve allready removed the reviews and solely base anything number of reports. This system heavily favours cores. With the option to report lane roles(not just having guidelines, but straight out the option to dictate roles else report)you are now making support players a target. And when support players have gotten enough unfair reports over game losses, they will evt. retaliate by lashing eihter lashing back and report carry roles and or else completely stop qeue up as supports. And else just qeue up as a support and then play a semi carry, which will then lead to all the responsibility and burden to support land on one person again(this goes back to the unbalanced system that heavily places support roles in bad situations). So like this it really does nothing else but give players more things to argue about! Look good players don't need to argue over a mid role or any core roles for that case. They can win games from anywhere on the map and or else play the game right from there. With this system now you give less good players and option to report people who with their good will wants to help the team by playing support for a win. I don't mind having the role tags as guidelines. But encouraging people to report each other more is just gonna make people wanna play support roles less. It can't be good in any way! It was allready bad enough that valve indulged new players who didn't want to learn how to play and win ranked games, so they gave newbie players an option to report people who tried to help/teach them how to play the game to win. It's really simple to figure these things out. First of all if you don't want people to bother telling you about your gameplay in a teamgame where teamwork is crucial to win ranked games. They can just play without communicating then. At some point they will learn how important team communication is. But what valve has done now is giving them chance to go on the offensive. They have now given people tools to report out of spite. And these spite possibilities heavily favours core role players and they are based on a system that is largely unobserved and unsupervised. So when i lose the possibility to play support roles in a reasonable system and also lose the possibility to play "Ranked" games for the win, it kinda removes the interest for me to play dota. since the installment of the new system all i encountered is that when carries fail they can always make the excuse they only play for fun or even worse they turn it around and make all other carries report the serious support player. And when support fails, no matter what reason, they will get spiteful reports. and since most games heavily goes to the non-support side, you will evt. end up with temp bans or 5-6 days without communication priveliges. So yes evt. you will end up not wanting to qeue for anything but core roles anymore. Don't believe me? Ask valve to make a survey on how many people qeue as core roles and how many people qeue as support roles. It should be clear here, else find some data on how many reports support players get compared to core players.

Basic Member
    I agree. Im a support player myself. Position 4 . And since the bew system I cant play pos4 in 3k and below without getting repirted. So my only choice is to play a second position 5 or play position 3 which I dont know how to play.

Basic Member
    The difference between dota 1 and 2 is that there is consequences if you flame someone for playing terribly. Youll be put with people who flame or play terribly who get reported regularly. Your game quality will go down severely. Youll end up flipping even more as youre surrounded by the dumbest individuals youll come across in your life.
    Honestly dota shouldnt have the ability to talk in chat. Any discussions should be left post game. If you want to talk do it through mic as it doesnt interrupt the game flow. The chat wheel is sufficient enough along with ground pings to tell what youre about to do. However if your only problem is lack of skill to claw your way to immortal by your own wits then theres little to be said. 4-5 roles are mostly leeches cause thats all they can do. The only suggestion here is play all roles until youre equally competent in them. The only good support player is the one who could swap places with me and carry me into a win with me barely doing anything. (Good example is team OG, they can interchange their roles and still stomp pro teams) Seems like a high bar to reach but come on.. you've played dota for over a decade... if youre not a master skill at this point then why havent you quit already. Seems like you lack the aptitude to learn any further on your own and i dont know how much you play per week but playing one game a day for 17 years wouldnt amount as much as playing heavily for a year.
    Last edited by 5teen; Today at 04:04 AM.