Thread: Underlord gaining extra temporary Atrophy Aura bonus damage from Level 15 talent

Basic Member

Underlord gaining extra temporary Atrophy Aura bonus damage from Level 15 talent

Match ID: 5230499602
    Patch: 7.24

Replay: dota2://matchid=5230499602&matchtime=2152

Initially I noticed the buff indicator for the temporary damage was bugged because it would sometimes show a number that's not a multiple of 5, despite Atrophy Aura granting temporary bonus damage only in multiples of 5. However from digging a bit deeper it looks like Underlord may be getting more temporary Atrophy Aura bonus damage than expected?

Sometimes when an instance of temporary bonus damage on Underlord's Atrophy Aura expires, the wrong amount of bonus damage is removed, and Underlord ends up with an amount of bonus damage that is not a multiple of 5, . In the example replay above, Underlord first gets a weird bonus damage of 74 damage at 31:24, where previously he had 125.

Analysis: By working backwards from this instance, because the duration of Level 4 Atrophy Aura is 60 seconds, if we go back to 30:24, we see that Underlord starts with no Atrophy Aura buff and then gains Atrophy Aura buff with +45 damage from the Ursa kill (and +11 permanent bonus damage, from 59 to 70). His actual bonus damage goes from 59 to 121 (+62) though looking at the green number in the HUD/hero panel. Where did this extra 6 damage come from (the talent perhaps)? The HUD shows +70 and +45, which is 115 total not 121. Fast forward 31:24 to where the temporary bonus damage from the Ursa kill is supposed to expire, and the temporary bonus damage goes down to 125 to 74 (-51), whereas the actual bonus damage goes down from +201 to +150 (-51). The sum of the Atrophy Aura buff counters is still off by 6.

Over to the next kill at 33:12, Underlord has +115 bonus damage, with 39 temporary and 70 permanent Atrophy Aura buffs (still off by 6) before the kill and after, +177 bonus damage with 84 temporary and 81 permanent buffs (+62 total bonus damage, +45 temporary Atrophy Aura buff, +11 permanent Atrophy Aura buff). Once again, 45 + 11 is 56, but add another +6 and it's 62? Another 60 seconds later, the 99 temporary buff becomes 48? Another -51. At some point (37:52) the number disappears from the buff indicator altogether, though the tooltip says 3 damage. If we add that with 92 + 3, we get 95, whereas the bonus damage is 107, a difference of +12. Either way, the difference between the sum of the damage from the buff indicators and the actual bonus damage seems to always be a multiple of 6. The fact that buffs are inaccurate from replay bugs is making this harder to trust the numbers though.

Playing around with this in demo tool too. Without the talent everything seems to work fine, e.g. I have +10 temporary and +10 permanent damage and it adds up to +20 bonus damage in the hero panel. As soon as I take the +6 Atrophy Aura permanent bonus damage talent, the numbers are off: +21 permanent damage (fine), +55 temporary damage (fine), +82 bonus damage (+6 from expected). If I wait 60 seconds for the hero kill permanent damage to expire, the temporary Atrophy Aura buff indicator goes off (takes an extra 6 damage off of the number), but the actual bonus damage continues to be 6 above the sum of the Atrophy Aura buff indicators. Before the temporary Atrophy Aura buff expires completely, the number disappears from the buff indicator completely but the tooltip says 1 bonus damage, for example. Some speculation, but I'm guessing that's supposed to be -1 bonus damage, but the buff indicator can't show negative numbers and the negative sign is dropped from the tooltip for some reason. If we assume it is -1 and add/subtract it from the permanent damage, we once again get a number that's a multiple of 6 away from the actual bonus damage received. Once the buff actually expires, the bonus damage shown on the hero panel matches the single buff indicator for the permanent Atrophy Aura buff.

Next question: is the extra bonus damage actually real? I summoned a bunch of enemies to kill them in quick succession to the point where the difference was about 100, then summoned a dummy unit and checked the damage on the hits. It indeed is real damage - for example, I had a reading of 230 permanent bonus damage and 770 temporary bonus damage from Atrophy Aura (1000 total) but a reading of +1102 bonus damage in the hero panel. With 275 base damage (272-278 with damage spread), one hit is 1376 damage, which is close to 275+1102=1377 damage going off of the hero panel instead of 275+1000=1275 damage. I also made sure that I had no +damage items to make things easier (setup is 5 Reavers + Moon Shard, Level 4 Atrophy Aura, leveled up to Level 27 with +6 Atrophy Permanent Bonus Damage skilled).

(I've noticed the inconsistent buff numbers at least, several times in the past before, I think several patches ago? Just never got around to posting a thread about it. Of course now that I do make a thread about it I write an entire essay about it...???)

Basic Member
    As another example, look at this gameplay video/clips from Gorgc playing Underlord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlUWThftAw

According to https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Underlord/Changelogs the permanent Atrophy Aura bonus damage was added in patch 7.20 (released 2018-11-19) and the +7 Atrophy Aura permanent bonus damage Level 15 talent was added in patch 7.22d (released 2019-06-30). This video was published on Aug 28, 2019 so it was likely played on patch 7.22f (released 2019-07-28). At 5:54 into the video (https://youtu.be/kjlUWThftAw?t=354), Underlord has +24 permanent damage, +30 temporary damage, and the hero panel shows +54 total bonus damage. After the kill onto Naga Siren, he has +36 permanent damage (+5 from ability, +7 from talent), +75 temporary damage (+45 from ability), but the hero panel shows +118 total bonus damage (+36 from permanent, +75 from temporary, extra +7 from bug). You can also see in the next kill at 6:11 (https://youtu.be/kjlUWThftAw?t=371), he has +36 permanent damage, +70 temporary damage, and +113 total bonus damage (keep in mind there is +7 extra from bug) before the kill. After the kill, he has +48 permanent damage, +115 temporary damage, and +177 total bonus damage (+48 from permanent, +115 from temporary, +14 extra from 2 instances of the bug).

You can also see the bugged buff indicator at 6:20 (https://youtu.be/kjlUWThftAw?t=380, unfortunately the video cuts in between the 2 previous kills and this point), where the temporary buff indicator shows 46 while the permanent buff indicator still shows 48. Note that the two kills happen at 24:00 and 24:16 on the game clock, and the video cuts over to 26:08 on the game clock, meaning the temporary bonus damage from the hero kills should have expired by now. We can infer that the temporary buff indicator got bugged because it subtracted the extra +14 damage from the temporary buff indicator, since if we add it back in, we get 60 which is a proper multiple of 5 based on the ability numbers. We can also derive the total bonus damage in the hero panel: +48 from permanent Atrophy Aura buff indicator, +46 from temporary Atrophy Aura buff indicator, +14 to compensate for bugged temporary buff indicator, and +24 from Maelstrom for 132 bonus damage total.

Another instance of the indicator bugging is at 9:01 in the video (https://youtu.be/kjlUWThftAw?t=541), where 96 temporary damage becomes 44 temporary damage (96 - 45 - 7 = 44). We can still derive the real total bonus damage the same way (+60 permanent, +44 temporary, +21 bugged, +24 Maelstrom = 149 bonus damage). There are more examples throughout the video.

Here's an earlier example from one of Gorgc's videos, published Jul 2, 2019 closer to when the talent was introduced: https://youtu.be/jJ4WhGNgeKs?t=335 (starting at 5:35). Before the kill he has +29 from permanent AA, +30 from temporary AA, +18 from Phase Boots, and +65 from Radiance for 142 total bonus damage. The next kill at 5:39 (https://youtu.be/jJ4WhGNgeKs?t=339, 23:54 game time) is his first kill with the Level 15 talent, and he ends up with 206 total bonus damage, meaning he gained +12 permanent AA damage, +45 temporary AA damage, and +7 bugged temporary AA damage (142 + 12 + 45 + 7 = 206). Bugged indicator happens at 5:56 (https://youtu.be/jJ4WhGNgeKs?t=356, 24:54 game time, exactly 60 seconds after 23:54), where the buff indicator goes from 165 to 113 (meaning he lost 52 damage when the damage from the hero kill expired, even though it's "supposed" to only be 45 damage) and the bonus damage from the hero panel goes from 315 to 263 (verifying that he actually did lose 52 damage).