Thread: Game Launch issue

Basic Member

Game Launch issue

I've been in the testing for just a week or so now. After playing the game (with almost unbearable crashes constantly), i currently cannot even launch it properly. When attempting to launch the program, My screen flickers black a couple times and i can hear the game launching as well as the loading of the home screen and i can hear my cursor go over the tabs but the only thing visible is my normal desktop.
    My attempts to fix are as follows
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, same effect
    All my drivers are up to date

If anyone has knowledge on this please share and thank you in advance. If my specs are needed i'll edit and add, but before doing so my computer is fairly high end

Basic Member
    sounds to me like a resolution issue. have you tried running your monitor on a different resolution and then opening dota?

Basic Member
    im 99% sure you're right that it is a resolution issue cause i think this all happened after i changed the game resolution. I've tried running it in every res my screen has to offer, but maybe i was droning a little when i did it and i will try them again and let you know if it was successful or not

Basic Member
    i wanna say the game is being run at a lower resolution than maybe my screen is willing to go. 800x600 is the farthest it will go down to. still mid process of all resolutions and nothing yet

Basic Member
    ya that seems to be the issue, i think the game is running at 640x480 and i cant change it unless my screen will go to that level and it wont

Basic Member
    you can try editing the file directly and manually change the resolution

go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg and find the Video.txt file

change the
    "setting.defaultres" "1360"
    "setting.defaultresheight" "768"

to whatever you want

also change

"setting.fullscreen" "0"
    "setting.nowindowborder" "1"
    "setting.aspectratiomode" "1"

Basic Member
    I got the game to pop on the screen after the changes you suggested in the actual file directly. There is still one small hiccup. I am now trying to change the res settings in game, but the only option its showing is still 640x480. I mean i can play yes but the horrible graphics is pretty meh. Any more tips?
    I want you guys to know im very grateful for the help and time you're giving me

Basic Member
    strange, have you checked out the aspect ratio? right above the resolution should be an aspect ratio option. change it and more options will pop up