Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Suggestion] Let players be able to walk down elevated ledges / ward spots

The spots are there for a reason. Vision blockers, ward spots, isolated areas. You should ALWAYS HAVE A TP! basic dota rules. You wanna give people forest walking too for when they jump or wave into the wood? Its extremely difficult to get put in one of those places, and if it does, then you should have a tp. For the final version, unstuck should be in as well.

Basic Member
    I think I have read enough of this thread to comment. I have been playing dota and dota 2 for a very long time. I believe that there are very rare situations where your unit can get stuck in terrain due to a toss or a vacuum. But none the less, I believe this should be part of a team based strategy game. If you are skillful enough to toss an enemy hero right on top of the ward cliff then why not? The other team should be prepared to support a teammate in this scenario as well. If it was a strategy of the other team to cut down trees and put a pudge in there to hook and then tp out to trap an enemy hero then why not? It is a strategy that is difficult to pull off as well as it can be pulled of with ease accidentally.

I believe though that -unstuck or some other fail safe measure (e.g. if you are stuck in an area for more than 1 minute you automatically die) should be implemented but with appropriate consequences/reward effect... if i remember: using -unstuck in dota 1 will render you immobile for 1 minute (not sure as I never had to use it in dota 1).

But again, this is a strategy game... if one team can pull a strategy off such as this one then I believe it should be part of the game.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Andrei View Post
    Brain much?Learn to read and understand a post before showing your brain power on forums.Point was that he could escape in a nearby location and heal safely(without having to use a full range TW).He would not have to wait for the cd of Time Walk to go off,or walk the whole way back.Since you did not understand this,you probably don't realise how important a couple of seconds are in a team fight.Just one example of how much the game would change.
    Next time ask a friend to read you the posts since you can't handle this hardship.
    The same goes with blink. Yes... but I still believe though that this is part of the game. If he chooses to do that then he is sacrificing minimum heal+ having to buy heal items and gaining experience time going into a non reachable area. The opposing team should be aware that this can be used... AND therefore be able to either 1. counter it by finding a way to kill that hero while in that location... eg most range heroes are able to reach playable areas in the game anyway OR 2. Use the time to gain experience, level, and gold while the player is in an area away from combat.

If in any case I think the aspects of this strategy should be adjusted for balance but not completely removed. Example... they can adjust the mana and health regen capabilities of heroes while in non-reachable areas... Like example... a bottle normally heals you for such amount of mana and health... but the heal becomes less when you are in an unreachable area.

Knowledge of shadows, higher or lower ground, and terrain is part of the strategy of dota and dota 2. If you don't know this knowledge of the map then it is a skill you should learn.

Are you saying it should also be illegal for pudge to NOT be seen while on higher ground because he knows its an advantage to him? NO. It is a strategy that can be played.

Are you saying that because tinker has a re-arm ability that when coupled with boots of travel allows him to teleport back to base virtually with an unlimited number of times? NO. That is also a strategy that can be played.

Plus deliberately using strategies like these have their adverse effects... 1. waiting for an opportunity to toss or hook a player in a trap area will probably take you a whole lot of time waiting... therefore sacrificing exp and gold you could have gained by laning or doing other things. Pudge for example will sacrifice experience while waiting for an opportunity to hook in a blind spot area.

Even in real life situations knowledge of terrain and map is valuable... and that makes a game more exiting because there is strategy in using that map knowledge to your advantage in offense OR defense.
    Last edited by shogrran; 04-11-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shogrran View Post
    The same goes with blink. Yes... but I still believe though that this is part of the game. If he chooses to do that then he is sacrificing minimum heal+ having to buy heal items and gaining experience time going into a non reachable area. The opposing team should be aware that this can be used... AND therefore be able to either 1. counter it by finding a way to kill that hero while in that location... eg most range heroes are able to reach playable areas in the game anyway OR 2. Use the time to gain experience, level, and gold while the player is in an area away from combat.
    Huh?How is this related to my post?The TOPIC of this post is not blink/TW etc interaction,strategies etc..but how would cliff walking change that...and how do you feel about it.
    Use the couple of seconds one is out of a team fight to farm?During a team fight?
    I don't even understand this sentence in relation to the discussion here:
    If he chooses to do that then he is sacrificing minimum heal+ having to buy heal items and gaining experience time going into a non reachable area..
    Are you sure you read the whole tread,my friend?Or am I getting dumber per post?:-s

Then you go on editing your post with 5 more paragraphs of non-topic invented presumptions?

Are you saying that because tinker has a re-arm ability that when coupled with boots of travel allows him to teleport back to base virtually with an unlimited number of times?
    This sentence has no logical construction btw...
    Last edited by Martin Andrei; 04-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Basic Member
    chick + tp = problem solved

Basic Member
    if not this, add something to the game that allows pudge and VS to use blink dagger. It's such a cool item to have on pudge, and it is a shame that terrain prevents these heroes from being able to buy all of the items in the game.
    If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is stronger than you, evade him.
    If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

-Sun Tzu

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Andrei View Post
    Brain much?Learn to read and understand a post before showing your brain power on forums.Point was that he could escape in a nearby location and heal safely(without having to use a full range TW).He would then (if cliff waking would be a feature )not have to wait for the cd of Time Walk to go off,or walk a longer path the avoid cliffs to get back.Since you did not understand this,you probably don't realise how important a couple of seconds are in a team fight.Just one example of how much the game would change.
    Next time ask a friend to read you the posts since you can't handle this hardship.

Edited for better understanding.
    Well it seems you can't try to have a discussion about any aspect of the game whitout some tryhards coming up with a personal offense. Very well then you moron, how about you give me an example of where on the map and in what kind of situation Void (or any other blinker) would be able to abuse this feature? Show me this magical place that would allow a hero to blink in, heal and come back in 2 secons to a fight whitout having to go around a long path. I don't think such place exists you noob. Try to remember that this feature would only allow you to move down/up cliffs in case you are stuck there, if there is a path you'll have to follow it, you can't just cliff walk the entire map.

The point is, if you are blinking away to safety it doesn't matter if it is up a cliff or not, once you are safe you can heal and then go back in. This is a feature and we are discussing it's usefulness to the game, don't come trying to look smart when you actually are not.

I believe this derives from Dota1 in such a way that it will affect balance a LOT.

To simply put:
    - if you are stuck somewhere due to your own skill, your fault. Buy tp, ask help from allies etc. Blink/leap/TW and getting stuck is strategy or stupidity or mistake; depending on the situation.
    - if you are stuck somewhere due to opponent doing swap/hook+fs, tough luck. You should have had wards there and know they are planning something like this.
    Anyways, kinda non-issue as it is not possible in any serious games.
    - if you are stuck somewhere due to vacuum/fs/tp/flamebreak etc, that's a bug. Report it.

Finally, the best I will allow is to suggest implementing -unstuck.

Closed.