Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathing issues near Sentinel top tower

Basic Member

Pathing issues near Sentinel top tower

Summary:
    It frequently occurs, that a hero, runs to the wrong direction at the top sentinel tower.

Repro:
    1. run towards the sentinel top tower
    2. issue to walk to the right of the tower (by right-clicking near "click here") , when arriving at the end of the "hero movement" arrow

Result:
    Sometimes the hero will walk into the expected direction, but very frequently, he will choose the longer and more exposed path. A second movement command usually sends him back, but it shouldnt happen in the first place.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    There are a bunch of regions like this which give extended pathing for short distances... I'm in the process of compiling information about it.

This is a VERY annoying bug which happens at most juke spots, near trees and especially towers.

Currently I've managed to recreate the problems I've had before in these places, but they occur in many more places especially if you start to cut down the single tree juke/choke points.

RED CIRCLE = starting point
    RED X = click location
    RED ARROW = expected path
    BLUE ARROW = actual path

In places such as this, where 2 paths are equal, the engine should CHOOSE ONE instead of making your hero run in a circle until one path becomes longer, forcing him to go down the 'shorter' one

Towers seem to have a 200 range forcefield which messes up pathing whenever it feels like it, turning short distances into huge treks for your hero

This last image is the one which annoys me the most, as it really doesn't make sense when I tried to think about it.. The hero starts on the correct (shortest) path, then decides the tree is blocking the path and walks around it.

I've noticed these pathing issues tend to happen a lot more commonly when the region which is causing the 'glitch' is in the fog.
    Last edited by durkadurka; 04-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.

They have a 200 range force field cause of the original tower size in DotA 1. They should just increase tower scale so that people don't mistake it for a force field.

Quote Originally Posted by ILY.BBE View Post
    They have a 200 range force field cause of the original tower size in DotA 1. They should just increase tower scale so that people don't mistake it for a force field.
    Or make the collision size smaller. Anyways great that you do this guys. There is one more spot over the right side shop.

Basic Member
    I have noticed this, too. Great thread.

Another very BIG Pathing issue is when an enemy jukes through tress like at the Sentinel Mid Tower right juke spot and you click into the fog ahead of his anticipated movement, the hero will follow the expected path until he gets a milisecond glimpse of the enemy who is regarded by the pathing system as blocking the direct way to the clicked destination (the juke path only allows one hero through) so the pathing forces the hero to walk out of the jukespot and around to reach the destination. Expected would be even if the enemy hero stops and doesn't move anymore that your hero would hug up against the enemy hero trying to get passed him. This hugging up sounds like dumber behaviour at first, but on second thought your hero does not turn around and walk a much longer path. Even a milisecond of your hero turning back decides a towerdive such as in Sentinel Mid lane tower right juke spot This is really really annoying and forces a lot of mistakes that I have seen even in progames.

Basic Member
    a picture really would help, morvan. i know what you mean, but you should still illustrate it.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

+1 nice thread.

+1 very annoying

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    a picture really would help, morvan. i know what you mean, but you should still illustrate it.

This is one of the jukespots where this is the most annoying and gamebreaking the trees near the Sentinel mid Lane Tier1 Tower(the picture is from DotA1 where this was not an issue, but the dota2 map looks the same):
    Imaging a towerdive from Dire into this Radiant Spot. Let's imagine the Radiant Mid Solo Hero jukes the towerdive by running into the trees through the straight vertical white line and thus disappears out of vision as soon as he is approximately at the joining point of the three top lines. Your towerdiving hero will follow closely and as soon as the enemy disappears rightclicking the enemy doesn't work of course as you have lost vision, so you will click somewhere between the top joining and the bottom joining point of the white lines, so that your hero walks through the same path as the enemy. If your hero in his movement gets only a milisecond glance of the enemy he will immediately turn around and go upwards on the straight vertical white line out of the trees the way he came to take a much much longer route: namely counterclockwise AROUND the trees.

I understand that the root of the problem lies in the fact that a hero in DotA2 looking for a route will take the one that is not blocked by a unit. In this case the jukepath is blocked for a milisecond, thus the system thinks the best way is to walk around the trees. It would be much better if the hero would just try to walk the designated path and ONLY turn around if the path is blocked for a longer period of time than just a milisecond.

Basic Member
    the difference of the pathing algorithms in dota 1 and 2 in morvan's case is that warcraft 3 only bypasses the blocked passage, when you click in the moment, it is blocked. if you are already running towards a blocked passage and new information is revealed on the way, you will continue until you run into the obstacle. thats, what i can remember from warcraft 3, but i dont think, it had anything to do with "how long the blocked passage is visible". the pathing of dota 2 is simply too "advanced" on that matter, making it unreliable.