Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] New Item Grid

[Suggestion] New Item Grid

After almost 3 years, imo it's time to update the real ingame shop properly. Even now it's still a mess and impossible to find items. The reason is because items are inconsistently ordered in an increasing price.
    Taking "increasing price" to arrange the items in 1 column is one of the worst ideas, given we've got a way more natural way to arrange them.
    Let us think in categories and leave the idea of putting everything in 1 column behind us.
    What's a better way to arrange. For this I want to take DotA as example. The items are arranged in a rectangle there.

Compare the following arrangements. You can clearly tell it's 12 items in the 2nd case. In the 1st case, most people struggle to see immediatly that it's 12 as well - actually you have to count in the 1st case
    Anordnung Spalte VS Rechteck.png

Now let's see how a 3rd shop view could be a real quality of life change. Im fed up using the search bar or items in the suggested list to actually find the items I am looking for.
    http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...7&d=1416686693
    http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...8&d=1416686750
    http://dev.dota2.com/attachment.php?...9&d=1416686771

NewShopView.jpg
    NewShopView2.jpg
    NewShopView3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bashtime; 11-22-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Updating

Another Old Post

I thought I make a structure that makes sense and which is easy recognizable. Some items in the original D1 shops (= smaller pics) are still unsorted which I changed. Below my result you can see how the shops are structured. Price is a really bad structure since it rips items apart that belong together. Let's take the 2nd Basic shop column for the attributes. Descending gauntlet, slipper, mantle. => Descending gautlet belt Ogre a lot better. Imho colums are extremly inferior compared to Rectangles. Are there actually any reasons against it? Rectangles have alot lower perimeter than rows. Think about it.

What do you think? Please share your thoughts.

[BR][/BR]
    Explanation to structure

Rectangles create units Columns don't. Try to imagine 64 sheep in a row e.g.. Hard to tell, isn't it? Now imagine a 4x4x4 Cube. Though Rectangles create cool units already, it would be awesome to have items that need same components are next to each other i.e. RoB, RoA and Vlad e.g. because they all need RoB. If there are no similarities COLOR-sheme makes nice units. butter etheral armlet and shblade are a green row e.g. Protectorate uses Type of Defense: Physical EHP increase, Magical EHP increase, HP increase. I think it helps alot to find items quickly. I love patterns.

Note: The small grids show original D1 arrangement.

Credits to Konung for the D1 arrangement!

"Rectangles aid readability"
    OLD POST

This is an easy intuitive system of how to see items that you need quickly and have a nice hotkey access to it. It almost explains itself.
    Do you like it? Let me know. At the moment it's just about the concept and not the final way it will look like. Space will be optimated etc.

Valve sorted all items by prize "<=" which isnt really intuitive. Items that do same/similar effects make a unit. Item have similiar look make a unit. I sorted items by "What they have in common and complement each other" rather than a simple less equal relation.
    I think units make it much easier to find items.
    The pictures below just demonstrate the hotkey system.

Read below, if you want to know how exactly this is structured.

Hotkey-System
    Scoreboard: Alt-^
    Shop: ^
    Basics + Secret: 1, Upgrades: 2, Side Shop: 3
    Change Column: Tab (from left to right)
    Change Row: CapsLock

The Chosen 3x4 Rectangle:

QWER
    ASDF
    YXCV (ZXCV for other keyboards)

shophotkeysver8.jpg
    shopsHotkey2.jpg
    shophotkeysver4.jpg
    shopvers5.jpg

I had following Order for standard shops:

1) Attributes, Sena, Side and Secret Shop

I was anxious, to have Str Items in the Left, Agi in the Middle, and Int in the right column and all attribute after it for all shops
    Hp and Mana before Hp before Mana Booster
    Hp regen before Mana regen

2) In Armanents
    Here I splitted items in DEFENSE and OFFENSE. DEFENSE items first, OFFENSE items second sorted by Prize x<=y<=z<=u

3) Misc
    Used rules of 1) and as
    additional criteria: Same or similar Color Pattern to have a unit

Upgrade shops will be arranged this way:

-Gateway relics
    First row Stats items is a unit
    Second Row MS items is a unit
    Third Row Reg items is a unit

-Supportive Vestments

Predeccesor-item-principle: Items on the right have predeccesor which are placed left to them

First Row Armor-based items developing in each other is a unit
    Second Row Meka, Pipe Predeccessor
    Third Row: Urn, Janggo is Unit and sorted by prize; Boots apply 1) and Prize

-Intitems
    they apply the rule of color pattern to create units

-Tankitems
    First Row: Physical HP increase items is a unit
    Second Row: Magical resistance increase items is a unit
    Third Row: actual HP increase Items is a unit

-Orbs
    3 Predeccesor-principle and Color pattern units by rows

-Damage
    Same as Orbs
    Last edited by Bashtime; 11-22-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Basic Member
    I liked your design, really better than the current one (I use the "full visualization").

not bad, but how hotkeys will work here?

Basic Member
    hmm i think with your shopinterface the screen would be too full, something in between the current one and yours would be nice.
    also i like the current searchoption more, you only get displayed what you want so see

+1 for icons.

The problem with the full interface is that it makes the use of hotkeys difficult.

Suggestion:
    When in the shop, pressing the 1-8 (or however many shops there are) selects a shop, placing a border/highlight around that shop, and activating the hotkeys for that shop only until another shop is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by rulerofiron99 View Post
    +1 for icons.

The problem with the full interface is that it makes the use of hotkeys difficult.

Suggestion:
    When in the shop, pressing the 1-8 (or however many shops there are) selects a shop, placing a border/highlight around that shop, and activating the hotkeys for that shop only until another shop is selected.
    do you really need hotkeys when you only need 1 rightclick to get the full item? In dota1 I understand that because you must buy every single component. But let me see to make you pleased

thanks guys for the positive feedback so far.
    I will think of an hotkeyversion and add it

If you are not in range, side shop might dissappear completly and secret shop might have some grey shading over the icons.
    and some kind of subtle white rectangles around the shop that lead your items to go directly to your inventory. Gonna update soon.

bump

Basic Member
    Really like this layout format, beats clicking through pages. +1

badamp