Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion]MVP system

[Suggestion]MVP system

Hi there,

Using the commend/recommend player system to reward a good player in my team, I noticed there is actually no commend for being "good", I mean, there is "teaching", "friendly", "forgiving" (wtf <=) and "leadership", but no simple one like "skilled".

My suggestion is simple, implement a MVP system which would be displayed on ending screen when the game is over, and there you would have the possibility to vote for the game MVP (add an icon next to players names for example). You are not forced to vote, and you can't vote for yourself either. The player who get the most votes will have a "MVP", like any other commendation.

This way you can see how many times one got MVP and compare with his number of games, allowing to evaluate a player's skill.

Could be a great idea. Only problem is friends are gonna spam each other.

Instead of being a vote based system, the game can analyize your performance during the game.Not only depending on the score also depends on EXP and gold per minute, last hits, support skills and items, pushes, help doing roshan etc etc not just based on score..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiRo View Post
    Instead of being a vote based system, the game can analyize your performance during the game.Not only depending on the score also depends on EXP and gold per minute, last hits, support skills and items, pushes, help doing roshan etc etc not just based on score..
    For all we know, the system already does this. I mean, it tracks your performance with each hero -- it isn't a far stretch to think they're using it for matchmaking purposes. With the recent influx of complaints about matchmaking, it is feasible that they changed how matchmaking worked recently. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Duflair View Post
    Hi there,

Using the commend/recommend player system to reward a good player in my team, I noticed there is actually no commend for being "good", I mean, there is "teaching", "friendly", "forgiving" (wtf <=) and "leadership", but no simple one like "skilled".

My suggestion is simple, implement a MVP system which would be displayed on ending screen when the game is over, and there you would have the possibility to vote for the game MVP (add an icon next to players names for example). You are not forced to vote, and you can't vote for yourself either. The player who get the most votes will have a "MVP", like any other commendation.

This way you can see how many times one got MVP and compare with his number of games, allowing to evaluate a player's skill.
    The commendation system isn't meant to reward skilled players. It is meant to reward people you enjoyed playing with, regardless of their skill. Dota is a game with a rather unenjoyable community at times, and Valve is trying to work on that. You don't need a commendation for skilled -- that will show up in the statistics. You do need commendations/reports for behavior though.

Basic Member
    being the mvp usually is rewarding in itself. even though i d still like to see something like this, it's either hard to implement or very abusable.

friends will always try to give each other those titles, some even in contrast to their playstyle. you can see that effect at the current commendation system.
    the need for the feature becomes clear at the current commendation system too. some people use the "friendly" category to reward their favorite ally, others use all four categories, some observers only use "teaching", which is actually the most appropriate.

the most accurate way to determine an mvp is an algorithmical approach. but as you can see at the current performance rating system, this is a very messy process. many good plays, a few of which biro already listed, just can not be detected automatically (helping at roshan = damage at roshan?) or are easily abusable (put a venomancer ward at rosh every time you pass the river, kill roshan at lvl 25 -> immensive damage to roshan, no necessary impact on the game).

my hope is, that once the perfomance bars are more advanced, the player with the best performance rating in the game should be made mvp (can be one of the losing team too).

p.s.: i guess the "forgiving" category is for those people, who dont stomp their allies in the ground, when they become firstblood, sleep during a fight, lose the game by a stupid mistake or are just a bit behind the teams standards. having been very generous in a good few of my games, protecting the nooby from the rest of the team, i have NEVER (literally) gotten a commendation for it. despite the fact, that it brought forth some kind of kindred spirit in me, the category is pretty unsatisfying.
    Or in other words: i have received more commendations (i have around 40 summing up all of them) for good play, than for actual good behaviour.
    Last edited by blash365; 04-15-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Perhaps the MVP voting system could only be used in solo matchmaking once its implemented. If your playing with a team, it doesn't really matter, but carrying or supporting a random pub team to victory is more deserving of an "MVP" commendation.

Already on the Common Suggestions list for spectators to be able to do this.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=19286
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

It's a nice idea, but I think it should be determined by the game itself. Votes are not neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    It's a nice idea, but I think it should be determined by the game itself. Votes are not neutral
    Thats not what the OP suggested.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    Thats not what the OP suggested.
    And I know it, but I'm here to discuss

OP suggested:
    implement a MVP system which would be displayed on ending screen when the game is over, and there you would have the possibility to vote for the game MVP (add an icon next to players names for example).
    I agree with the concept of defining a MVP, but the approach is very abusable. If I play with 4 friends we will obviously vote for one of us. The other team can do the same, so?

Spectators voting could be good, but there are not always spectators for every game...