Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Improve interface on AoE spells

Basic Member
    Showing AoE by hovering is fine.

Basic Member
    totaly no need...wtf ?? just use the spell 2 times in a game and u should had learned its range and its aoe....so ez tasks and u em everything rdy on ur screen maybe an auto clicker for dota 2 guys??

Quote Originally Posted by WithOutNam3 View Post
    totaly no need...wtf ?? just use the spell 2 times in a game and u should had learned its range and its aoe....so ez tasks and u em everything rdy on ur screen maybe an auto clicker for dota 2 guys??
    2 times? I wish we could all be pro like you

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panter_d17 View Post
    2 times? I wish we could all be pro like you
    I think he's right. At least for me, whenever I use an AoE spell, like QoP's ult or Jakiro's abilities, I automatically memorize it's range and field of effect.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panter_d17 View Post
    Its not about aiming rather about not knowing aoe shape, I added these to Graphical Summary of HUD/UI Requests a while back but didn't posted here. This would solve the problem for new players and wouldn't need to change the way those abilities are used atm.
    This is pretty much what I had in mind, though on spell selection / preparation. However, it would not display the full effect of the spell, simply the width and expansion angle from the cast point / Hero.

Regardless, I think that display on mouse-over alone would be very appreciative of anyone who's trying to pick up the Hero they're playing at a faster pace.
    Last edited by Toxic Blossom; 05-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Hell no. -1
    Making the game simpler is not our goal, making the design look simple is a whole new story. Simple look for a complex game.

Basic Member
    No! this is rediculous.. if they ask u, u can say u want your hero to kill the creeps by itself??

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudasPiss View Post
    I think he's right. At least for me, whenever I use an AoE spell, like QoP's ult or Jakiro's abilities, I automatically memorize it's range and field of effect.
    This can only be true if you played dota for years and you have excellent understanding of aoes. Besides that you played multiple times with all heroes and already know their aoes. When a new aoe spell comes out its not hard for you to memorize it after 2 uses. Now imagine someone that just starts to play and has to learn 100 heroes, 100 items, 400 spels... do you honestly think he will use spell 2 times and automatically memorize it? No he will use it 50 times than try 20 different heroes and when he comes back to it he will not know the exact aoe shape and range of the spell. Thats why aoe range mouseover is here and its not ridiculous because you don't need it. This is a valid improvement to mouseover function.

Basic Member
    I don't get why people hate this so much. More information is (almost) always a plus in my book, and this particular change might actually help newbies learn the game (in particular with spells where the animation doesn't match the actual AoE a 100%). On the other hand I don't really see any harm in it either for the veterans, its not like the spell in gonna cast itself if someone comes into range. If it is such a big deal, just add an option to turn AoE indicators off.

+1