Thread: Chen

Chen

Born in the godless Ghazhadal Wastes, Chen came of age among the outlaw tribes who eked out an existence in the shimmering heat of the vast desert. Always on the edge of starvation and thirst, fighting amongst their neighbors and each other, Chenís clan made the mistake, one fateful day, of ambushing the wrong caravan. In the vicious battle that followed, Chenís clan was outmatched. They fought the armored Knights of the Fold and were cut down like beasts. Chen struggled, and slashed, and clawed, and perishedóor would have. Defeated, on his knees, he faced his execution with humility, offering his neck to the blade. Moved by Chenís obvious courage, the executioner halted his sword. Instead of the blade, Chen was given a choice: death or conversion. Chen took to the faith with a ferocity. He joined the Fold, and earned his armor one bloody conversion at a time. Now, with the fanaticism of a convert, he seeks out unbelievers and introduces them to their final reward.

I like the story itself, but I feel like it clashes a little bit with his gameplay. The thing that feels a bit odd about this to me is that while the story seems to imply that he goes around converting people, he doesn't really get to convert any humans in his gameplay. He makes his in-game army out of various animals or demi-humans (harpies, centaurs) that he finds in the woods. A little bit of explanation bridging this would be nice.

Core Tester
    All of his skills have faith based names though, it doesnt really make sense from a story stand that he is a missionary who converts animals...but thats what he does ingame

Quote Originally Posted by blaow View Post
    All of his skills have faith based names though, it doesnt really make sense from a story stand that he is a missionary who converts animals...but thats what he does ingame
    I agree, that's why I wouldn't want completely different lore that portrays him like the Pocahontas Disney movie where he grows up loving all of the animals of the forest -- the missionary thing is cool and seems generally fitting for him being a holy knight that has some followers. It's just that missionaries usually just convert people, but Chen tends to run around in the woods with a wolf, a centaur, and a bear as his converts. I feel like it's a bit much of a gap to leave completely open, I don't think it would be too hard to fix with a line or two about, "Chen was so fanatical about his cause that he recruited every living thing he encountered, down to the very animals he crossed paths with," or some such.

Hmmm, I always imagined Omniknight to be the zealous fanatic and Chen the wise, fatherly figure, but I guess Chen being the fanatic who converts people, makes more sense. Now we have a third desert, Scintillating Waste (Sand King), Ghazdal Wastes (Chen), Desert of Misrule (Lina), merge 1?

On the animal thingy: Ursas aswell as Centaurs or Satyrs are sentient beings in DotA 1, why wouldn't they be sentient in Dota 2? We know they are becasue of Riki, Centaur Warchief or Ursa. The Missionary thingy makes totally sense to me.

I assume Keeper of the Light and Omniknight belong to the Knights of the Fold too?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairraider View Post
    On the animal thingy: Ursas aswell as Centaurs or Satyrs are sentient beings in DotA 1, why wouldn't they be sentient in Dota 2? We know they are becasue of Riki, Centaur Warchief or Ursa. The Missionary thingy makes totally sense to me.
    This.
    I like this story a lot. A dark past that is fully explained XD

Chairraider makes a good point. In Dota 1, Chen is an Orc, and most of the units he converts are sentient (and sometimes even cunning) beings: Ogres, Satyrs, Ents, Ghouls, Centaurs, Trolls, Banshees, etc. The human race is only one among a bunch of other races, and while some are more "civilizated" than others, they are all unique on their own right. I believe this should remain in Dota2: Humans are not the dominating race, and perhaps not even the most important one.

This is better reflected in Chen's D1 backstory, on the phrase "his followers come from every race, every background". The word "followers" denotes that he's not taming wild beasts, but rather convencing/magically influencing beings capable of making their own allegiances and decisions to join his cause.

Well, at least that's how I see Chen. If he was instead just subjugating "lesser beings" to do his will, he'll be more of a Beast Master than a Holy Knight.

However, the point stands that his story indeed gives the idea that he converts people. Perhaps some lines adressing this issue could solve the problem, but without killing his "Holy Knight" feel. Maybe a little "His ability to influence other beings knows no boundaries, allowing him to recruit creatures from the most diverse races to join his cause" or something along those lines. That would make his gameplay attune with the story, without stripping him of the "leader with an army of loyal zealots" persona.

Knight of the fold, would be cool if the vigil knights would be some kind of order withing the knights of the fold.....

This is better reflected in Chen's D1 backstory, on the phrase "his followers come from every race, every background". The word "followers"
    I really agree on this part.

Basic Member
    This has all been said already, but yeah chen needs to be a lot more holy or faith based, he is more of a wise holy inspiring leader then some strange cultist slayer.