Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The amazing AI of enemy bots...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcrow666 View Post
    That would be new. Never seen a game do that.
    Warcraft DotA AI maps do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachy View Post
    Warcraft DotA AI maps do.
    If you have read any of my posts... I never played Dota.. lol.

Basic Member
    From what I'm seeing Ally bots are crap, several times I've lost matches because of what seems like a team imbalance, in fact I found Normal easier than "easier", My team seems to be rather incompetent to the point where I'm trying to carry the team, I'm a few levels and kills above the rest of of my team, and still lose, and at the worst one of my ally bots ended up with a 0:5 K within the first 10mins.

We need a feature to make the Ally-only bots of higher difficulty, or perhaps like with the wc3 mod, make each Computer player a specific difficulty, but something needs to be done, or new players are gonna leave pretty much straight away if they can't win against a simple minded computer.

You got to remember that a completely new group of players know Nothing, that means nothing about items, stuns, carries, supports, gankers or even ganking, if you want people to play you will need something that allows people to learn without people bitching about feeding or calling people stupid, when you start a game you don't get any info about how the game is played, the "learn" page is severally lacking info, this is the first game I've ever played where you should look up guides to just win against bots.

me and friends have played 5 humans against bots, yet we still lost on "easy", the bots are just too good for complete noobs, perhaps the difficulty setting should have a "max" to team formations, easier = 2, easy = 3, and normal no max. this way you can practice ganks without worrying to much about losing them.
    Last edited by aphocus; 04-25-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcrow666 View Post
    Exactly! Enemy AI is crazy coordinated with its self. Meanwhile the ones that are on your team are running around like headless chickens.
    its exactly like a normal game of dota. your team is stupid and the other team are pros.

Basic Member
    And i hope this is a bug because if it's not is just amazing...all enemy bots can see invisible heroes. Although walking invisible and not atacking nothing 5 enemy bots with super detection radars gank me appearing from the for corners of the map just to erase me from existance... i know your bots love me but that's a bit toooo much ! Sometimes i get the impression that the only reason the bots start ganking you is to waste time and stop you from having a normal fun 15 minutes game on easy dificulty... although my ally bots are not that bright and aren't really usefull (to be fair that maybe usefull 1% of the time) i win the game anyway, and i am a new player in DOTA2, after 30/45 minutes of infinite personal ganking and boring gameplay...not really the best experience.
    The game has potencial and i enjoy the game in general...the bots department is umbalanced, our bots too dumb and the enemy ones too OP and with super powers...And the dificulty doesn' follow a logical ladder, from passive (target practice) to very easy (the powerteam of five murdering teleporting combo ganking with x vision decepticons!!) is a gigantic leap
    This is not a rant, again i think you guys are doing a great job and beta is beta...just trying to sugest that the experience of the new player can be less frustrating, more fun, allow experimentation and help improve the learning process of game basics.

Ps: Zeus BOt is the most annoying OP thing i have ever seen, maybe enroll him in a pro tournament were he does a penta kill with is ultimate not seeing the other team players and standing in his base This hapened in a coop game against bots... losing interest in the game, its hard to find games we have to wait for ages, and the games with bots are getting ridiculous and boring...
    Last edited by colder; 04-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by colder View Post
    And i hope this is a bug because if it's not is just amazing...all enemy bots can see invisible heroes. Although walking invisible and not atacking nothing 5 enemy bots with super detection radars gank me appearing from the for corners of the map just to erase me from existance... i know your bots love me but that's a bit toooo much ! Sometimes i get the impression that the only reason the bots start ganking you is to waste time and stop you from having a normal fun 15 minutes game on easy dificulty... although my ally bots are not that bright and aren't really usefull (to be fair that maybe usefull 1% of the time) i win the game anyway, and i am a new player in DOTA2, after 30/45 minutes of infinite personal ganking and boring gameplay...not really the best experience.
    The game has potencial and i enjoy the game in general...the bots department is umbalanced, our bots too dumb and the enemy ones too OP and with super powers...And the dificulty doesn' follow a logical ladder, from passive (target practice) to very easy (the powerteam of five murdering teleporting combo ganking with x vision decepticons!!) is a gigantic leap
    This is not a rant, again i think you guys are doing a great job and beta is beta...just trying to sugest that the experience of the new player can be less frustrating, more fun, allow experimentation and help improve the learning process of game basics.

Ps: Zeus BOt is the most annoying OP thing i have ever seen, maybe enroll him in a pro tournament were he does a penta kill with is ultimate not seeing the other team players and standing in his base This hapened in a coop game against bots... losing interest in the game, its hard to find games we have to wait for ages, and the games with bots are getting ridiculous and boring...
    My thoughts exactly, thinking of going back to DotA 1, but I do love me the new graphics and stuff. Waiting for a game though, that's common in every game, even DotA 1, the only difference there is you're waiting for people to join the lobby. But about enemy bots being able to see invisible heroes, that has not happened to me. They either have a gem you didn't see, or they dusted you. I have never really seen them use the true sight wards, but I've known them to buy gems. And I'm certain because when I play on Unfair with heroes like Invoker, they only start to counter me after they've seen me use Ghost Walk a couple of times. I usually escape the first 2 or 3 times I use it.

But in my opinion, things about the bots that are done badly in DotA 2 as opposed to DotA 1's AI maps. And before people jump at me because this is a "big budget game" with "good developers". I don't care, DotA 1's devs are volunteers and they do a damn fine job, no excuses here please.

-No repicking of heroes after they're done picking. If we could make the bots repick, it would alleviate the shitty line-ups with Zeus being a total jackass on your team or the enemy or even put some stunners into a team that seems devoid of them whereas the enemy team has 4 stunners. And if the player randoms a support hero, we could at least repick without having to start the game anew.

-No ability to send heroes to different lanes or order a big push. I've had several games where we take out 4 out of 5 bots on the enemy team and instead of pushing mid, they decide to abandon me and just go have fun with neutrals.

-No reporting of missing bots. I think the single biggest complaint of most players in a regular game is that new players or confused players don't report missing heroes.

-Completely imbalanced bots, your team sucks, period. The enemy team isn't pro team worthy, but when you're fighting a 1v5 late game, they sure as hell could be. And don't tell me I shouldn't solo them. What am I to do when my team is dead and they're attempting to rax me?

-Bots either don't tank Roshan or are complete douchebags and will attempt to "aid" you in defeating roshan when they're far away and have to go through the enemy team to do it.

All these things I mentioned, exist and work in DotA 1's AI maps. The only thing these bots in DotA 2 have over the old AI is their actual intelligence. They gank well(enemy team), they know how to push(enemy team), they know how to co-operate(enemy team). The old AI was low in skill level, but it's consistent. If they're bad on the enemy team, they're bad on your team. They would err on the side of being overtly cautious, but it's a lot better than stupid heroes on your team trying to farm a lane in the late game phase with 3 enemy bots clearly pushing it.
    Last edited by articulate; 04-26-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Valve Developer
    No one should jump on you for giving useful feedback like those bullet points. Thanks for your feedback, we're working on improving all the things you've listed.

Basic Member
    I think they are right. The bots are pretty easy to beat even in insane mode if you understand how dota works but when you start this type of game it's actually really hard to win against them even in easy/normal mode, i think you make them "too good", no one like to loose against bots on easy mode. I mean i suck like no one else at CS and i win against easy bots, i would be mad otherwise.

Or at least you should add new bots with less CC because the team comps they do are really CC heavy, it's almost "get BKB" everytime. Bane is probably the most annoying bot to play against. These CC heavy comps are not that good for beginners because if they miss their positionning (so basically all the time since they are beginners) bots unleash hell on them and they get "one shotted".

Thank you for hear us out ChrisC. I will keep trying my best to give more feedback.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    No one should jump on you for giving useful feedback like those bullet points. Thanks for your feedback, we're working on improving all the things you've listed.
    Thanks for reading.