Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated DOTA 2 Item icons - Visual Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    as for satanic, it's clearly lovecraftian inspired, so that's cool, but i think most people associate lifesteal with 'red' generally, and the abrupt shift of tone is probably off putting
    My main issue is that I have no idea what it is. If I was shown that icon without knowing what it was, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was a weapon, a piece of armor, or a staff. I'd probably be tempted to guess a bow due to the curve in the middle. The icon just doesn't fit with the name "Satanic" in my opinion.

They are awsome, EoS is so hardcore bad ass!
    Dont know what ppls problem is. But i will make a in depth analysis when im t home!

Nice work, thx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttempest View Post
    Duh... its the IceFrog dude. Kinda like Chuck Norris just in Dota.

IMO the new icons are better looking than the old ones.Except Abyssal Blade.Horrible old icon,nothing(well nothing significant) changed in the new.Was really looking forward to seeing something less...bland and poorly drawn than the old icon.

desolator isnt so good,
    energy booster the old one was better,
    the gem is strange,
    what about boots of elvenskin, theyre no longer boots now? :S,
    mjollnir and maelstrom look childish,
    headdress what is this? :S ,
    reaver is too dark indeed,
    basilus and aquila are nice to see some difference between states,
    void stone looks more like a stone now,
    urn of shadows has grass growing out >> it should be some shadows am I right? ,
    eye of skadi looks more of an eye as well,
    also some items are too "shiny" , like hood

just my opinion
    Last edited by VeRychard; 04-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    >Click< here to make a clicking sound.

Overall average (K+A)/D and K/D tracker, and a MMR solution?

Basic Member
    Thank you. I don't the actual design of most of the new ones, but some of the items got some strange effects going on.

For instance dagon and reaver are hard to distinguish (dark reds fade into black), arcane boot got weird effects going on, pipe of wisdom is a clusterfuck, what the hell is going on with headdress etc. Overall there's too much background noise from "effects" or the colors are too dark making them fade into the black background. The result is a kind of "muddy" impression.

For the record I'm colorblind, so I got troubles with colors sometimes.

edit: Also I liked the old Magic Wand better.
    Last edited by Kakee; 04-25-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Basic Member
    I really do not like the change in items. They look childish and gimmicky to me.

To be quite honest I think valve just wants to appeal to the LoL and HoN crowds with stuff like this. I don't really know why everyone loves these icons. I talked to a lot of friends today who all said they hate the items and a newer player that is a friend of mine even said that the new UI changes and items have really turned him away from the game. I don't particularly care for the way this is headed and I really hope that valve inputs some way to change the UI back or that you can have your own UI's.

Maybe I am just some crazy guy that is resistant to change, but I cannot stand the new UI changes.

Sorry for the poor English.

The items lost it's solidity because of the added glows and mists. However some of them look a lot nicer than before (Force Staff and Heaven's Halberd)
    I'd give it a both thumbs up and down...
    Welcome to Left 4 Portal Strike of the Fortress 2: Episode 3.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukhead View Post
    To be quite honest I think valve just wants to appeal to the LoL and HoN crowds with stuff like this.
    this doesn't even make any sense. valve wants to tend to players from league of legends and heroes of newerth players by changing the item icons to subliminally draw them to the game? do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

have you even seen or played lol or hon? throw up a google search for items in both games then come back to this thread.

Basic Member
    Alot of them are nice. I just wish they werent so DARK. It's hard to make out in the inventory at times. Not all have this issue of course but alot do.

rofl, just noticed, dont know if you did, however the gem icon changed, but if you drop the item it looks the same as before
    >Click< here to make a clicking sound.

Overall average (K+A)/D and K/D tracker, and a MMR solution?