Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated DOTA 2 Item icons - Visual Comparison

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Updated DOTA 2 Item icons - Visual Comparison

Here's a visual list of all the new icons compared with the old for feedback purposes.
    Ignore the broken pixels on elvenskin/courier/diffusal. Don't ask.

Edit: uploaded higher quality image.

Full version here: http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...ON-NEW-OLD.png
    Imgur link: http://imgur.com/Y3AuT
    More appropriate item names: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=32422

Update: Several of the items have had minor fixes to make them slightly less repulsive.

Imgur link: http://imgur.com/JGgoZ (Courtesy of Drkirby)

Last edited by Mittsies; 04-26-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    retards don't count as people.

Wow, thank you for this.

Maybe someone can sticky?

Basic Member
    It looks awesome! I don't know why there are some complaining?
    btw for the new reaver icon: it looks a bit too dark isn't it?
    Last edited by BourbonX; 04-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonX View Post
    It looks awesome! I don't know why there are some complaining?
    btw for the new reaver icon: it looks a bit too dark isn't it?
    Oh the irony.

I love most of the new ones for the items that were obviously using place holder art, but many of the redesigns for some of the "complete" icons are completely different to the originals and seem a bit too "frilly."

They're just... meh

Some of the new items designs look pretty great. For example the new dagon and the new necro that viasually change when you upgrade them seem a beautiful idea to me. I liked the crit items too that seem to be built with the same red steel\stone thing.Aura items are great too.. but for the most new items i have to say that they're pretty pre alpha looking and with that glowish\darkish\shoe polish design you gave them they look like the hon style items (I played 2 hon games once, my first impression was terribad cuz of the items\heroes graphics).

tl:dr A couple of items are great, the others look like an average FREE to play asian MMO game items

PS GIVE ME MY KATANA STYLE YASHA BACK

Quote Originally Posted by Isashu View Post
    Some of the new items designs look pretty great. For example the new dagon and the new necro that viasually change when you upgrade them seem a beautiful idea to me. I liked the crit items too that seem to be built with the same red steel\stone thing.Aura items are great too.. but for the most new items i have to say that they're pretty pre alpha looking and with that glowish\darkish\shoe polish design you gave them they look like the hon style items (I played 2 hon games once, my first impression was terribad cuz of the items\heroes graphics).

tl:dr A couple of items are great, the others look like an average FREE to play asian MMO game items

PS GIVE ME MY KATANA STYLE YASHA BACK
    Now that items has been "reworked" i kinda start to like em. Still don't like the new yasha and headress but i guess that they're pretty ok overall
    ps I like the new satanic and i LOVE the samurai style mask of madness

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx
    I do not know if you have played trading card games before, but I can tell you that by visual studies, most players identify their cards even at a long distance away just by the color of the small design art space.
    The same goes for computer games. If you have set an item to be specifically a certain color for so long, there is no reason why you should change it to confuse the players.
    This is visual design we are talking about, not just plain art. The art has to complement the item's purpose.
    You could have different designs for an item, but the color palette has to remain largely the same, because players identify by color and the general shape of the item more so than by the intricate detail of the item.

This is extremely important in a competitive game because players will click on enemy heroes to see their items and recognise what they have. This usually takes place over 1 second or less and any detail that serves to complicate the player's ability to recognise the items instantly affects gameplay by a large extent.
    This sums up what Im trying to say about all the new item icons.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    I think it Satanic "Hammer of the cup" (you lead them to fight and drink from it)
    A mixture of the two images pr_8275_img_2950-120x120.jpg and Даэдра_молот.jpg
    Last edited by IntRandom; 04-26-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks, this is well needed!

Basic Member
    Thanks for this. Some of them look amazing, some of them don't. But overall I'd say none of them look worse then the original.