Thread: Item Icons Discussion

Banned

Item Icons Discussion

Credit goes to Mittsies for Creating the Comparison:

I will just list the bad for me:

• Armlet: the old one was more obvious, the new one is interested with Arm Open, Arm Closed, but it needs to be a tad bigger
    • Boots of Elvenskin: It will most likely be renamed to smth else by the looks of it.
    • Boots of Speed are still FUGLY
    • Eul Scepter is kinda low quality image. Don't enjoy it much.
    • Diffusal lvl2 needs an extra glow / effect
    • Force Staff: really hard to see it's details. Make it simpler or more contrasted
    • Gem: how about you put a greenish eye in the middle of that rock?
    • Deadalus: please revert to the old one, it was awesome.
    • MoM and HotD are too similar right now
    • Mjollnir is awful
    • Necro: the book is better but the different color backgrounds were a good addition to quickly realize what level it was
    • Pipe: more contrast please
    • Reaver: lighter background or smth, you can't see what it is
    • Satanic: dafuq???
    • Scythe of Vyse: I don't like it, it's ugly, I prefered the old model, much nicer.
    • Urn: a bit less of the green stuff and it's good

I really have a problem with the background and the angles getting in the way of the actual items. The colored backgrounds in a lot of the icons are taking away from the ability to recognize items instantly. When I look at a list of items, I need unique items, not these blended pastel backgrounds with subtle subjects as well. Basically, A lot of the icons are needlessly dark. Dark things look similar to each other, which is a bad thing when it comes to items. There has to be a lot less of these same-color backgrounds when it's darker. Items are not fading into existence from darkness- I buy them with gold to ANNIHILATE my enemies. Give it some semblance of power and recognition. Make them shine and make them look impressive! I honestly can't tell strength reaver from concrete.

Armlet looks so pale in comparison to the old icon. In the old icon, when you used it, fucking PURPLE POWER flowed from it. When it was on, you KNEW it. There is no semblance of strength or power coming from the armlet, especially when it's open. I'm not going to punch someone with an open hand- it's the exact opposite, making this icon incredibly counter-intuitive.

Purge blade looks less colorful now. I don't know why they did that. Desolator looks great with its new color- like it's deadly. They dulled purge blade making it look less dangerous, when it is a FUCKING DANGEROUS item. Why make it look weaker? Take a look at Maelstrom/Charged hammer. They CHARGED that hammer. It looks GREAT! More of that! Same thing with Mask of Madness. It looks so passive now, not crazy at all. It has the word "MADNESS" in its name, and you take a big risk to use it. MAKE IT CRAZY!

Mjolnir looks absolutely terrible. I honestly thought it was a stingray.

New icons that I enjoy
    Euls (but maybe more semblance to a tornado, like its ability?)
    Dagon (finally, a way to distinguish!)
    Deso
    Dust (shit looks MAGICAL now)
    Midas (LOOK, it has COINS in its picture! FINALLY an indication of what it does!)
    Helm of Dom (too dark, but WOW, it looks badass now!)
    Heaven's Halberd
    Maelstrom/Charged Hammer
    Manta
    Medallion
    Hammer (+16 damage one)
    MKB (if only it didn't look so dull)
    Necrobook (different levels!)
    Orb of Venom (I FINALLY can see that it resembles a SNAKE!)
    Orchids (looks deadly!)
    Refresher
    RoB (On)
    RoH
    Skadi (but too dark)
    Ulti Orb (This thing looks FANTASTIC, but for some reason linkens is less shinier. WHY!?)
    Urn (this shit looks so cray cray now)
    Vladimirs (this is one of the few cases where being dark is okay)
    Last edited by dlordtemplar; 04-25-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Basic Member
    I agree on the color for different levels of the necronomicon. I thought it was more visually pleasing seeing the colors change from blue to red as you upgrade the necronomicon. Just having it be red all three times isn't as visually satisfying, and it can be hard to tell which level it is at by just having a quick glance at it.

Basic Member
    uhhh why did this need another thread after http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=32324 ? it's about the exact same thing

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloyoyo View Post
    I agree on the color for different levels of the necronomicon. I thought it was more visually pleasing seeing the colors change from blue to red as you upgrade the necronomicon. Just having it be red all three times isn't as visually satisfying, and it can be hard to tell which level it is at by just having a quick glance at it.
    This. Would like to see different colours on the different levels. Maybe the same for Dagon?

Basic Member
    i dont like new s&y it should be clearly visible that they r green & red not both black also desolator should be purple

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    uhhh why did this need another thread after http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=32324 ? it's about the exact same thing
    Oh. You're right. Sorry, I saw this one just now and just signed up to post.