Thread: [Fixed] Unlimited Observer Wards BUG

[Fixed] Unlimited Observer Wards BUG

Hello
    this is my first thread for a possible (but minor-game breaking) bug that I discovered the other day in a match.

Simply put, I somehow managed to buy a ton of observer wards in the middle [closer to the end] of a game. Bear in mind, I did NOT buy Sentry Wards which I believe there is no limit to how many you can buy. I was able to purchase up to 22 Observer Wards [the brown/yellow ones] in this match.

Match ID: 12931052
    Hero Used: Invoker
    Important Time Events:

18 min 10 sec = the enemy sent its courier on a suicide mission, then manually dropped the enemy wards and a TP scroll in the mid lane on the ground [closer to the middle where the first radiant tower is located] which I killed and promptly picked up.

32 min 20 sec = I respawn and before leaving the fountain, I click to buy the Observer Wards and click as fast as possible. Doing so I manage to buy up to 22 Observer Wards and only notice a minute after I have already left the fountain.

<throughout the rest of the game I occasionally pop one down, just to make sure what I am seeing is in fact is real>

35 min 20 sec = I drop my entire stash of Observer Wards right in front of the enemy team's spawn. This makes it apparent that I managed to get a ton of Observer Wards and not sentry wards

REPRO:
    1) have someone on the enemy team intentionally give up wards they have purchased [possible through the courier in which you kill]
    2) possibly die [not sure if that is needed to reproduce the bug]
    3) when you respawn, buy out as many wards as you can possibly buy.

RESULT:
    you have just purchased more than what was in stock for wards

EXPECTED:
    you can only buy a max of two wards every six minutes

Unfortunately I haven't posted this to a video website like YouTube so you really need to watch the game [please refer to the Match ID in the top of the post].

also, as a side note, another possible bug (which could be intentional) is the fact that during the replay, when I had my mouse hovered over the Observer Wards in the store to see how much I had in stock, it never updated, saying I had only one in stock [when the mouse hovered over the button] when there was two in stock [according to the store in the menu]. If this is intentional, please disregard this, however I do not think that since they dont match [what the mouse hover overs the button and what the store button says].

Any questions, please let me know, I would be more than willing to help! I really want to make sure that this gets confirmed. But I do want to stress that I have not confirmed this just yet [outside of the one match that I played].
    Thanks and good hunting!
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt...

CONFIRMED.

Basic Member
    Confirmed.

The exact conditions required to get this working:

1) Have enemy owned wards in your inventory.
    2) Buy wards while they're in stock.

It seems the problem is that if you are carrying enemy wards (as in, the tooltip shows "Owner: <Enemy player>") that the stock amount is not decreased when you buy more of them. If you're carrying allied wards, this does not work.

Wards change ownership when they combine with another stack of wards in someone's inventory. So you can, for instance, drop your own wards, pick up the enemy wards, then pick up your wards again, and you'll now have all the wards be owned by your enemy. On the other hand, if you pick up enemy wards while having wards you own in your inventory, the wards you pick up will become owned by you and this bug will not work.

You are still unable to buy wards if they are out of stock regardless of who owns them.

Added to sticky.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Could this also be an issue with smoke of deceit?

Quote Originally Posted by youlackhatred View Post
    Could this also be an issue with smoke of deceit?
    not sure, but thats worth checking out. Ill see if I can confirm that. would I need to create a new thread if it does get confirmed?
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt...

Quote Originally Posted by VoDomino View Post
    not sure, but thats worth checking out. Ill see if I can confirm that. would I need to create a new thread if it does get confirmed?
    Make a new thread, but put a link to the other report in both threads.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.