Thread: The new Icons are great, Fantastic job by valve!

Banned

The new Icons are great, Fantastic job by valve!

I just spent nearly 2 hours to study the icons and new interface in dota 2, and must i say how impressed i am. I am a digital designer myself with around 6 years of experience and i must say i am really impressed with every changes in the game screen interface and new icons, although there are some small details that can be enhanced, but first let me just say again i was blown away by this great enhancement, loved the stones in game interface, loved the look and feel of it, the icons were looking fantastic and i noticed on some icons there is a complete picture and some names, which i had to google and compare some icons to get an exact picture of which is which one.

Now on improving the overall design topic, in my opinion, i think the hero picture has given a bit smaller ratio place holder, so now the hero portrait is not fully shown, as it was in past. second, some of the icons weren't changed just a small enhancement which i think still were great, i think the new design is great but some icons were really hard to detect which one is which like scepter which is not a problem for new people (which they would learn from the new icons) and the old players that just have to look at it a few more times.
    in general this was a great update.

Although i wished we could have a new hero this week as well

Im protesting against these new changes.

As previously said, Mekansm looks nothing like Mekansm anymore, there is no iconic yellow color. Headdress of Rejuvenation also looks too alien.

Veil of Discord looks too similar to Hood of Defiance.

Scythe of Vyse loses its iconic orange color.

Vlads loses its iconic green color.

Dagon 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 should still have numbers on top of them instead of just showing the extra fingers. Same thing goes for Necronomicon.

Mjollnir new art completely suck. It feels cartoonish compared to the intricate detail of the previous one.

Gem of True Sight loses its iconic lime green color.

Orchid loses its iconic orange color too.

Armlet looks bad.

Battlefury doesnt look as good as its previous design.

Blade of Alacrity doesnt look as good as its previous design. I rather have it show 3 blades than 1.

Desolator looks cartoonish compared to previous design.

Blink Dagger looks cartoonish compared to previous design.

Divine Rapier doesnt look as good as previous design. The yellow-white design actually looks more grand, majestic and "divine" compared to the complicated and weird new Rapier look.

Lastly, most new items look too "dark", I prefer them to be brighter because they would be more iconic that way, now they all look dull and hard to recognise.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    Im protesting against these new changes.

As previously said, Mekansm looks nothing like Mekansm anymore, there is no iconic yellow color. Headdress of Rejuvenation also looks too alien.

Veil of Discord looks too similar to Hood of Defiance.

Scythe of Vyse loses its iconic orange color.

Vlads loses its iconic green color.

Dagon 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 should still have numbers on top of them instead of just showing the extra fingers. Same thing goes for Necronomicon.

Mjollnir new art completely suck. It feels cartoonish compared to the intricate detail of the previous one.

Gem of True Sight loses its iconic lime green color.

Orchid loses its iconic orange color too.

Armlet looks bad.

Battlefury doesnt look as good as its previous design.

Blade of Alacrity doesnt look as good as its previous design. I rather have it show 3 blades than 1.

Desolator looks cartoonish compared to previous design.

Blink Dagger looks cartoonish compared to previous design.

Divine Rapier doesnt look as good as previous design. The yellow-white design actually looks more grand, majestic and "divine" compared to the complicated and weird new Rapier look.

Lastly, most new items look too "dark", I prefer them to be brighter because they would be more iconic that way, now they all look dull and hard to recognise.
    They have made some changes they think are good changes, and the people of the forum have spoken. It is wildly varying, as different people have different tastes, and thats OK. Arguing that they should not change things because they were 'iconic' is not a valid argument at this point, so early in Dota 2's life.

I personally like most of the icons, yet I agree that Mjolnir and Mael are ugly. Some icons need small tweaks with background colour and general balance, but on a whole the icon, in my opinion, are better looking and fit the new interface.

Banned
    Yes i do believe that some icons still needs a bit more work, which valve stated earlier that they arent done yet with them, and also @d.phoenix i think the whole game has gotten bit darker, not just the icons, but i also noticed a bit of visual improvement on the whole game which is always great cherish able.

but one thing i forgot to mention is, i personally didnt like the new attack damage icon ( the big sword) and also the armor icon and the boot icon there, which if im not mistaken is the same as the old icon.
    I do think that the whole section there, ( the damage icon, armor ..strength, agility..icons area) could be MUCH improved. there is alot of dark empty places and i believe we can take greater use of them. thats the only thing that bothered me a bit which i forgoted to ask, seeing as how excited i was and i hope that valve developers would see my post.
    and also there is a little square on the left hand side of mini map which i couldnt understand its use.
    thanks and all the best,

Basic Member
    New icon are cool. Hope that they return old hud.