Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A GREAT IDEA for gathering opinions on items.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A GREAT IDEA for gathering opinions on items.

Why not just create a tab under Dota 2 Settings, that will allow players to choose between the new icons or old icons for each item?

That way, Valve will be able to see which are the item icons that people really dislike and which are the ones people really like.

Then, Valve can easily decide for themselves which design failed and which are successes and know how to improve from there.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    Valve value our opinions, but like it has been said before, sometimes the community doesnt know what it wants.

I really dont see them implementing a new panel within the client for something as simple as this. You have stated your opinion, as have hundreds of others. Lets leave it to valve to make the right decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    Valve value our opinions, but like it has been said before, sometimes the community doesnt know what it wants.

I really dont see them implementing a new panel within the client for something as simple as this. You have stated your opinion, as have hundreds of others. Lets leave it to valve to make the right decisions.
    So basically you are trying to say you arent part of the community?

That you are some being above the community? So your opinion should be valued above others?

Im proposing a method of determining exactly what the community wants, which is what is important to them. I dont care what Valve wants, because Im the customer.
    For each poster in this forum, there are probably 5 out there that dont comment on what they like/dislike.
    Im just suggesting a way for more feedback to be gathered from the whole community than from the select few that registered in this forum.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    So basically you are trying to say you arent part of the community?

That you are some being above the community? So your opinion should be valued above others?
    what

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    what
    Please do not spam irrelevant one-liners. You should read his post first.

He implied that the community does not know what they want. He is however part of that community and is giving his opinion.
    So it is his opinion that his opinion should not matter because he doesnt know what he wants?
    Direct contradiction? Either that or he views himself as above the community.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    for each item? that's not realistic. all we need is a feedback forum everyone can vote between like/dislike.
    like this one: http://www.dota2feedback.com/

Basic Member
    the problem is most of the people that have been here the past half year are obviously going to hate the new icons purely out of fear of change. the best data valve can really get is constructive feedback on the new icons (not a lot of it at all on this forum yet) or people that register here tomorrow to complain about the change when it goes live.

as it stands, it's pretty much the same nitpicky type of people complaining about any kind of change/lack of routined hero implementation/whatever the current situation calls for to senselssly complain about.

i think it says enough when a thread called 'dota 2 looks like hon now!' is posted and has like 10 pages after an item icon swap. i mean, let's not even get into the fact that i couldn't find a single item that resembled any item icon in hon even slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    the problem is most of the people that have been here the past half year are obviously going to hate the new icons purely out of fear of change. the best data valve can really get is constructive feedback on the new icons (not a lot of it at all on this forum yet) or people that register here tomorrow to complain about the change when it goes live.

as it stands, it's pretty much the same nitpicky type of people complaining about any kind of change/lack of routined hero implementation/whatever the current situation calls for to senselssly complain about.

i think it says enough when a thread called 'dota 2 looks like hon now!' is posted and has like 10 pages after an item icon swap. i mean, let's not even get into the fact that i couldn't find a single item that resembled any item icon in hon even slightly.
    I dont fear change.

In fact, I embrace it. For each thing that I dislike, I state out the exact reason why I dislike it. For example, if Mekansm was to retain its iconic yellow color, even though it has a different design, I would gladly adopt it. Currently, its another mess of greyish silver that doesnt even stand out.

My Speedtest Result

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    I dont fear change.

In fact, I embrace it. For each thing that I dislike, I state out the exact reason why I dislike it. For example, if Mekansm was to retain its iconic yellow color, even though it has a different design, I would gladly adopt it. Currently, its another mess of greyish silver that doesnt even stand out.
    why do you think there should be iconic color for items? this is ridiculous. you could say the use of color is not the best(this is a valid opinion), but for god sake, it does not need to be yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric37073 View Post
    why do you think there should be iconic color for items? this is ridiculous. you could say the use of color is not the best(this is a valid opinion), but for god sake, it does not need to be yellow.
    I think there should be iconic color for items because colors are usually what players identify their items/heroes/situations by.

It would be extremely weird if Mjollnir wasnt blue, and Sacred relic wasnt yellow/gold.

It would be extremely weird if Gem of True Sight wasnt green.

I do not know if you have played trading card games before, but I can tell you that by visual studies, most players identify their cards even at a long distance away just by the color of the small design art space.
    The same goes for computer games. If you have set an item to be specifically a certain color for so long, there is no reason why you should change it to confuse the players.
    This is visual design we are talking about, not just plain art. The art has to complement the item's purpose.
    You could have different designs for an item, but the color palette has to remain largely the same, because players identify by color and the general shape of the item more so than by the intricate detail of the item.

This is extremely important in a competitive game because players will click on enemy heroes to see their items and recognise what they have. This usually takes place over 1 second or less and any detail that serves to complicate the player's ability to recognise the items instantly affects gameplay by a large extent.

My Speedtest Result