Thread: More active icon states

More active icon states

I love what Valve did with some of the new togglable items. Basilius now clearly shows what's going on.

So I got to thinking, why not expand on this further. Take Mask of madness for example. Not exactly a toggle, but it does have a duration. How about making it glow (like it currently does all the time) only when the buff is active. Shadow blade could have a visual indicator when you are invisible, etc.

Further more, maybe do something with the cool-down / ready state of the icons. We have the timer, but what if Mekansm only had the blue pulsing circles when it was ready to be used, and look "exhausted" while in cool-down? The Pipe could have smoke coming out of it only when ready, etc. (this would, of course, be in addition to the timer)

These are just a few that I came up with while writing this, but similar logic could be applied to all active items. These things would be nice, but not really useful (some of them already having clear visual indicators on your hero when active and not). But nice is always.. well, nice.

Basic Member
    would love this too.

Basic Member
    I disagree. I think this is not practical at all and having the cooldown is a better way to know if something is ready/still in cd. However, it is a good idea for every item that does not have a cd (Radiance, etc).
    Last edited by JudasPiss; 05-02-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasPiss View Post
    I disagree. I think this is not practical at all and having the cooldown is a better way to know if something is ready/still in cd. However, it is a good idea for every item that does not have a cd (Radiance, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Berra_la View Post
    (this would, of course, be in addition to the timer)
    Like I said, this would be mostly for beauty, but still have some practical uses. Cooldowns would not be removed.

Basic Member
    true. optimal it would be for the activable items to be some sort of Gif playing during the CD.

so if armlet would be activable, it would unclench in time

Basic Member
    Great idea, details like these make dota great. However, these effects should not distract from the actual game, but I'm confident that valve would be able to balance aesthetics and functionality.

Banned
    I like the idea, but I think it will compromise on the ability to quickly tell which item is which when almost every item has variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonator View Post
    I like the idea, but I think it will compromise on the ability to quickly tell which item is which when almost every item has variations.
    Not if it's done right.

Think of basilius, obviously the same item even though the two states are clearly different. Same thing with armlet, slighly less so than basilius though. It's the same hand, open and closed fist.

But you are right. It would have to be done right, or it would be counter-productive rather than helpful / good looking.