Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Demo File Format

Dota 2 Demo File Format

We have released tool named demoinfo2.exe that will parse Dota 2 demo files (ending in .dem) and dump out every message in the demo. Using this tool, third parties can parse the demo for various game events to generate information and statistics.

For more information and where to download the download the binary and source code please see the Dota 2 Demo Format page at the Valve Developer Community Wiki:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/..._2_Demo_Format

Basic Member
    nice!

interesting.

Basic Member
    This is very exciting, thanks Zoid!

Basic Member
    Thanks! Just build it and poked around the source a little bit, seems quite clear to get data from a replay.

Basic Member
    The only missing piece now is being able to download replays in some way other than the game client. Are there any plans to expose an API for developers to get replays files without having to go through a client or without asking their users to upload replays?

The optimal solution seems like it would be to expose a web API for getting the dumps created by demoinfo2.exe. This saves Valve and third parties bandwidth. Maybe this is just my web bias coming through.

Great work guys, keep the awesome coming.

Quote Originally Posted by doodledad View Post
    The only missing piece now is being able to download replays in some way other than the game client. Are there any plans to expose an API for developers to get replays files without having to go through a client or without asking their users to upload replays?

The optimal solution seems like it would be to expose a web API for getting the dumps created by demoinfo2.exe. This saves Valve and third parties bandwidth. Maybe this is just my web bias coming through.

Great work guys, keep the awesome coming.
    This is quite exciting as I've been wanting to add DOTA 2 functionality to dotacash for quite some time now but had no desire to run a lame irc league. This is indeed a step in the right direction but as doodledad points out there should still be some api because:
    • There is no way to get a replay file outside of the client (I already packet sniffed it but quickly abandoned that silliness).

• Asking users to upload dem files would be insanity as they are quite large which would eat up tons of bandwidth and server resources for a very time limited use (I have considered doing it client side and upload the parsed version but it still doesn't really make much sense to me at this time).

• Finally, there should be more control for how games are hosted so that we don't have to rely on players to host their own games for league play.

Very nice to see that we are moving in the right direction though.
    Keep up the good work!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    We have released tool named demoinfo2.exe that will parse Dota 2 demo files (ending in .dem) and dump out every message in the demo. Using this tool, third parties can parse the demo for various game events to generate information and statistics.

For more information and where to download the download the binary and source code please see the Dota 2 Demo Format page at the Valve Developer Community Wiki:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/..._2_Demo_Format
    What's the word on 3rd party stats programs/websites? There's already at least one out there using the UDP requests sent to get match details. Will we be seeing a not-so-hacky solution to this, or will Valve be frowning upon publicly viewable stats? I'm trying to help a friend in developing his own stats page for his website, but we'd rather not circumvent the system put in place to hide that data (and frankly, we haven't a clue how to spoof UDP requests).

That's exactly what I was doing about a month ago for dotacash but I abandoned the idea after packet sniffing the game info request (which isn't that complicated) but I didn't want to cause any trouble and I figured an official method would be implemented in time. Besides as I mentioned leagues won't really pick up until we can have more control over the game creation process. It's a waiting game on our end (at least it is for dotacash until valve gives us some non-hackish methods to use).

so..

So I just got here, and haven't looked into this at all... but it appears this will only run on Windows? Are you serious? How is this going to be useful for web sites?