Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overall Graphics

Overall Graphics

Okay In before go play HoN if you like it so much.

I realize that this is the Beta test but I seriously hope the overall graphics are going to be better when it's released to public. Playing DotA I would always think, this game's so much fun, could you imagine if they didn't have the limitations of using the War 3 game engine/interface? I fantasized about a game with, quite honestly an even better interface than HoN, and the graphics would be epic. I mean, it's a RTS overhead basically with a reasonably low amount of models compared to SC2 for instance, I expected them to really go over the top with making everything clear, crisp and smooth, not to mention the crazy epic spells they could have thrown in for additional pizzaz. Of course I was dissapointed. I mean, HoN's graphics/clarity is SO much better and it's old now. I KNOW, it's free-to-play or something of the like, but hell, I'd pay $100 easily for a copy of DotA2 if it was worth it. I'd even pay more. Aside from the money they'd make they'd also weed out a lot of the little pukes that scour the gaming community these days. But if a dev can see this, I'm not trying to be an ass, but for the sake of your game not falling down the crapper you NEED to make better graphics. This is honestly, as much as I love DotA, I have to say objectively, a very big let down.

Thanks and apologies but I felt it necessary

Basic Member
    HoN's graphics actually look far worse than Dota 2's imo. They're incredible dark and dated looking... It's like the 90's goth version of Dota 2 that no one likes. Well I guess some people like it , just not that many.

Basic Member
    If you are talking about graphics, technically DotA 2 is far ahead. That is a fact. You are confused with graphics and art style.

Basic Member
    the graphic is technically better. maybe you are saying the art style, or you need to upgrade your computer

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajun View Post
    If you are talking about graphics, technically DotA 2 is far ahead. That is a fact. You are confused with graphics and art style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric37073 View Post
    the graphic is technically better. maybe you are saying the art style, or you need to upgrade your computer
    Can you guys not derail the topic? Do you like what you see or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Fimbulvetr View Post
    I mean, HoN's graphics/clarity is SO much better and it's old now.
    Well, no. In my opinion HoN's graphics is far worse, it has random unneeded bump mapping and shininess everywhere, and compared to Dota 2 it looks annoyingly busy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    Duh, the topic is incorrectly labeled, so they are on topic.

Either that or OP is playing on minimum res

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    Your post is derailing, not mine. Your post actually contains no substance at all. OP claims that DotA 2 "NEED to make better graphics.". I simply stated that he is wrong because it is already miles ahead from its competitors which is a fact.

In my opinion though, look at Heroes of Newerth's newest spotlight video of Ellonia. All she is a bunch of very bright light. It doesn't even matter how powerful she is because her best ability is the ability to force your eyes closed with its blazing light.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajun View Post
    Your post is derailing, not mine. Your post actually contains no substance at all. OP claims that DotA 2 "NEED to make better graphics.". I simply stated that he is wrong because it is already miles ahead from its competitors which is a fact.

In my opinion though, look at Heroes of Newerth's newest spotlight video of Ellonia. All she is a bunch of very bright light. It doesn't even matter how powerful she is because her best ability is the ability to force your eyes closed with its blazing light.
    I posted that because I knew other people would come along and say the same empty lines. It is obvious his concern is not the polygon count. The graphics quality is a matter of resource and not of choice. You can't really criticize that. The overall feel is actually art and requires skill. That part is open to criticism, stop with the word play and don't act defensive like you are the one being criticized here. You guys can keep on talking about the difference between "graphics" and "art style" a couple more pages if you like before we can actually discuss what we all know what OP is referring to. Now that we can all stop talking about those, I agree with the second part of your post.

To Op, my personal opinion is you are new to Dota 2. I hated it the first time I saw it to be perfectly honest. Now that I am used to it, I am really liking it. Give it some time.

Banned
    This game looks far better than any competitor.
    1) Technically it looks very good for such type of game. It doesnt need UE3 and DX11 support to shine. From the technical point of view its very solid.
    2) Art style and designs are really nice, and every part of the game sticks to that style: map overall, heroes, every particle. Decently done.
    There are some things that need to be polished more, UI mostly and some heroes. But i believe that Valve will have it done.