Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [How To] Design Item Icons

why gem should be round?
    Never listen to beta-testers too much. You cant please all people.

Basic Member
    These suggestions are great! +1

Quote Originally Posted by delfinus View Post
    why gem should be round?
    It's supposed to be an eye now.

You just put most of what i wanted to say in a organized and easy way to read. Props to you =)

I'd like to point out that some itens do not pop out of the frame enough. Some examples are, vlad's, necrobooks, monkey bar, magic wand, eul's scepter. The old ones were better, using the same design priority you had, imo.

It's not a problem to show only a portion of the item... as long as it fits the frame better. In the renaissance the paintings already paid attention to where the eye of the viewer is going to be focused, this seems to be one thing the art team did not pay proper attention.

Basic Member
    Fully endorse the author of this topic. Need some new icons (satanic, abyssal blade, rapier) and some redesign.
    Sry for my bad english. =)

Basic Member
    topic starter said right to the point.
    I think Valve should invite u to help them design icons.

I don't know what you guys think, but I'm still waiting for a Demoman to pop out of that Mekansm.

Basic Member
    I agree with the first post.

- Satanic
    - Eye of skadi
    - Divine rapier
    - Aghanim
    - Reaver
    - gem of truesight
    - Mekansm
    - armlet
    - boots of elvenskin

need to be changed I think.

i agree, the extremely dark 'tinge' they have over all the item icons is way too much and does not match the hero spell icons & the environment on the screen. some items are even darker and harder to see than the UI.

it would make a lot more sense to color the items brighter according to how it would look if the heroes were to actually use them while playing, not while they are randomly light-saber battling on the dark side of some moon

the added detail to the icons is welcome, but the way the new details are colored is not. i agree with op the colors are too chaotic, random, clashing, unintuitive in many of the new icons.

mekansm really does not seem to be 'life-giving', for this i imagine an opalescent light that kind of 'mushrooms' or 'bathes'. not so much a blue gundam beam like it is now

Then there's the most pressing question of all; were any Jawas harmed in the creation of the new Hood of Defiance icon?
    Last edited by poogs; 04-27-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Basic Member
    Sorry to interrupt this party, but most of this whine comes from the fact that things changed.

While i agree with the general idea that item colors should reflect what stats they boost or what their purpose is (making the greenish white light from mecha just right) and they should be recognizable in the icon, making things like the abyssal blade look really weird, there are some things that are just simple ranting:

- boots of elvenskin are now bracers of elvenskin, thats just bad design, right.. if they rename it, will you go on the barricades? lulz
    - Eye/gem of truesight is a combination of a greenish gem inside a frame that somewhat makes it look like an eye.. thats actually pretty good.. if you think about it..
    - satanic has a really really nice look to it.. makes me go like "wow, thats where the 1337% lifesteal come from, the whole frikkin blade eats your enemy"

So please try not to rant randomly, just keep suggesting things to the icons that really should be redone, those that are too dark, where colors dont match and where additional indication as to what the item does is needed (skadi needs an ice effekt, really!)