Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is the night too dark ?

It's night, it's supposed to be dark!
    Goodbye

Last edited by DocMcBrown; 10-25-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Basic Member
    Agreed, I feel that the night time is too dark. I've had many situations where I couldn't differentiate fog from just bad lighting and resulted in many pointless deaths. Plus when playing the game with this kind of lighting, it's sort of a mood killer imo, getting drowsy easily.

As this is more of a personal issue, allowing more customisation to the brightness might be a good idea. Currently I have the game on max brightness and it's still too dark for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki3012 View Post
    Well... it's people preferences but i like how it is now.
    Same here...after all, it's night time. It's supposed to be dark (duh!)

night should look like night. not how it should look with disco lights.

Quote Originally Posted by sabian View Post
    Hello,

I've read many times that Dota2 has "less" colours than vanilla dota. It is true than in Dota2, the color's range is mostly pastel.

While this is a beautiful graphical choice during day time on Radiant side (nice lighting effects, nice pastel brown/yellow/green colors), it gets very cold and dark during the night on the Dire side.

During the night, it's all black and blue, and it gets very depressing when there is not even a colored tree around...

Because lots of heroes are in the bluish colors + black map during the night + cold atmosphere overall + futuristic sounds effects, the game has a cold feel during the night that I dislike.
    I think this is what Valve wanted to accomplish, one must know when it is night and be weary! Seeing your reaction to "the night" I think they accomplished their goal.

I like it how it is now, i dont see any problem with the night

Basic Member
    I kind of agree with OP's point, on this particular issue: at night, the Dire's terrain outlines can get very high to make out, especially on lower resolutions - which I use.
    It can make warding a very proficient eye-killer - mostly on uphill regions :P

Otherwise, I love the creepy feeling you get from walking in Dire's woods at night, they did a lovely job with that.
    Last edited by TheZor; 11-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Basic Member
    My problem is just that contrast gets lower at night, meaning it's harder to distinguish between heroes, my cursor, fog of ward, spells, trees, etc.

Basic Member
    it gets very cold and dark during the night on the Dire side.

During the night, it's all black and blue, and it gets very depressing when there is not even a colored tree around...
    In my opinion, that's how it should be. The Radiant side is happy, cheerful, has butterflies and squirrels running around. The Dire side is cold, dark, depressing and unforgiving, much like Jötunheimr (Jotunheim) in Thor.

I like it.