Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *Bad*: Radiance "on" state is a slow blinking. Blinking is for attention, not state.

Exclamation *Bad*: Radiance "on" state is a slow blinking. Blinking is for attention, not state.

The item Radiance has two states: "On" and "Off"

In the latest patch, Radiance's "On" state is displayed as an animated, slow blink.

This goes against fundamental UI design.

Blinking in a UI is for something that requires attention, because it is high on the perceptual hierarchy. The human eye is drawn towards movement, and the mind processes a scene in terms of changes. When an animated icon is blinking in the bottom right, it demands attention. Radiance being "On" does not demand attention, and it needs to be changed to a static, non-animated visual.

C'mon Valve, this is UI 101: http://colorusage.arc.nasa.gov/flashing.php

Basic Member
    are you joking? this is hilarious.

the new flashing radiance icon looks amazing, great job valve

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    this is hilarious

It might look great, but is it necessary or good for the game?

I can tell you straight that I agree with the thread starter. Valve should stop messing with these UI changes that are detrimental to the overall design of the game.

Prioritise on what is important and make things look crisp and clear and effective, not fancy, appealing to a small crowd and totally irrelevant except to serve as a nuisance/hindrance.
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    are you joking? this is hilarious.

Yes, it does look good. The art is of high quality.

However it is the wrong mechanic for what it is intending to do in the game, which is display the on/off state of Radiance. It is distracting when it should not be. I want a game with an effective, well designed User Interface.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingcarpet View Post
    It is distracting when it should not be. I want a game with an effective, well designed User Interface.
    This pretty much summarizes the must recent patch. So much stuff added that creates visual noise. The former clean, simple style felt much better imo.
    SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION. DAMNIT.

Basic Member
    I have a bit of OCD with blinking things. I pretty much can't play games that blink for no reason.
    There have been some MMOs I can't play because they'd have blinking chat windows that you can't exit out of it can't disable the blinking (Tabula Rasa was one).

I'm pretty certain I'm not alone at all here. If someone blinks it should only be for a moment to get attention, not blink non stop.

Good that it isn't flashing but instead pulsating...

Quote Originally Posted by Konung View Post
    Good that it isn't flashing but instead pulsating...
    Pulsating is a better term for the animation than blinking, I agree. I should have used that instead.

Basic Member
    Yeah its pulsating... Perhaps I'm one in a million but I don't get distracted by stuff like that. The most recent items icon update brightened many icons while removing the crazy glow in the background and saturation. 99% of items are fine now and are able to be instantly recognized easily. Everything is distinct. Perhaps they will add in the option to disable animating icons so OCD people have an easier time.

Basic Member
    +1 I was thinking the same.