Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Icons Just a Bit Too Dark?

New Icons Just a Bit Too Dark?

I've already posted a thread discussing the depth and contrast added to the UI and the possibility of it distracting from the game world. Now I'd like to discuss something more immediately jumped out at me with the new icons: They are absolutely gorgeous, but a bit too dark.

As I said, the new UI theme for Dota 2 seems to be increased shadow depth and color contrast. In order to make this work, everything on the whole seems to have had its brightness notched down just a tad. The item icons were the first thing to shock me; before I could even get to appreciating the awesome art contained therein, I noticed that, on any background brighter than them, from the Shop window just slightly brighter to the insanely bright white background of Dota2Wiki, I had to squint at the icons to make out what they were. Some of them are just too dark, and as a collective, it becomes the prevailing concern.

It seems to fit really well with the new UI theme, but even having less than a second of physical discomfort viewing the new icons leads me to voice what I've found here. They are gorgeous: The new designs are 95% spot-on and even amazing compared to the vast collection of fantasy game icons we've already seen and know and love, but, like the old Dota 2 icons, I want to comfortably be able to absorb an entire page of them at a glance without having to let my eyes physically adapt to the contrast between them and any background they may fall onto, or even the contrast between the item and its own icon's background.
    Last edited by nERVEcenter; 04-26-2012 at 02:16 PM.

I agree, it might be the main reason why it's very hard for me to move on from the old icons. The old icons had bright colors that made it easy to distinguish them from one another. The new icons are very dark and they all blend in together even though one is green and another is yellow. Brightening the icons would certainly help alleviate most concerns about the new icons.

Agree with both posters.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    Agree. I want them colors to pop up, not blend together.

Basic Member
    The newly updated icons are brighter and have more contrast. Take a look at them again.

http://i.imgur.com/JGgoZ.jpg

Old-new on left, new-new on right.

Quote Originally Posted by sus View Post
    The newly updated icons are brighter and have more contrast. Take a look at them again.

http://i.imgur.com/JGgoZ.jpg

Old-new on left, new-new on right.
    Awesome. Most of it is subtle, we'll see if it works out. I especially like the new golden hilt and ruby on the Broadsword, does wonders to make it stand out.

Basic Member
    Agree

how can u guys painted new items worse than the old ones? how can it be?