Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Assassinate doesn't give true sight

We have been minitesting this quite some time ago already because we too were surprised but this is the current DotA 1 behaviour:

Okay, minitested, you were right. This is how it works:

Case 1: Lina goes invis before Sniper shoots the bullet. It should hit Lina in this situation.
    Case 2: Lina goes invis AFTER the bullet leaves Sniper, but hasn't reached Lina yet. It should NOT hit Lina in this situation.
    Maybe I'll minitest it again later. Don't forget that the bullet is extremely fast anyway so you'd need real good timing to evade the Assassinate especially considering various fade times on windwalk abilities. It's more or less the same with blink, you have to blink while the bullet is traveling, not while Sniper is aiming you in order to avoid it.
    Last edited by Chairraider; 10-18-2011 at 06:45 AM.

I am 1000000 % sure you can dodge assassinate ONCE the projectile is launched and you go into invisibility. But if you go into invisibility when the sniper is still channeling, it will hit you unless you move fast enough to get out of the casting range.

Dunno if my brain got exploded or something but I definitely think that in DotA (1) Sniper could use Assassinate on Rikimaru and would hit him always. Didn't really matter if he went invis before or after the bullet was shot. But I'll test it more to make sure.

Basic Member
    Fairly sure that sniper should hit SA if hes becoming invisible, I think this is a bug because its supposed to give truesight

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairraider View Post
    We have been minitesting this quite some time ago already because we too were surprised but this is the current DotA 1 behaviour:

Maybe I'll minitest it again later. Don't forget that the bullet is extremely fast anyway so you'd need real good timing to evade the Assassinate especially considering various fade times on windwalk abilities. It's more or less the same with blink, you have to blink while the bullet is traveling, not while Sniper is aiming you in order to avoid it.
    May I ask when these tests were run?

I am aware that there were known issues, so old that the tests I ran were together with DonTomaso, we also found a fix and from my understanding this was something he reported.

I already told Ice yesterday, but here's how it works in DotA 1:
    When Sniper casts Assassinate and during 0.51s (or less if Sniper cancels his casting animation) afterwards, going invisible will get you hit by the projectile.
    Going invisible afterwards (only possible if the distance between you and Sniper is at least ~1250 considering no canceling) will allow you to dodge the projectile.

Valve Developer
    After talking it over I think we will make the truesight last until the projectile hits.

The mechanic of needing to avoid cancelling your own animation to keep truesight isn't something we want to replicate.

Basic Member
    As far as I remember, the projectile would travel and follow the invisible unit as if there was true sight on it, but the unit remained invisible. Very similar to the way Bloodseeker can attack invisible opponenents without actually seeing them. Did this change recently?

Quote Originally Posted by EricTams View Post
    After talking it over I think we will make the truesight last until the projectile hits.

The mechanic of needing to avoid cancelling your own animation to keep truesight isn't something we want to replicate.
    OK so if sniper ult is traveling towards weaver and weaver uses shukuchi, sniper ulti should hit the weaver if he is right next to where sniper fired the shot from, right?

Right now that's not how it is working so just wanted to make sure this gets fixed (or that I understand how it's supposed to work if it's not getting changed from dota 1).