Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fog of War

Basic Member
    I think that the new players should go "WTF?!" when their hero stops chasing. I do not think that the Dota2 community should have to suffer with a nerf to juking just so new players have it a little easier, I say let them get juked until they learn how not to get juked as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Voireon View Post
    Icefrog has said this was a wc3 engine limitation. Ganking made easier is mostly better for dota.
    Source or he didnt said a fuck!
    How can u just blindly accept this ppls?

About the Fog:
    Yes i felt the same, when i started.. but after some hunderts of games you get very very used to it and it seems kinda
    strange when you play dota1 and things are so different. Especially when your such a juke user.
    I would for sure want the old Fog-juking back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttempest View Post
    Duh... its the IceFrog dude. Kinda like Chuck Norris just in Dota.

It should run where you last clicked the hero ", because sometimes when chasing someone i wanted to click on the ground to walk and as the hero is big it was intented as attacking. Then the hero goes thru fog and my hero just stops

Banned
    Wow great take dota to another level goodjob valve ! You care alot, yes you do....
    Dota 2 will end like every other f2p games like hon lol etc.
    i want the fog juking back fuck it...

Basic Member
    I think that the actual vision in fog isn't updated at the area the player is located using linear interpolation. I notice the fog is lagged behind my player's current position and causes loss of vision of the person I'm chasing. A bit unrelated, but I feel it is way too sensitive in that regard compared to DotA.

There are two equally valid sides to this issue. I always loved fog juking and ramp juking, and it's sad that it's gone. It was a fun element of the game.

However, the new mechanic is a thousand times more intuitive. Think about it, you issue an order to your hero to chase an enemy hero -> your hero loses sight of enemy hero -> if you could give your hero very basic reasoning skills, what would he do? Instantly stop what he's doing? Or run to the last place that the target hero was seen? The latter choice obviously makes a lot more sense. And when the same target comes out of fog a half second later, does it make sense for your hero to ignore it and stand still looking dumb? Or should it re-acquire the target, which is obviously the same target as the one that just disappeared? Again, obviously the second choice makes a lot more sense.

Yes, I know the arguments, it feels like it's "dumbing down" the game, and it takes away a fun (albeit unintuitive) mechanic. But fact is it just makes more sense this way. You're not adding AI or removing the need for user input. The target still needs to be manually selected in the first place. All you're doing is removing a clearly flawed "immediately stop and do nothing the instant sight is lost" automatic command and replacing it with an improved "do the best you can with the information you have" automatic command.

IMO Bring back the fog fade time but dont instastop the hero, he should go to the last place he saw the hero

Banned
    Still waiting for bringing them the juking action back...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoninjaboy View Post
    if you could give your hero very basic reasoning skills
    The player who's controlling his hero should have basic reasoning skills, not the hero himself. If you lose sight of your enemy, just right click on the ground where you lost sight of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Recountal View Post
    The player who's controlling his hero should have basic reasoning skills, not the hero himself. If you lose sight of your enemy, just right click on the ground where you lost sight of him.
    You have a decent point, but I think it's an unnecessary extra chore. If you're targetted on a hero who goes into fog, it's obvious and intuitive that you want your hero to run towards the point where your target was last seen. It's like when you use an attack command on a hero who's outside your attack range, so your hero automatically moves towards the target until he's within range to attack. Equally intuitive and equally sensible.

Now when the target comes back out of the fog, whether the hero should again auto-acquire the target is debatable, because of the existence of illusions and such. Plus it's more like automatically issuing a new command, rather than carrying out the previous command in an intuitive way. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that part.