Thread: Music Transitions depending on area and time

Music Transitions depending on area and time

First off, I would like to mention how amazing of an idea it was to have transitioning music when there is a gank or just some big team fight happening, which pumps me and makes me want to continue doing ganks and teamfights, so it's very motivating. And the end transition from after the fight makes you feel proud of retablishing peace and surviving the attack.

Now, this is one of the first multiplayer games by Valve to include ingame music, L4D being kinda the first to do that. But we've come to a very high peak of potential now with DotA 2, and I feel it would be fantastic if the music changed depending of where your hero/camera is in the map.

Before you ask, yes, it's possible. Look at Banjo Kazooie; it's on the Nintendo 64, a console with quite poor sound capabilities even at the time. Yet, Rare managed to make this game and many of their other great games feel alive just by changing the instruments used to the same song when nearing a different kind of zone in a level.

This could make the player feel sometimes in danger, sometimes protected, sometimes in a totally different place, and it could make the map sections seem more interesting to go at.

Just imagine, for example, getting into the Radiant mid-bot forest: think Far Cry ambiant music; with flutes and an amazonian feel, maybe monkeys screaming in the bg, ect. all fitting to the explore music.
    Or once you enter the Dire side as a Radiant, the music has the same notes and tempo, but it gives a quite creepy (no pun intended) feel with a ghostly atmosphere. Kinda gives you the chills.

Yes, this post may have been a little bit too long, but I feel it needed to be that way. It's a feature I've always been searching in modern games, especially multiplayer ones, and if DotA pioneers this idea, it could mean a lot to new players, as good ambiance is good in all games. But in such a particularly amazing game, it's impact makes all the effort very well worth it.

tl;dr:
    need moar music, in areas, just like in Banjo Kazooie, would make stuff feel alive.
    Last edited by DocMcBrown; 10-19-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Basic Member
    I believe this is already in the pipeline. Some battle music was leaked recently so I think this should be in soon

Quote Originally Posted by d2betrue View Post
    I believe this is already in the pipeline. Some battle music was leaked recently so I think this should be in soon
    If you speak the truth, then godspeed, Valve. Godspeed.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I was actually blown away the first time I went for a gank and the background music abruptly changed from my quiet, nomadic jungling background music to epic drums of war music.

This is an incredible idea that is made even more stunning because the music is so damn good. I've got high hopes, high expectations and absolutely no doubt that Valve and Jason Hayes will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    Yeah, I was actually blown away the first time I went for a gank and the background music abruptly changed from my quiet, nomadic jungling background music to epic drums of war music.

This is an incredible idea that is made even more stunning because the music is so damn good. I've got high hopes, high expectations and absolutely no doubt that Valve and Jason Hayes will deliver.
    Felt the exact same way, +1.
    Goodbye

Basic Member
    One thing I think could be nice is if there's also be an option to disable the "war" themed music. So you could also only listen to the calm music if you wish to do so. But yeah the music is really awesome, I love it!

Basic Member
    Does the gank music still happen? I don't think I've heard it do that before.

Basic Member
    i havent heard it before, but im sure thats going to give a lot more feeling to the game!