Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How do you use text colors in the ingame chat?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by winxp View Post
    This is false. All it does is temporarily change your in-game name. It doesn't even change the name on your steam account. The part about phising...what? How does changing your IGN result in your account being stolen?
    It was an old phishing scam where you change your account name to someone elses. So lets use an example. You find a post for whatever reason and it says to change your account name from "Pidgeon" to "JohnDoe", so you do this as the guy who made the post wants you to do. Now the guy who made the post can perform a password recovery, change the password on the account now named "JohnDoe" and then change the name and pass again to something only he would use and know. And now your accounts gone. By the time you get it back, god knows what hes done with it.

Basic Member
    Well, you might want to change your post because there is currently no way to steal an account by using a command that only alters your in-game name (and you have to do it every game too, because it resets back to your steam nick after every game). It does not change anything related to your steam account.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBreaker View Post
    It was an old phishing scam where you change your account name to someone elses. So lets use an example. You find a post for whatever reason and it says to change your account name from "Pidgeon" to "JohnDoe", so you do this as the guy who made the post wants you to do. Now the guy who made the post can perform a password recovery, change the password on the account now named "JohnDoe" and then change the name and pass again to something only he would use and know. And now your accounts gone. By the time you get it back, god knows what hes done with it.
    There's no way that will work as far as my 5 years of knowledge of how Steam works tells me. It edit:doesn't even changes your steam profile name, not your username, and there is no way anyone can perform a "password recovery" without even knowing your email and its password.
    Last edited by LightningZLaser; 05-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Basic Member
    It doesn't even change your steam profile name, it just changes your name on the game server. This is also why you have to do it every game. If you shift+tab you'll see your steam name hasn't been changed.

I did have doubts that it was a legitimate scam (google turned up nothing) but that pretty much confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by winxp View Post
    It doesn't even change your steam profile name, it just changes your name on the game server. This is also why you have to do it every game. If you shift+tab you'll see your steam name hasn't been changed.

I did have doubts that it was a legitimate scam (google turned up nothing) but that pretty much confirms it.
    Was a mistake on my post, updated it

Anyways, wherever GrandBreaker got his information from, it is 99.99% false.

Basic Member
    Please remove that shit from DOTA2, I don't want to see brazilian flags all over the place.

this has nothing to do with your account name haha. setinfo sets a local variable within a source game. setinfo name "Aheeeeeee Jeeeeeee" for example only sets it for the duration of a game. Empty nicknames are also possible within games. It's to do with ASCII control codes. Use a hex editor sich as XVI32.exe, save into a txt file, copy paste into console.