Thread: Enigma

Enigma

Nothing is known of Enigma’s background. There are only stories and legends, most of them apocryphal, passed down through the ages. In truth, Enigma is a mystery for whom the only true biography is description: he is a universal force, a consumer of worlds. He is a being of the void, at times corporeal, other times ethereal. A beast between the planes. There are stories that say he was once a great alchemist who tried to unlock the secrets of the universe and was cursed for his arrogance. Other legends tell that he is an ancient being of strange gravity, the abyss personified—a twisted voice from out the original darkness, before the first light in the universe. And there are older legends that say he is the first collapsed star, a black hole grown complicated and sentient—his motivations unknowable, his power inexorable, a force of destruction unleashed upon existence itself.

That's almost identical to the DotA 1 story. I love the mystery element about Enigma, it's great that nothing is known for sure about it. Once again I would love to keep his name, Darchrow, could be a word in an old language for Darkness for instance.

Black Hole and Darkness versus Supernova and Light, Enigma versus Phoenix, that's a no-brainer of a rivalry of epic proportions to me

Basic Member
    I like this description of Enigma. Usually, I don't like too much mystery when describing a character but considering the name etc. it fits
    Great choice of words, too!

Perfect story, I see no issues with this one.. I simply love the mystery and epic proportions this hero contains!

Reusing Otter's argument in the Puck thread, I don't think we should abuse the "unknowable motivations" device. Even if it's not explicitly stated in his description, it would be nice if at least some indirect conclusions or connections could be made with the Dire's general objetives and intentions (for example The Dire wants to destroy the life-force of the world, and Enigma feeds on dying planets).

Pretty good wording/flow overall!
    Last edited by Jenova-; 09-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Well He surely pissed someone off when creating the worlds... so something about his ignorance cost him a great deal of power and he got punished for it.

Also reducing things to nothingness now, he's a target for rivalry to any form of Light, nature or creation type heroes.

But i like the mysterious part, but we should keep in mind that we can not have every hero have an unknown origin since that looks kinda lame.... and you'd basicly have lores that tell no story... which basicly do not make them lores.

Since Enigma could be a collapsed star, what about making Phoenix the other star? Like in a Binary Star system? They're enemies because of this!

Basic Member
    Great work, love the flow of it and its quite balanced, neither too fancy nor too simple.

Like the mystery surrounding him, great story overall.