Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] How to create a better dota 2 environment (chivalry points, leagues)

[Suggestion] How to create a better dota 2 environment (chivalry points, leagues)

Okey this will probably be a quite long post since I'm writing this after two completely ruined games. But don't worry I have some soothing music on so I should be fine. I will start with the currently flawed commend system continue with the report system and end up with the matchmaking system.

THE COMMEND SYSTEM
    The commend system is a brilliant idea but currently it is easily abused and doesn’t do much to improve the environment for players. The things you can commend for are fine no need to improve that. However there are some problems such as commend swapping which could be easily solved

How it currently works
    • All players can commend each other
    • Players can commend others for being friendly, forgiving, teaching or having good leadership
    • Max of 10 commendations (even if this isn't implemented fully)

Flaws with the current system
    • Commend swaps which hollows the system
    • You can only commend a person one time in total (if you commend a player for being friendly at one time you can't commend for leadership later)
    • Limitations on number of commends

Suggestion
    • You can only commend players which you have played at least one matchmaking game with
    • You can commend people you have in your friends list if you played a MM game with them (like it currently is)
    • No limitations on number of commends
    • More than one commendation submition per player (so that you first can commend him for being friendly and forgiving in one game and then two days later commend him for being teaching)

Comment: this still keeps players from giving others more than 1 point in each of the commendation categories

Justification
    Currently if you spend 1 or 2 minutes checking the chat you will easily find two or more people commend swapping. By limiting commendations to just players which you have actually played a matchmaking game with this will be eliminated. The reason it has to be a matchmaking game and not a lobby game is that it is still easily abusable. The only thing you have to do is create a lobby game, finish it fast and commend each other. Trust me people would go through that just to get commendations. No limitation on number of commendation is another no brainer. If I have enjoyed playing a game with someone I should be able to commend him even if I have played with 10 other friendly players before. To remove the limitiation on number of commendation submition towards a player is also a good thing because you might play more than one game with the same player and want to commend him for different things at different times.

THE REPORT SYSTEM

How it currently works
    • 10 reports per player (although this isn't implemented yet)
    • Able to report for text, voice and ability abuse as well as intentional feeding
    • Option to fill in additional information

Flaws with the current system
    The current system dosn't work properly in creating a good enviroment for players that behave and punish those who don't. One mayor problem with the current system is that you can only report a player once.
    • Too few options of abuses
    • Limit on amount of reports
    • Unable to report more than once
    • Hard to add timestamps
    • Many rage reports
    • All are free to report, even players who continually make bad reports
    • Lots of time is put in to look through reports and give fair punishments

SUGGESTION

Report submission
    • Add Game ruining as an report category
    • Save everything written in the report form (so that you can add things through out the whole game)
    • Unable players to send in the report before the game has ended (you will get a notification)
    • No limit on number of reports you can do towards a certain player (he might be abusive in more than one game)
    • Add examples to each category on what is okey to report for and what is not'
    • You shouldn't get matchmaked in the same team with people that you have an sent in a report against (and the report haven't been decided wether it was valid or not)
    • If a player

Justification
    There is more ways to ruin a game than just intentional feeding, abusing abilities or harrass a player through text or voice chat. Adding an option to report for game ruining will cover most of the abuses like calling out team mates posistions (rosh, forest), refusing to co-operate with teammates, selling all items then leaving, buying all wards and place them in the base or even map pining abuses.

Currently when you are writing a report your only option is to send it in right away. This will in many cases lead to rage and unfinished reports. If we set a limit to only be able to report after a game is finished we will decrease the number of bad reports. If we also add a function to save your current report you will be able to continually fill in the report against a player through out the whole game. This to make it easier to the people reading the reports so that we can have better effectiveness. To make this optimal you should get a notification at the end of the game saying something like "Would you like to send in your report against player a?". Another important thing is that matchmaking should not match you up with players that you have reported and the reports still haven't been read by a moderator (this happend to me today which is why I started writing this post). Two guys had a problem with me and started courier feeding in both as well as using abilities to ruin the game for the others. By adding examples to each category of valid reasons to report we can further reduce the work which a moderator has to go through.

Chivalry points
    This is were it starts getting interesting. Gabe often talks about rewarding players that are helping other players having a good time while playing. By implementing Chivalry points we can take our first steps in the right direction. The basics of how it will work is listed below. In the report system it will work in a way that blocks people that continually do bad reports while awarding players who improve the gaming enviroment.

• All players start with 10 chivalry points
    • To report someone you use 1 chivalry point
    • If the report was successfull you get your chivalry point back
    • If a report haven't been checked on for three weeks you get your chivalry point back
    • For every second commend you get an additional point in chivalry
    • If you have been abusive in a game and a successful report is done against you you will loose 5 chivalry points

Punishment system
    • Replace the current punishment system with a penalty system
    • You recieve 1-4 penalties per violation, depending on the degree the violation was (text, voice abuse etc)
    • Penalties will be halfed every two weeks, in 4 weeks a quarter, and so on.
      Once any penalty drops below 1.0, it will be set to zero and is removed from your penalty counter. It will be deleted completely 6 month after you received it. (Directly taken from dotalicious penalty system)
    • If a player gets over a certain amount of penatlies, lets say 6, he will be put in the low priority (which will be replaced by the system below)
    • Remove "mute text or voice chat" as a punishment (it hinders the team play in a game and players can mute him if he is abusive again anyway)
      OR we could keep it and add a notification in the start of the game telling players if an ally is muted and give them the option to temporarily unmute.

THE LEAGUE SYSTEM
    This will aim at fair matchmaking and reward players who are giving other players a good gaming experience.

The dungeon
    • Players with too many penalties have to play here while their penalties wears off
    • Replaces the low priority queue
    • You can't report players

Option to make it less appealing:
      • No matchmaking (players is put in a team randomly)
      • No stats are being recorded from the games

Beginners League
    • For the totally new players
    • You can have a mentor in these games

Novice League
    • A minimum of 10 games won

FILL WITH AS MANY LEAGUES AS IS FITTING.....
    Criterias which can be used
    • A minimum of x games won
    • A minumum of x games played
    • At least x% won games
    • Chivalry points

Chivalry League
    • A league for the most skilled players with the most chivalry points
    • Moderators can handpick players which they think fit in the league
    • Players in the league can suggest other players

I will give the league system some more though so feel free to suggest anything, if it's good I will add it to the OP. Lastly I would like to thank the two guys who ruined my games today for making me write this.
    Last edited by Konung; 05-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Basic Member
    i am playing around 10 games per day with an ally of mine. what part of your system prevents me to swap commends with him in every of those games (unrelated of his ingame performance ofc)?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    i am playing around 10 games per day with an ally of mine. what part of your system prevents me to swap commends with him in every of those games (unrelated of his ingame performance ofc)?
    You can only commend another player once. I will update OP to make it more clear on that point!

Or at least give him a point in each of the categories once.

E: updated OP. Is it a bit clearer now?
    Last edited by Konung; 05-09-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Basic Member
    ok, you are excused.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Leagues sound awesome. Brilliant ideas you have there, but I have to disagree on "reporting takes 1 chivalry point but you get the point back if your report was successful". I really don't think that VALVe will be able to respond to EVERY SINGLE report that comes in, especially when DotA 2 is officially launched and hundreds of thousands of players (and a lot of reports too) will be swarming over the game. Lots of people know this, the fact that most games can't respond to EVERY SINGLE report and this might discourage players from reporting people in case their report is ignored and they don't get their point back. I'm going to bed now--probably won't reply for a good 9 hours or so. Just my two cents, and I await your reply about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Recountal View Post
    Leagues sound awesome. Brilliant ideas you have there, but I have to disagree on "reporting takes 1 chivalry point but you get the point back if your report was successful". I really don't think that VALVe will be able to respond to EVERY SINGLE report that comes in, especially when DotA 2 is officially launched and hundreds of thousands of players (and a lot of reports too) will be swarming over the game. Lots of people know this, the fact that most games can't respond to EVERY SINGLE report and this might discourage players from reporting people in case their report is ignored and they don't get their point back. I'm going to bed now--probably won't reply for a good 9 hours or so. Just my two cents, and I await your reply about this issue.
    A valid point you got there. But as you say yourself, with this kind of system people wont make a report unless they are sure that the player they are reporting made a violation. This will reduce the number of reports which are sent in by rage over a lost game. This will hopefully help the moderators alot so that they only have to focus on the valid reports. Since valve probably still will have a problem checking all the reports I suggest that if a report haven't been checked withing three weeks you get your chivalry point back. Sounds good?

Basic Member
    very good idea ! +1

But in my opinion, the % win ratio should not be part of the league system, because in a perfect working Matchmaking-System every player has 50% win-ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Navil View Post
    very good idea ! +1

But in my opinion, the % win ratio should not be part of the league system, because in a perfect working Matchmaking-System every player has 50% win-ratio
    You are probably right about that.

Basic Member
    You shouldn't get matchmaked in the same team with people that you have an sent in a report against (and the report haven't been decided wether it was valid or not)
    Don't agree with this point. Letting players fiddle with matchmaking throught external means that are not gameplay related will cause trouble. So either a player is elegible for playing with everyone(in normal priority) or he is not.

Basic Member
    I like it for the most part. Didn't see anything I didn't like, so +1.

Is the league system supposed to be similar to WC3's ladder system?