Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Linken's Sphere and no-targeting/ground targeting Skills.

Basic Member
    I think there needs to be some sort of consistency within the game.

If something required a dummy unit to cast a single target spell to do something and Linken's blocked it in Wc3, I'd consider it a engine limitation and rework it.

As such if Overgrowth is being blocked because the Wc3 engine couldn't handle an AoE Entangling Roots, maybe it shouldn't here.

I'd consider Overgrowth to be a PBAoE that would fall in line with War Stomp style spells. (IE They are all PBAOE spells that don't target, therefore Linken's shouldn't block it.) If it is, why arn't other war stomp style spells blocked? (Starfall, War Stomps from Centaur, Slardar, Panda's Thunder Clap etc etc.

Mechanically I think it would make sense from a consistency point of view, balance wise I wouldn't know though, though is Linken's currently underpowered, balanced or overpowered? I'd consider it slightly underpowered.

@ Omnislash - Linkens should not function partially. Blocking a single slash and being burnt is a bad way to represent mechanics in the game and is very counter-intuitive.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA101 View Post
    @ Omnislash - Linkens should not function partially. Blocking a single slash and being burnt is a bad way to represent mechanics in the game and is very counter-intuitive.
    It blocks the ministun that targeting someone has. Omnislash ministuns the initial target. Linkens blocks this

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciov View Post
    It blocks the ministun that targeting someone has. Omnislash ministuns the initial target. Linkens blocks this
    That's even worse then :S.

The effect should be known by reading the description and not canceling a random list of spell. It is a nice thing to balance linken by adding/removing some spells but make it consistent at least (and accessible without going into deep mechanics) otherwise for mewcomers it would be a total nightmare.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA101 View Post
    I think there needs to be some sort of consistency within the game.

If something required a dummy unit to cast a single target spell to do something and Linken's blocked it in Wc3, I'd consider it a engine limitation and rework it.

As such if Overgrowth is being blocked because the Wc3 engine couldn't handle an AoE Entangling Roots, maybe it shouldn't here.

I'd consider Overgrowth to be a PBAoE that would fall in line with War Stomp style spells. (IE They are all PBAOE spells that don't target, therefore Linken's shouldn't block it.) If it is, why arn't other war stomp style spells blocked? (Starfall, War Stomps from Centaur, Slardar, Panda's Thunder Clap etc etc.

Mechanically I think it would make sense from a consistency point of view, balance wise I wouldn't know though, though is Linken's currently underpowered, balanced or overpowered? I'd consider it slightly underpowered.

This+1

I don't know why linken sphere should block spells like impale and fissure which is clearly an aoe spell. I'd go as far as a target impale skill (lion / NA's impale) but fissure and a ground cast imaple is just too much for me.

example: How would you like if slardar's slithereen crush can be blocked by linken's? (although it is based on war stomp mech)

question: if you cast a targeted fissure on a hero that has linkens, would it nullify the whole spell? No aoe stun on enemies around the hero being targeted?

Basic Member
    just on the hero with linkens

Imo, linken should not block non-targeted spells impale-likes and fissure-likes stuns. I find it more balanced to only block them when they are targeted on the hero since, when you ground click the spell, you have a chance to miss it. This is what balance the block.

Not fond of this change at all, much prefer the way HoN decided to do it after a long debate on the forums.
    It remains true to how DotA's linkins work, just without the inconsistencies.

Here's the description of Nullstone, note the lack of ambiguity.
    When not in cooldown, negates a single targeted spell.
    and that's exactly what it does! How do you know something is a single targeted spell? It's written on the skill description ingame...
    In HoN sandking's burrowstrike would be considered a dual targeted spell, that means you can either target the ground or the unit. Having a duo targeted spell gives you a tactical choice vs Linkin, you can either stun the enemy, or you can remove the linkins and make the enemy vulnerable to a more deadlier spell from ally. It adds more tactical depth to the game.

Currently in DOTA2 that depth has been removed whilst making things even more inconsistent.

Basic Member
    the thing is, it shoud be like this, IF U RLY CLICK WITH FISSURE ON A HERO, than it is ok for linkens to trigger, but if arent the biggest newb of the universe and can calculate the way of running away hero and stun the ground near him, than he must be effected by the stun and take dmg, like in dota 1, otherwise i see it as a buff for linkenssphere..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFrog View Post
    This is an intended change with regards to impale/burrowstrike/etc. Feel free to discuss
    the way it was before is better imo or at least make it absorve the damage but no the stun/slow etc