Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plans on improving ward placing?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    I think that he has a point. Warding spots MUST stay the same or they will affect balance.
    PLEASE read the OP and my other posts in the thread and DONT DERAIL THE THREAD. The issue I pointed to is important, but I don't think it should change balance.

Basic Member
    Agree with OP, the message is annoying as you try to spam click to place wards.
    Two of the most annoying locations where you have to try 10 times before the ward actually gets placed
    http://www.team-dignitas.net/uploads...rdguide_5a.jpg
    http://www.team-dignitas.net/uploads...rdguide_9a.jpg

IMO there should be a visual indicator when you click on a ward, which shows which exact places a ward can be placed at. Areas that a ward cannot be placed out can be indicated by a red colour.

I will bump this until there's word from Valve on this.

Basic Member

Reposted the picture of OP here because people seem to not click links and still get it wrong.
    It's spots like this one that need serious fixing. Basically you want to place a ward on a valid standard spot but your cursor is missplaced by 1 mm while optically the spot still seems to belong to the valid part, not the unplacable cliff.

The problem is the optically valid looking and the engine-wise allowed area are not consistent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pilzquadrat View Post

Reposted the picture of OP here because people seem to not click links and still get it wrong.
    It's spots like this one that need serious fixing. Basically you want to place a ward on a valid standard spot but your cursor is missplaced by 1 mm while optically the spot still seems to belong to the valid part, not the unplacable cliff.

The problem is the optically valid looking and the engine-wise allowed area are not consistent.
    Good summary of the problem.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by chojje View Post
    Good summary of the problem.
    But that is not a summary of the problem at all. You're suggesting completely new locations.
    For example, the following suggested location could hugely effect the balance (and being untargetable from one, maybe both sides of the cliff)

I agree with this one, though. It always bugs me:

I, for one, welcome our new Russian overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by k0i View Post
    But that is not a summary of the problem at all. You're suggesting completely new locations.
    For example, the following suggested location could hugely effect the balance (and being untargetable from one, maybe both sides of the cliff)
    Not necessarily, a solution to this could be to just place the ward in the closest viable spot if there's one within a very small range. So for instance if I were to place it on his picture, it would go down in the correct spot a few units away; as opposed to if I placed it in your picture, it would tell me it's an invalid location because there is no valid location nearby.

Granted this is not something that just be placed into the game at the drop of a hat.

Well the "quirkyness" could be dealt with by:
    - adding a visual hint to the mouse pointer, whether you are hovering a valid ward position (f.e. pointer turns green) or an invalid ward position (f.e. pointer turns dark red)
    - the ward placement command not getting canceled if you try placing a ward at an invalid spot (just like it is in warcraft 3)

I don't think we need additional visual clues on the map itself where wards can be placed and where not. Test it out. That's all.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7