Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Plans on improving ward placing?

Plans on improving ward placing?

Is there any plan to fix the quirkyness currently making warding a mess? There are a lot of spots on the map which looks like perfectly fine ward spots, which dont work and give you an "invalid ward spot" message. In a stressed situation this can make the difference of a game won or lost, so I'd really love if you'd take a look at some of these spots.

Added a great number of screenshots of awkward ward positions where I often get to try a few times before I succeed - if at all.

I appreciate that a lot of these places are blocked for balance reasons, but then I suggest a better clarification (mountain tops rather than flat, ward-encouraging surfaces?).

Another thing I noted is that its way easier warding inside the Radiant base than in the Dire one. Balance issue? Someone should compare these spots to DotA 1 in order to verify is this is a bug or intended.

Screenshots of ward places: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...9/screenshots/ (the ones taken on may 9th)
    Last edited by chojje; 05-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.

bump. put a lot of work into this so it would be a shame if it went unnoticed.

Basic Member
    ok, some of those hills might be a little bit confusing at first. but seriously, you try to place a ward there once, then you get the error "invalid ward location" and then you are done with it. i dont see the problem. do you want a here-you-can-place-wards-overlay?
    i am quite happy with seeing the wc3 dota map ported almost exactly and wc3 dota had those spots too.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Agree completely with the OP, currently the way warding works all the spots are generic and easy counter.

Current warding spots allow no real variation.

Hm I really need to clarify here. The problem in most cases is that there is some kind of cliff edge (even in specific standard ward locations) where map details such as bushes and cliff edges block warding where I dont believe they should be. What I want is a more clear indication of where wards are possible to place, not more places to place wards (unless it would improve the game in some way). In fact I believe a lot of the places I pointed out would be quite imbalanced if they were allowed, so I dont mind those, just the fact that it's hard to tell beforehand if theyre wardable or not.

A specific example which in fact has gotten me killed a few times due to having to place the ward several times to make it work is this: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...00987095660039 where you have to place it way off the edge in order to make it work. You cant argue that this is like this for balance issues, but a bug in the map which should be fixed. I dont believe these details occur in WC3 dota, but I cannot be sure.

Basic Member
    annoying issue for me as well

bump, is this intended (is it like this in DotA?) or has it been acknowledged?

Basic Member
    I got this issue today on the top rune standard warding place. I tried to place a ward anywhere on that cliff for 30 seconds, spamclicking and alwayss the stupid invalid ward spot message.

Bump. If someone could compare this to DotA it would be really great.

Basic Member
    I second this, I think we should be able to place wards wherever we want.