Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: In-game advertisement

Basic Member

Lightbulb [Suggestion] In-game advertisement

e: Either the topic is misleading or people are too lazy to read the OP(or dumb as fuck, what i am pretty sure of, since this thread is in spectating/live games, its obv what it must be about.). But since they post bs on regular basis, i edit the OP and clarify. This thread is about dotatv ads for competetive games, its about ideas how to grow dota2 as an esports title for the following 5+ years.

The thread is meant to discuss about weather the features should be implemented or not and how it could/should be done.

Blizzard sadly missed the opportunity to implement “craft”TV three times in a row, its very nice too see that there are game developers out there which are able to do it right, its awesome that u are implementing dotaTV right from the beginning. Thats what a big eSports game need, an easy to access in-game broadcast system with low bandwidth use, HD resolution and maximum control of the camera view, without a doubt the best way to broadcast eSports to its many fans. But since I havent read anything about plans towards in-game advertisement I would like to point out how important it is. Most money in todays eSports comes from sponsors, their main, not to say only, goal is to advertise their brand/products. A goal far easier to score on an video stream then any known “ingame”TV, because of that fact I have seen leagues forbid any hlTV coverage and force every user to their shitty video stream with all its disadvantages for the fans.
    A carefully thought out in-game advertisement system would guarantee the best possible exposure for the sponsors, make them happy and ensure larger/longer future cooperation between the leagues and sponsors. Although I have no accurate idea how it can be done, but I know it MUST be done and you are the one capable of finally doing it, for dota and eSports as a whole!

I had three ideas so far. Interface banner ads, map ground and/or signboard banner ads and banner ad short time pop ups in cooperation with google adsense or alike.

1. Interface banner ads
    The main dota interface should leave some space for ad banners and give leagues the rights to implement the logos of their sponsors. Allowing animated .gifs would give the opportunity to cycle thru all sponsors. Ten to hundred thousands of viewers would see them 30-90min per match and make the sponsors happy.

2. Map ground and signboard banners
    Map ground = ad on the map ground in some parts of the map
    signboard banners = special signboard where banner ads can be placed
    few examples from wc3 and sc2
    http://warcraft.ingame.de/tips/orks/...pfposition.jpg
    http://i53.tinypic.com/eg67iu.jpg
    http://i54.tinypic.com/15x5060.jpg
    More difficult to implement then the interface version, but less intrusive if the banner itself is designed correctly. The question is, if every dota cup/league especially the smaller sized have the picture editing skills. The question is also which brand logos can be implemented properly, some might naturally fit better then other. The biggest disadvantage is the fact that this logos wont be seen during the most match time, since they cant be everywhere.

3. short time pop ups in cooperation with google adsense or alike
    Such banners can be seen on youtube for example, they appear for short time and are not very intrusive, especially if they appear in predefined interface spots(similar to 1.). Main advantage would be the fact that this ads would appear idiomatically, giving small leagues or even single pro teams the opportunity to monetize their content. To accomplish such a cooparation valve themselves has to make a step forward and work out the contracts and technical ways to implement this ads (in the first place designed for homepages and videos)in game. Preferably valve should get all the ad money and then redistribute it to the leagues and players(depending on the views), that way even the smallest leagues and even usual progamer practice matches could be monetized. Valve could “sell” dota2 as a whole, making it far more attractive for all ad partners, allowing more beneficial contracts.
    It might sound weird to put google adsense and alike ingame, but steam with tens of millions of user is a very attractive place for advertisers, why not use it and bring the eSports forward?

4. Video ads could be shown at the end of a match, halfscreen, while the viewers are cheking out the scoreboard. Less ideal, but still possible, videos also could be shown shortly after the pick phase, before the creep spawn. Less ideal because firstblood could happen during that time. This way we could have video ads and they wouldnt be too intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by cathead View Post
    It's definitely a situation that must be considered carefully, but I think there are ways to make it work without getting in the way of the spectators too much. One idea could be making the "loading game" splash screen customizable, so organizers could put some kind of ad on that screen. I also liked the idea of having a MotD type of screen after you load in that you must click through, similar to what you would see on a TF2 server. Both ideas would be fairly unintrusive since you only see it when you load in, and wouldn't interfere with the game itself at all.
    In the “today” section could be a slot for an image. The hoster of the event should have the possibility to fill that slot with their logo, either league or/and sponsor.
    How the views are counted is still an open question. But they need to be counted, since the hoster of the event need that information for the sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Just a stray thought: it would be interesting if a player could have individual UI banners for perspective cam in replays, given that they aren't in a game with preexisting UI banners. This would give players an option to further capitalize on their fame, and possibly make sponsorship pay better. It could also theoretically be used for personal, non-advertisement purposes as well, of course.
    ads of any kind could be shown during game pauses, which happen in competetive dota in nearly every match.
    issues
    1. Video ads during a pause WOULD be very inrusive non the less
    2. such ad space/time is harder to sell to advertisers, because its random, making it non ideal for all tournament hosters

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    An alternative to MOTDs might be advertisements or sponsorship images during the drafting splashscreen.

e.g. When Na'Vi plays, they get sponsor images of Steelseries and Kaspersky etc under their team in the draft. When MYM plays they get Razer etc.

Or perhaps if you go to player perspective/hero chase it could show a sponsor image in the empty UI space that many streamers currently use for camera feeds or still images.
    additivly there still need to be some space for league-sponsor advertisment!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydorry View Post
    People that buy tickets are directly supporting the tournament and supporters (depending on revenue model). There should be no ads at all if you buy a ticket.
    Last edited by daarkside; 02-07-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Basic Member
    I actually think this is a fantastic idea.

The Banner / Signboard suggestion, if implemented correctly, could without a doubt turn some great profit! However if over saturated it'll just become an annoyance : |

I think Banners @ the Dire / Radiant fountains + Roshan + replacing some trees with some form of signboard could work wonders.

Basic Member
    I HATE option #3. Its SO anoying. Watching the same 30 seconds over and over again makes me wanna kill some1.

I think he doesn't talk about a Video in option 3.

Sometimes YouTube places an ad that pops up at the bottom of the screen around 1 minute into a video, which you can click away instantly.

Good idea, as long as it can't be abused for gaining money for nothing, and it isn't too annoying.

Basic Member
    BLABLAFU2 is right, I wasnt talking about videos in the first place, I hardly can picture a sponsor being happy about a 100x100 video window. But we can start a talk about videos ofc, maybe there are ways to make them work for fans and for advertisers. Playing a video at the END of a game, while viewers are checking out the game stats of their fav player could? Be a possibility.

Basic Member
    I would be really happy if something like this was implemented for the tournament features of the game. As a tournament host, it is of utmost importance that my sponsors get air time, and with valve tv at the moment, that is not possible like it has been with sc2 where I use overlays on my video stream.

Basic Member
    i really like #2, the way i see it would be something like how Sprays work in other Source engine games, (except obviously not something people can place anywhere at any time in any game, just something that the game creator can "pre-determine" before the game starts). and the image is textured right onto the environment.

Here are examples of what i'm talking about...

dota_ad_space1.pngdota_ad_space2.pngdota_ad_space3.png

first of all, its great to see u in the beta, people who are willing to do so much for dota-esports are rare.
    good idea with the brands, i mostly like the ones with "at the start and at the end of the game some kind of ads", mb vids. the one which suggested "implement grafics in the game itself" its also good, but im not sure how to done it, i rly like how its done in cs, at walls or the back of the models, razer logo at the totem of shaker^^ but then shaker wont be picked any time. mb this threads helps with brainstorming to get some good, well tought ideas for brands in dota TV.

If they implement Videos, they should be optional so you can turn them off at the settings. A lot of players will be pissed to no end when having a Video that has sound and whatnot. And those who don't care about it will still leave it on to help out people.

I really like this idea too.

Depending on whether or not the server binaries are made public or not, I'd also like to see MotD implemented as a way GSP's can help get their name out.

In response to your suggestions, I really like the map signboards idea. I think though, it would have to be an option for the shoutcasters/spectators to put into their game, so only the people watching the streams will be effected.

I also think that it would be a great idea to make use of the small areas on the sides of the HUD that are blank, for streamers to be able to put images there, native to the game (rather than having an overlay).

The Today Page could also be used to advertise the larger tournaments which can also be used as adspace for sponsors logos.

As much as I do like this idea, I think advertising does need to be limited and specifically, only to be seen by spectators, otherwise it just kind of puts me off. Just like product placement in movies, it distracts you from the experience.