Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: In-game advertisement

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    i really like #2, the way i see it would be something like how Sprays work in other Source engine games, (except obviously not something people can place anywhere at any time in any game, just something that the game creator can "pre-determine" before the game starts). and the image is textured right onto the environment.

Here are examples of what i'm talking about...

Attachment 725Attachment 726Attachment 727
    This one is perfect, as long as they are disabled for the players(I can see that being annoying for a player).

Dota2 uses steam, and steam has quite a bunch of advertisement sections. It has the start-up screen with the game sales and events, etc. Even after you close Dota2 a newsletter pops up.

Wouldn't in game advertisements be overkill? After all, that's what Steam is for, distribute games and advertise in a clean and nice way.
    good day, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysiz View Post
    Dota2 uses steam, and steam has quite a bunch of advertisement sections. It has the start-up screen with the game sales and events, etc. Even after you close Dota2 a newsletter pops up.

Wouldn't in game advertisements be overkill? After all, that's what Steam is for, distribute games and advertise in a clean and nice way.
    I think this is more for the sponsors of the teams/touraments. I mean, they already put overlays over games, why not make it easier for them to do it, or do it in a clever way?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLABLAFU View Post
    If they implement Videos, they should be optional so you can turn them off at the settings. A lot of players will be pissed to no end when having a Video that has sound and whatnot. And those who don't care about it will still leave it on to help out people.
    absolutely, all kind of advertisement schould be visible for spectators only

Quote Originally Posted by totalfrenzy View Post
    I really like this idea too.

Depending on whether or not the server binaries are made public or not, I'd also like to see MotD implemented as a way GSP's can help get their name out.
    can u explain it pls?

In response to your suggestions, I really like the map signboards idea. I think though, it would have to be an option for the shoutcasters/spectators to put into their game, so only the people watching the streams will be effected.
    exactly

I also think that it would be a great idea to make use of the small areas on the sides of the HUD that are blank, for streamers to be able to put images there, native to the game (rather than having an overlay).
    as far as i am concerned 4:3 monitors have different sized blank areas(if at all), would be hard to make fitting banners for all resolutions, Valve would have to make some hud adjustments to make idea #1 possible, scalling it down for spectators could work

The Today Page could also be used to advertise the larger tournaments which can also be used as adspace for sponsors logos.
    on the one hand the today page will get ALOT of views, puttings ads there would help the tournament hosts alot
    on the other hand dota2's tournament landscape will be HUGE, making it necessary to advertise them all somewhere
    i am not sure about this idea

Quote Originally Posted by daarkside
    can u explain it pls?
    MotD is message of the day. If you've every played counter strike or team fortress, it is that screen that comes up before you choose teams. You can link it to a webpage.

as far as i am concerned 4:3 monitors have different sized blank areas(if at all), would be hard to make fitting banners for all resolutions, Valve would have to make some hud adjustments to make idea #1 possible, scalling it down for spectators could work
    That's true, but as you said, scaling should be fine

on the one hand the today page will get ALOT of views, puttings ads there would help the tournament hosts alot
    on the other hand dota2's tournament landscape will be HUGE, making it necessary to advertise them all somewhere
    i am not sure about this idea
    I assume most of the promo material for the tournaments will already have logos on them, and if they make it to the front page, you get some exposure there, and then if they make it in-game, there is some more.

Annoying adds are not cool its important that these dont get implemented, shit that pops up, stops you from using the game for a short period of time or simply flashes like crazy should always be avoided.

Basic Member
    No. Why are we talking about this? Valve will get enough money from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysiz View Post

you totally missed the point.

!support for the idea. This is something really needed for dota to grow even bigger.

I am utterly and totally against in game advertisment. What happens outside of the game I really couldnt care less, but ingame logos, popups etc., would really kill the game in my opinion.
    Always set the trail, Never follow the path!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaafu View Post
    No. Why are we talking about this? Valve will get enough money from the shop.
    We're not talking about money for Valve, we're talking about tournament organizers or shoutcasters being able to monetize their efforts in-game as they currently do with streams. The option to spectate and have commentary in-game is AWESOME, but if there's not a way for advertisements to be used or some other sort of monetization scheme, the casters won't want to use it over just streaming stuff to a website with ads/overlays.

It's definitely a situation that must be considered carefully, but I think there are ways to make it work without getting in the way of the spectators too much. One idea could be making the "loading game" splash screen customizable, so organizers could put some kind of ad on that screen. I also liked the idea of having a MotD type of screen after you load in that you must click through, similar to what you would see on a TF2 server. Both ideas would be fairly unintrusive since you only see it when you load in, and wouldn't interfere with the game itself at all.
    Last edited by cathead; 10-31-2011 at 05:01 AM.