Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: In-game advertisement

They can make banners and popups on their stream, Why would it there be a need for in game marketing?
    Always set the trail, Never follow the path!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EeRi3 View Post
    They can make banners and popups on their stream, Why would it there be a need for in game marketing?
    Because you WANT people to use the in-game system instead of streams! That's the entire point. It's more robust, the graphics are better, etc. It benefits valve more as well since people would be more likely to look at the store or whatever they end up doing.

There's the additional problem of if dota2 is a F2P game and everyone can just watch stuff in-game easily, stream viewership might drop severely and affect the current streamers and tournament organizers out there who work hard to bring us content for the game. If they can't take advantage of the in-game stuff to continue doing what they've been doing, it's going to kind of suck for them.

Dota2's e-sports potential is huge but if we want it to succeed, things like this need to be considered at least.

edit: Just as an aside, something I had considered but I don't have enough advertising/marketing knowledge to know if this would work... You COULD always have the casters themselves do some sort of audible advertisement during their cast, similar to how you have "live reads" on the radio. I am wondering how feasible that would be. Maybe combining that with some quick loading/motd type thing would be good enough so that it's not necessary to put actual ads during the game?
    Last edited by cathead; 10-31-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Basic Member
    edited the first post, with the video idea at the end of a game and with
    Quote Originally Posted by cathead View Post
    It's definitely a situation that must be considered carefully, but I think there are ways to make it work without getting in the way of the spectators too much. One idea could be making the "loading game" splash screen customizable, so organizers could put some kind of ad on that screen. I also liked the idea of having a MotD type of screen after you load in that you must click through, similar to what you would see on a TF2 server. Both ideas would be fairly unintrusive since you only see it when you load in, and wouldn't interfere with the game itself at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by cathead View Post
    edit: Just as an aside, something I had considered but I don't have enough advertising/marketing knowledge to know if this would work... You COULD always have the casters themselves do some sort of audible advertisement during their cast, similar to how you have "live reads" on the radio. I am wondering how feasible that would be. Maybe combining that with some quick loading/motd type thing would be good enough so that it's not necessary to put actual ads during the game?
    Is done in todays esports on regular basis, even at the video streams. It works, but is not exactly a big step forward for eSports in general. The aim for dota2 tournaments shouldnt be "enough to survive", it should be "enough to grow, exponentially"

Basic Member
    i think product placements the way to go. think about it, instead of mana pot, a bottle of pepsi

hood = nike jacket

The entire industry will make fun of Valve for implementing ingame advertising, honestly. This is the type of things you would not expect from a known company developing a highly anticipated game.

Why don't you guys stop worrying about such things? You are NOT the one in charge. As hard as it sounds, you are not supposed to discuss such things. Same with whether or not this game should be free to play. We don't work at Valve and there is no need to discuss the company's economic plan. We are here to give feedback about the game, not to make the game. You did take some time writing this thread, but there is no point to do so. Valve will not browse the forums thinking "Hmm, I wonder what the community thinks about ingame advertisement". Of course, they will NOT like it. Every sane person I know does not like advertisements and would vote against them. Do you watch TV thinking "Hmm, I think they should send more commercials! It will sure help them."
    Valve actually does have people who got a degree in economics and they do have experience in the gaming industry. They sure do not need people discussing their economic model without even being asked.

I really wonder if you guys understand your role. It is not your game, not your product. Yes, we do help making this game better by giving feedback, but giving feedback does not include things like that. This is insanity. It is not for us to decide whether or not Valve needs money by implementing advertising. I might come across as a total dick, but sometimes a simple facepalm in front of your screen is simply not enough.

Once again since it seems like people are just commenting without reading the thread: this is NOT about advertising Steam/Valve games. I have a feeling that a lot of the people commenting on this thread do not watch a lot of tournaments or player streams...

The goal is to augment eSports since it directly allows tournament organizers to showcase logos during match play. This already occurs by using overlays run by third party programs. I personally don't like the idea of animated .GIFs as that can be distracting, but being able to insert .PNG logo images onto specific points of the map ground (fountain, middle of lanes, Roshan, glyph locations, etc) seems like an awesome idea. I also like the idea that the logos could rotate at set intervals of time allowing for multiple sponsors to have their logos presented.

I support the idea because better sponsorship opportunities will only lead to bigger and better tournaments.

Basic Member
    Yeah, please understand that we're not discussing how Valve should monetize their game. We're discussing ways for tournament organizers and shoutcasters to use the in-game spectating system for their casts, while still being able to make money to support their work the way they currently do now (by having ads and/or sponsorships on the streams people are watching).

Quote Originally Posted by EeRi3 View Post
    Do you want professional tournaments to block out viewing thru client and making replays unavailable? or do you want to be able to view the games live using the client?

Quote Originally Posted by nitestryker View Post
    i think product placements the way to go. think about it, instead of mana pot, a bottle of pepsi

hood = nike jacket
    great idea!

Sorry but it's a horrible idea.
    Just make it P2P. No advertisements or something like that.
    Besides: F2P would pretty much destroy the game.