Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: anti spoiler replay feature

Basic Member

Lightbulb anti spoiler replay feature

e6:
    Valve noticed this issue as an issue, they added dummy games on the main TI2013 page as seen at second match of the day http://www.dota2.com/international/m...ule/wednesday/
    So, it seems they got this simple wisdom, but not quite, they still dont provide a vailable and automatic solution for smaller tournaments.
    e6:

The thread is meant to discuss about weather the features should be implemented or not and how it could/should be done.

Most replay and vod databases in today’s esports spoiler the outcome of the matches to some degree, an annoying fact especially for hardcore fans, that type of fans where the most admins/proplayer/casters are bred. Since dota2 will most likely have only one database for all its esports content its very important to make THIS ONE spoiler free. Dota2 tournaments will happen all around the globe, many fans - hardcore or not - will not be able to watch the games live. Comparing to a live match a replay is somewhat of a drawback already, a replay of game u know the outcome of is even worse.
    There are basicly two major spoiler issues, knowing the number of total games played in a bo3(e. g.) and the length of a given game. Knowing the number of games played + the outcome of the first game, always spoiler the winner of the 2nd game, in a 2:0 match, 50% the games are spoiled that way. Knowing the game length the outcomes of some fights are obvious even before they start, these fights are often times the deciding fights and by nature the most exciting of the whole game, in theory, not in practice, not if u know the outcome beforehand.
    I want suggest a “anti-spoiler” option, which if enabled hide the number of games of a match and the game length of replays.
    To hide the game length is an easy thing, just hide the duration ingame with an overlay and at the “watch/recent games” tab, in that tab all the other replay related data should be hid too, because they also spoiler the outcome of the game. Picks(not the whole hero details) should could be shown optionally, since they are relevant to rate the entertainment value of the game beforehand and do not reveal the outcome.
    To hide the number of games is somewhat more difficult because it need a further filter improvement, the filter need an additional option to choose, “league/cup” info. I am not sure how this info could automatically be added to the played games, mby u have an idea, but if not, it shouldnt be big of a deal to let admins manually add it, there are plenty of good and dedicated cup admins and replay uploaders in dota1, there do it since years for many sites, granted the rights to do in for dota2 ingame replay database they surely would do it for dota2 also. With “anti-spoiler” option enabled and “league/cup” choosen, all replays are automatically sorted by start date/time.
    e.g.
    6th oct 2011 01:00 pm
    NAVI vs MYM
    EH vs NV
    TR vs M5
    +
    6th oct 2011 02:30 pm
    NAVI vs MYM
    EH vs NV
    TR vs M5
    +

Info/explanation
    + The next button, after clicking it the next set of matches is visible, most likely the next cup round or the 2nd game of the match, since they are sorted by date/time.
    The viewers see only the first set of matches (from 1pm in this example) and by clicking on the next button can reveal the next set of games(2:30pm in this example).
    The main anti-spoiler effect comes from the next button, because there is automatically and always a next button even if the last visible set of games where already the last of the cup.
    In this example, imagine it was a bo3, all games were 2:0, but thanks to the interface the viewer thinks there might be a 3rd game, that way he doesnt know the outcome of all 2nd games he is just about to watch and hopefully enjoy.
    The games are grouped within +-20 min range, to catch most delayed games of a cup round, otherwise there would be too many next buttons to click to catch all games that started from 01:00pm to 01:20 pm, imagine a big cup, will be pretty annoying for the fans to press “next” 20 times to see all avaible round 1 games, which they need to see to be able to decide which of them they want to watch.
    There also should be a check button “exclude watched” in the filter options, checked viewers should only have replay displayed they havent see yet, that way they not only can easialy keep track of which games of a cup are remaining, they also do not need to hit the “next” button 10 times to come to the final game. The “exclude watched” check button should be avaible regardless if the viwer has the “anti-spoiler” option enabled or not.

e:
    as of now 26.09.2011, the replay options menu contains many useful options u as a fan want to use, diferent casters, dieferent caster/player perspectives AND the game length. So u either dont use this great options(which make the dota2 spec mode the state of the art in todays esports) OR u use them but get the outcome of the game spoilered, which is kinda not the state of the art. The "hide game length" feature belong to this tab, so u can hide the game length and still use the awesome other features.

e2:
    The game length bar has another awesome feature in itself, it allows fans to rewind the replay, hiding the game length bar would "disable" this feature. So i suggest adding some buttons and hotkeys to allow ppl who hid the bar, rewind the rep with that new hotkeys.

e3:
    TI2 lacked that next button, the outcome of the last game and the winner were obv, because there was no following game. So the last game of the biggest tournament became the most boring at the same time.

e4:
    from http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=56207
    add a feture to hide the like/dislike bar
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen View Post
    Watching TI2 was great! I loved every bit of it and are looking forward to next year. But there was one thing bothering me. I were able to predict if Na'Vi could get the win or not, just by looking at the likes and dislikes. My friend could do the same.

So I did some "research". I went through all of Na'Vi's games from the main event and looked at how many likes vs. dislikes they had in games they won, compared to games they lost. They won 7 matches and lost 6 matches.

This is the overall result:

7 Wins = 58349 likes and 1931 dislikes. This equals 3,2 % dislikes.

6 Losses = 52672 likes and 4403 dislikes. This equals 7,7 % dislikes.

http://imgur.com/9Lqwx

You might think that this isn't that big of a difference, but as a person who're very aware of things like this (numbers and patterns in this case) it made my experience not as good as it could have been.

e5:
    from DotaTV spoiling match results
    So, The TI3 qualifiers are up, and those matches have a 6 minute delay. Okay, that's cool. But as soon as the match ends, the stats for the game(such as who won) can be accessed on DotaTV. Even when the game is still live on streams and in-game. This leads to a lot of people seeing the results and spoiling for others at the stream or ingame chat.

Can Valve do anything to prevent this? Maybe hide the Match details from the public for 6 minutes?

e6:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel101 View Post
    Second, it would be good if there were some way to view the heroes played in a game without revealing the full scoreboard.
    Last edited by daarkside; 08-13-2013 at 02:22 PM.

That's a good idea. It's always PITA when you get spoilered by a bo3 or the length of 30 minutes (and you're at the 20 minutes mark). The last 3 tournaments were one-sided (The International, ESWC and The Clash). If I wouldn't have seen it live, I would have been spoilered by the results.
    Agreed. I like the system.

Basic Member
    i really like this idea, i didn't see the ESWC matches live, and i wanted to watch the stream on joindota because the in game replays don't have the voice channels working as far as i know. and in the list of games, (since they were sorted most recent first ) i had an idea that navi won, and within 5 minutes of watching game 1, i knew immediately they took the championship because there were only 2 games up.

Now, its not surprise that they absolutely dominated. But it would have been nice to be in the dark. I might have actually watched all the matches from the beginning if they weren't spoiled. in fact i might watch more and more replays just for the entertainment value if i didn't know the outcomes. Right now, its strictly for strategy farming for me.

Great idea, I thought it was only me that got tremendously annoyed at the Bo3 second game spoiler. Game length is another big spoiler, so another great idea. Same goes for auto-displaying hero final items and hero kills/deaths. Hide all that crap, I just want to know whether it was a good replay or not.

i think this would be a great feature as long as it can be turned on or off.

+1

Yeah +1 a spoiler is definitely needed imo

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by findus View Post
    Great idea, I thought it was only me that got tremendously annoyed at the Bo3 second game spoiler. Game length is another big spoiler, so another great idea. Same goes for auto-displaying hero final items and hero kills/deaths. Hide all that crap, I just want to know whether it was a good replay or not.
    then u might be intereseted in this topic http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...for-replays-so and help develop some ideas towards replay rating

+1

y don't want to get spoilered.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7