Thread: Treant Protector

Treant Protector

Nothing like rooting yourself a semi-official thread.

"Far to the west, in the mountains beyond the Vale of Augury, lie the remains of an ancient power, a fount of eldritch energy nestled deep in the high woods. It is said that the things that grow here, grow strangely. To the forces of nature this is a sacred place, made to stay hidden and unknown. Many are the traps and dangers of this land--all-consuming grasses and crossbred fauna and poisonous flowers--but none are so fierce as the mighty Treant Protectors. These ageless, titanic beings, charged with keeping the peace in this dangerous land, ensure that none within encroach without reason, and none without poach their secrets. For time untold they tended to their holy ground, uninterrupted, only dimly aware of the changing world beyond. Yet inevitably the wider world grew aware of this untamed land, and with each passing winter the outsiders grew bolder. Soon they arrived with tools to cut and with flames to burn, and often the Treants would ponder: who are these fragile, industrious creatures? What now had become of the wild, green world? There came and went an age of questions and of doubts, a thousand summers of long traditions set to scrutiny, while more and more the outsiders died and fed their earth. When all that bloomed had finally finished their say, curiosity had overcome caution. It was decided: a lone Protector would be sent into the wider world, and instructed to wander until the glaciers arose once more, to observe the changing land and its creatures, and to discover what unknown dangers could threaten their sacred ground."

Woo. So, I'm sure some people might complain that the Lore doesn't really give Treant Protector much of his own personality, but I think I'll preempt them in saying that, that may be the point?

Treant Protector and his kind might be older than Nature's Prophet because NP was born after Verodicia finished (though I can't tell if nature had already grown before then or if it began growing at NP's birth) or NP is just small which is why TP calls him little tree.

Actually it does give an idea of their personality, since it all but says that they are rather calm and patient. Indeed, they definitely remind me of the Lord of the Rings treants (and I'm ok with that btw), as they paid until recently little attention to the surrounding world. When you hear his voice he kind of translates slow and ponderous action.

As of me, it doesn't tell much of his personality mostly because his personality isn't something that's easy to tell about in an entertaining way. I'll just quote Rooftrellen himself:
    "A tree killed you. A tree!"

He is a tree. And a protector.

Though I still should say that this lore feels very, very similar to Earthshaker's. Seriously, the biggest difference between them is that Raigor left his "home" willingly, and Rooftrellen was chosen by the other treant protectors. And that he's a tree.

They're both similar, in that they're the land given life, but in Earthshaker's case, he attained consciousness himself while TP's kind was "created" by "eldritch energies" to act as guardians (basically his kind and all the plants that grow in their home were mutated by magic). Plus, Earthshaker never left any home. He's basically the 'avatar' of the land given a form. If anything, ES's lore is closer to Sand King's than TP's.

Basic Member
    Cool. Reminds me of the ents from Lord of the Rings.