Page 13 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Lore Megathread

I find it interesting that Mangix and Ulfsaar have pointed ears. However, Lone Druid's bear, Lone Druid in bear form, and the Primal Split spirits all have more traditional bear ears.

Btw, Death Prophet also has long ears, but that had been addressed in the first page anyways. And we can now finally confirm (officially) that Drow has not, if you give her the frost hair cosmetic.
    Lich and Necrolyte's are notable in that they're curved. Probably a design choice and a good one too: Gives them the look of evil horns, and Lich and Necrolyte are the only heroes that fit the "Evil"category out of those with long ears.

My theory? Valve will pull off a Divine Creation of the human race, where the original humans had long ears which was a divine trait, but that was lost as the divine blood got diluted. Seems like a reasonably common thing to see in fiction, without it being directly addressed.

About the bears, not sure if we can draw a comparison, I mean: Is Lone Druid an (Ancient) Ursa? But then again, why not? The Primal Spirits were probably alive at some point between Mangix's and Sylla's birth, thus would have the appearance of something in-between.

What about similarities between void and bane? They both has no eyes, the same mark and skin color. This certainly looks like a connection for me.
    Sadly enough they both also has the blankest lores in the whole dota 2 hero pool.
    Last edited by SoJa; 06-02-2012 at 12:09 AM.

A sign of beings come from the world out of time? Dream world does not have time, right?
    "HUMAN ELEMENT"

SoJa: What Shadow said. You have to consider backgrounds as well. Void seems to come from a different dimension while Bane was born from a goddess' nightmares. No relation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Codfish View Post
    Speaking of pointy ears, do we know how old Necrolyte is? If he's not actually some sort of 'ancient' like Invoker, Lone Druid, or (to a lesser extent to the others, perhaps?) Lich, then pointy ears could just be attributed to magical power.
    I also have this question. Necro's ears is much much longer than most of the pointy ears possessers.

Lets say the pointier their ears, the more powerful they will be. But comparing to Invoker, I doubt Necrolyte is somehow stronger than him. If we reverse this theory, Lina and Rylai will be more powerful than the elders, which is not.

If the ears symbolize for the age of their bodies, Nec will be the oldest one.

If they symbolize for their magic. Plague magic makes its caster has longer ears? Unlikely.

Maybe, he is not even human. His Order did not expect that his natural immunity could be that strong.
    "HUMAN ELEMENT"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowThanatos View Post
    Maybe, he is not even human. His Order did not expect that his natural immunity could be that strong.
    Maybe he is human, was born recently and is actually still alive. I love Necrolyte in that despite looking undead, there's no indication that he actually is, unlike Lich which we know is "really, really old".

The vast difference between his ears and everyone else's bother me a bit because of it.

Guys, size doesn't matter. Hasn't anyone ever told you that?

I really enjoyed reading this. Good job mate, and I hope you are going to continue with this work ! =D

Quote Originally Posted by The_Codfish View Post
    SoJa: What Shadow said. You have to consider backgrounds as well. Void seems to come from a different dimension while Bane was born from a goddess' nightmares. No relation.
    True, but you may remember that Bane used to be a horse skeleton thingie before he was turned into the current design.
    And the current design is connected with faceless void, im sure it cant be a coincidence. In void's items lore it says that he can adopt different forms, so maybe they're some kind of species that can adopt different shapes and marked by lack of eyes, open lips and spear-alike sign across their faces. Again, we actually have no idea about Void's background. All we know is that he came from a realm outside of time, and that's it.

Anyway, it's an interesting visual connection and i myself have no idea why valve has implemented it.
    Last edited by SoJa; 06-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.