Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hero Unlock Progression Idea

Banned
    No we dont wanna unlock heroes like in LOL AND HON! This is just a stupid idea. When you buy a fighting game all characters are unlocked. The same goes for dota.

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisthis View Post
    Yea so, no one wants to have LoL's insane shop system in which it's totally impractical to unlock all the champions.

Anyhow, here's what I'm thinking. Each game played unlocks 1 or 2 heroes, a couple heroes are available by playing a bot game or two, and a couple are gained by completing some fairly simple achievements.

Yea you're jumping through hoops from the start, but these sort of incremental gains really give you just enough incremental satisfaction in playing a game to get you hooked on it.
    first of all, no.
    second of all, this isn't LoL where you need to unlock heroes.
    thirdly, hell to the fucking no.

Quote Originally Posted by BLABLAFU View Post
    Remember that pop up the first time you started Dota2? The one asking how good you are?

Chances are if you select "New to the Genre" you will start with a limited hero pool, to make getting into the game a bit easier. And you will only queue against other people that selected that choice as well.
    Sorry I don't remember , guess I failed and choose the one above it. Anyway to reset it and see how it works?

NO GOD DAMN. Simple suggs like that make me hate people like u!

Not going to flame you, but no. Sorry, but this idea is stupid.

LoL is that wat ----->>
    Last time I said that, I got banned. Interesting...

Since this is not LoL, you will start with every hero unlocked from the start. You will not have to play an amount of games for certain heros and you will not have to pay for them. This makes your idea pointless.

Something like that is in the works, but probably only if you choose "beginner". It's not exactly by small steps, but instead there are begginer games where only a small subset of the total pool is playable, making it easier for newcomers to learn all the begginer heroes before moving to the full, varied and complex >100 hero pool.

Those begginer games will probably only contain the heroes with most obvious mechanics (say, Lion, Lich, Sven, Faceless Void, QoP) and not include heroes that require research (to play, or to play against) like AA, Invoker, Tinker, Puck, Chen...

The naysayers didn't really understand your idea, most likely, and just want to post their funny "No!" post to show how edgy they're for not accepting the unlock economy (which everyone dislikes anyway).

Basic Member
    I think for new players who decides to choose "New Player" when they for the first time launch the game might have a restricted hero pool with mostly support heroes and those that are easy to get used to, simply to have a easier time to learn stuff one thing at the time (who would not have a hard time choosing between 100 heroes the first time they are playing the game?). Then, when the matches goes on and the system thinks the player are ready for other heroes that might be more complex than the current ones, the pool will open up a bit more and you will be able to choose more heroes and over time when you really get the hang of the game, then the whole hero pool is available.

Of course, you should be able to skip this progression at any time. Keep in mind that this feature is meant for new players and imagine how it would be completely new to the game, knowing nothing about a single hero and there is over 100 heroes to choose from.