Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The cards should NOT be part of the hero select screen

Basic Member
    +1
    only acceptable place for it to be is learn tab

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Almadiel View Post
    I disagree, new players look at the old huge grid and their eyes gloss over, all they could do is click at random. We found it ok because we know exactly where each hero is and what they all do. If you are not looking for a specific hero flipping through the cards gives you more information more quickly.
    I agree with this one. it is sometimes overwhelming for new players to look at all the heroes at once and pick as they are given a huge pool. the card, while giving the same amount of heroes is less daunting as it locks on a random hero a new player might play.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiNya View Post
    This only applies to players who have played the game for less than a week and don't even acknowledge the existence of the many heroes in DotA.
    Even then you are giving them 1 minute to browse through 100+ heroes ONE BY ONE NYA. It's.. Not gonna help in a REAL game. Though it'd be nice for the learn tab I guess? This is too fancy and slow for picking under pressure. Even in the old screen the pick time seemed short enough that many people couldn't make up their mind.
    Similar could be said with the grid, you only have 1 minute to click through each one and read which shouldn't be done at hero picking but assuming new players do, as Almadiel said, the card gives you a hero and info more quickly, plus the search function is still there if you know which to pick. the filters in this one is also visually intuitive as it removes all the others that do not belong instead of just graying them out.
    Last edited by mattlight07; 05-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.

The old one was perfectly fine. This is shit. +1
    SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION. DAMNIT.

Agreed. Maybe in the learn tab this would be awesome. But in the Pick Screen? HELL NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Almadiel View Post
    I disagree, new players look at the old huge grid and their eyes gloss over, all they could do is click at random. We found it ok because we know exactly where each hero is and what they all do. If you are not looking for a specific hero flipping through the cards gives you more information more quickly.
    +1
    Shut your and keep reading

Basic Member
    all nice and such to try to help out newer players, but when i was a new (dota 1) player myself ages ago i felt obligated to search and read everything about each hero on the usual web sites. So you wont be in a situation anymore that when you are actual in-game and staring to any grid interface, may that be the old one or the card based and feeling confused by doing so. Losing precious time in the process. At the moment there is no real practical efficiency in the new card based look.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orconem View Post
    People who are new to the game are going to be confused by the spinner
    I'm sure that people aren't as stupid as you think.

Banned
    +1

Basic Member
    What's up with cards anyway? Are we going to trade heroes or something? Are we playing magic the gathering?

+1 This hero selection is very similar to how League of Legends was when I tried it out about a year ago and it was horridly confusing, threw me off and generally made me unhappy. One of the reasons I never played it again.

If for some reason, this attracts new players, fine. But at least leave an option in the menu for us to switch back to the old mode if we want!