Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rough draft and ideas of a better Hero Selection Screen

Rough draft and ideas of a better Hero Selection Screen

The original look was a lot more complete yet simple and the new designs with the cards are quite nice. In my opinion, add them together and make a combined new look. This is just something rough, really rough, I made to show what I feel. I'll put some points up considering my photoshop skills are not up to par and I wanted the image to just make a point.

- The Pick Random Hero button should be just below the timer or somewhere more convenient.
    - The Spin to Random Hero "button" should get its own button like the Random hero button. Use that little spinning vortex image as the middle of the icon as well.
    - Add a Swap button that resembles the current buttons made for picking as well. They look nice and it would be a good fit.

My general reason why I made that picture.

You could maximize the use of the large area and remake the old selection screen into a more collected one while still having tons of room. Put the heroes, in my opinion, centered above the Chat section. If the hero portrait had its information more collected underneath it, you could put separate buttons right below the information. Even better, use the card as the portrait and have all the info as those little icons made up that are already on the cards. Keeping a teams list of heroes if -SD on the left side or putting their boxes for when they click a hero there as well could make it easier to watch.

If anyone wants to make mock ups of what they believe it should look like or use mine as a rough draft to create their own, go for it. Maybe someone has some amazing or interesting ideas for it as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy that some of you liked it and gave your opinions. I decided to do a little more touch up for what I originally wanted it to look like while combining others post ideas. As with what wesai said, it really is opinion oriented to have -swap as a button or not so instead I'm just going to leave it out.

Here's the All Pick picture revised. (I think you may have to right click, open image in new tab to get a better view)

- I honestly like the card idea with Single Draft mode but they still should add grayed out icons of heroes other players have.
    Like Slashdance said and really how it should be with allied hero picks...

name [str] [agi] [int]

name [str] [agi] [int]

name [str] [agi] [int]

name [str] [agi] [int]

name [str] [agi] [int]

If there is any more reception with ideas, I'll gladly try to incorporate them if I can. Also, if I get any great ideas on a better Hero Selection Screen I will remake and post the new picture.
    Last edited by Crabula; 05-24-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Basic Member
    I like it, it looks like a polished version of the old hero picker. +1 (the card wheel is too much tbh)

Me like

This should be the grid picker. Hell, this is what I thought the gridpicker would be before my eyes started melting.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

+1
    I like it

Anything would be better than that carousel of madness that is the current hero picker though lol

+1. Polished and not confusing.

+1
    This is really good. I liked the old one, this one adds the functionality of the new one to it.
    Please do it, Valve.

Basic Member
    Agreed, simple and sweet. It's all that is needed.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    +1. I really like it and with some additional stuff that valve adds...it will be amazing.