View Poll Results: What do you think of the new Hero Picker screen?

Voters
2547. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

148 5.81%
  • Like it

330 12.96%
  • Neutral

267 10.48%
  • Dislike

737 28.94%
  • Hate it

1,065 41.81%
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Picker Poll

Basic Member
    hate it!

both screens are horrible.
    cards? why? With so many heros, doesn`t make any sense. I wanna see all heros.
    About the grad: hate the effects, hate the size..

When I saw it on test server I thought it would be a A-B test, but I can't believe it's on now

Basic Member
    The cards are the worst thing happening to Dota atm.

I do not like this setup at all. It's confusing and unnecessary. I'm sure it's been said before but I feel like it's trying to tell me what role each hero plays and this is not something to be learned within the first 60 seconds of the game. I don't mind this setup being used under the "Learn" tab but the old hero picker ingame was perfect. It was clean, simple and had all the information needed. I really hope that Valve reverts the change for the ingame hero picker.

Basic Member
    Aesthetically, I think this new view looks very cool. However, from a PRACTICAL standpoint...its completely useless.

Yes, it has a search and filters...but those features only need to exist at all because they took away the ability to just see all available heros at once, which was far better. And if your comfortable enough with your hero choice to search for a particular hero's name, you would be comfortable enough to know where he was on the grid anyway.

To be fair, I think this will work fine for Single Draft mode, where you only have to consider 3 hero cards total. And it may be at least PASSABLE for allpick mode, where the hero pool is always the same. But for a mode where the hero pool changes (that is, Random Draft mode), and you have a very limited time to recognize and consider EVERY available choice in the pool and then pick one, this pick style is just awful. No redeeming value at all for RD.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemozini View Post
    I did try it in the test client and I simply hate it .. sorry Valve

TL: DR ..the hero pick screen is the wrong time and place for someone to read on, learn and filter heroes within 60 seconds.

------

* The non grid view is straight out useless and fits more of a smartphone app to learn Dota heroes on the go.

* Less focus on team picks , team set ups are left small in the corner

* Cards have no meaning and look bad , just added clutter. Why add clutter around heroes that Valve artist/modellers did a great job in making them look appealing and awesome. The card makes them look cheap

* The time to navigate the new interface and its features leaves less time to think for the right pick within 60 seconds or less when counter picking.

* Skill icons are smaller and harder to recognize visually

* Filtering is usually used to help to find a group of stuff within clutter. Clutter didn't exist in the original one , clutter was reinvented with new hero picker.

* Grid view keeps redirecting to the fail view.

* Grid view hero portraits are small.

* Can't view skills in grid view.

* Favorite heros ? seriously .... A person who is dumb enough to forgot whom are his fav. heroes , shouldn't play dota in the first place.

* The pick screen isn't the game

/rant over
    PRETTY MUCH all this. Except I could care less about the aesthetics. The real issue is in the time/confusion of the new hero pickers. It's fucking god awful. First off. Let's talk about RD.

In RD, your DEFAULT VIEW is STILL the "suggested starting heroes" ...because that's useful in RD, right? ok, so you have to go to grid view, np. oh, but if you click something and cancel it, it still shunts you back to card pick view.

Oh, and you only have 18s to do all this and pick a hero. Solid.

Secondly, after you pick your hero, do you get to see the remaining heroes left in pool? nope. you're screwed son. So you rely on everyone on the team to know what they're doing, and if they need suggestions? tough shit, you can't see the fucking grid. solid. CM and SD/RD are pretty much fucked by this, ya?

The regression with this patch is huge. stop trying to make the game look cool. That's what LoL did, and look how shitty their UI is. That's something like 6 solids in one post. That's one solid pile of shit we've collected gentlemen. I'm sorry to be so fucking angry about this, but if you've seen my fatal errors thread, you can understand how furious I am.

Gaben, I see you.

i like how it was before.. maybe you need just change how it looks, but concept was the best.. because now it isn't playable..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruggles View Post
    PRETTY MUCH all this. Except I could care less about the aesthetics. The real issue is in the time/confusion of the new hero pickers. It's fucking god awful. First off. Let's talk about RD.

In RD, your DEFAULT VIEW is STILL the "suggested starting heroes" ...because that's useful in RD, right? ok, so you have to go to grid view, np. oh, but if you click something and cancel it, it still shunts you back to card pick view.

Secondly, after you pick your hero, do you get to see the remaining heroes left in pool? nope. you're screwed son. So you rely on everyone on the team to know what they're doing, and if they need suggestions? tough shit, you can't see the fucking grid. solid. CM and SD/RD are pretty much fucked by this, ya?

The regression with this patch is huge. stop trying to make the game look cool. That's what LoL did, and look how shitty their UI is. That's something like 6 solids in one post. That's one solid pile of shit we've collected gentlemen. I'm sorry to be so fucking angry about this, but if you've seen my fatal errors thread, you can understand how furious I am.

Gaben, I see you.
    +1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruggles View Post

Gaben, I see you.
    +1, to sum it up in one sentence : DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN

Basic Member
    so i just played a round of random draft
    i was first pick
    NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON
    it was terrible
    if this isnt fixed soon chances are it will be a dealbreaker for me at least

The fact that I took the time to register on the forums just to vote that I hated it shows just how bad it is.