Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Hero Picker doesn't help players pick heroes quickly and efficiently

The new Hero Picker doesn't help players pick heroes quickly and efficiently

Despite the fact that the Hero Picker has been created to help new players, I believe that it is actually very inefficient at accomplishing its intended task. I understand that whether one likes it or not is purely based on preference, but I do believe that there are a couple of reasons that makes this Hero Picker less useful than the previous one. Here are my points:

1. Hero information isn't relayed quickly to the player. They have to hover over cards, click them and scroll through them by spinning the cards like a roulette to actually get the information that they need. The player cannot simply click on a hero and look at their skills - they are sent back and forth between each view style when clicking cards.

2. Even in Grid Mode, the Hero Picker hinders experienced players more than it helps them. In the previous hero selection screen, picking a hero was done in two simple steps that followed most players' natural way of reading information (from left to right). Since experienced players do not need that kind of information, they should be allowed to select a hero very efficiently in the same menu... and the current Hero Picker is too interactive and animated to allow this.

3. Confirmation buttons are all over the place. I did not naturally notice that the "Accept hero" button was one of the two buttons found underneath the center card. I would have to waste a couple of seconds to find it, which is something that should not happen in a game with timed hero selection. Confirmation buttons should be easily and naturally findable.

4. The Hero Picker menu is darker than before, and I feel drawn away from the actual game when in this menu. Cards are often darkened and with information being hidden from the player, it just feels too dark and not too interesting to look at.

All in all, there are too many steps required to pick a hero and hero selection does not follow the natural "left-to-right" way of reading information. I would heavily recommend at the very least adding a "simple" menu similar to the previous version made specifically for those that are confident enough in their skills and knowledge of the game to pick a hero under 2 seconds.
    Last edited by Bleako; 05-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    +1 Dota is not a card game

Basic Member
    +1 new UI is painful to use

You mean you don't like the fact that with the new hero picker, it will be a little bit harder for noobs to pick a carry in the first second and then say "me mid" and not giving a crap about what the team thinks or even discuss at least hero picks?

Besides, every time there comes a new layout change to a product that is regularly used by many people, they ALWAYS complain about a month or so and then they stop like babies. Remember YouTube layout? Facebook layout? Everyone complained so hard but now everyone got used to it and they do not mind it.

People who are developing our beloved Dota 2 are professionals. They know what they are doing. This forum just helps them spot bugs that come out of human error. Remember that it is still in BETA. Changes are inevitable. Patience dude

Basic Member
    okay valvedrone.
    i loved the update of the ui a while back
    i actually like the brand new dashboard (except the pink and the tiny chat box)
    however
    this is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable because it simply DOES NOT WORK EFFICIENTLY.

you talk about noobs instapicking carries?
    with the card system noobs will just favorite the carries and have it filtered so they can only see them
    you obviously did not think this through.

Basic Member
    actually most users cannot sustain an entire month of complaining so if the the developer ignores them long enough most people will just give up. Then your only 2 choices are to deal with it or stop using it. Most people I know STILL hate the FB changes they just don't vocalize it anymore since they know it isn't gonna change back. And no good alternative exists so you just have to stomach it.

The whole 'they're pros so they know best' is bullshit. Don't even go there. Pros make horrid choices all the time, history is littered with failed 'advances'. Enjoy your ZUNE. lol.

Basic Member
    Besides, every time there comes a new layout change to a product that is regularly used by many people, they ALWAYS complain about a month or so and then they stop like babies. Remember YouTube layout? Facebook layout? Everyone complained so hard but now everyone got used to it and they do not mind it.

People who are developing our beloved Dota 2 are professionals. They know what they are doing. This forum just helps them spot bugs that come out of human error. Remember that it is still in BETA. Changes are inevitable. Patience dude
    You have to be insane to actually think this UI was a good idea. It follows that terrible design philosophy that's been going around "more animated, more flashy and more crowded".

The original hero picker was quite good, and just needed a few modifications, not a complete overhaul.

Basic Member
    I generally really apreciate the good work the Dota2 team does on the game. There has been many good features introduced, mainly to improve the gaming experience for example the possibility to click on items and get them combined directly, but this new Main Menu Interface and the Hero Picker are simply NOT improving the gaming experiences. I love playing Dota but these Interfaces made me quit until they are changed....