Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra screenspace. Potentially gamebreaking. Discuss.

Extra screenspace. Potentially gamebreaking. Discuss.

People with massively sized monitors can cut their height or weight down to give them a massive amount of extra screen space.
    I didn't see a similiar thread via search. Either way I felt that this problem might be necessary to address now.

For instance, if you went from 1440x900 --> 1440x450, you keep the same amount of vertical field of view, but you get double the amount of horizontal field of view. This is a great way to get an insane amount of extra field of vision. Discuss whether or not this can be considered game-breaking and, as such, whether or not it should be addressed. With huge monitors, this is quite an advantage. Even on a relatively small monitor like mine you can see how powerful this can be.

Both resolutions compared.

Normal resolution. 1440x900

Half-height resolution. 1440x450
    Notice how much extra you get to see.

Here's another visual example!
    Last edited by Mittsies; 10-23-2011 at 09:30 AM.

I can't even fathom playing at 450 height without wanting to gouge my eyes out, but I can see how it could be considered unfair for those motivated enough to do so.

Banned
    In my opinion it is very important to get this fixed.
    Two possibilities:
    1. Let people decide themselves how much they want to be able to see on their screen
    2. Limit the field of view. This has the problem that it would suggest one optimal screen-ratio. For example we could make it 16:9 so everyone with 4:3 or 16:10 (like me) gets trouble as he is either wasting parts of his screen with black bars or has disadvantages.

I would like to see a free zoom mode (1) but it might require some rebalancing as it could cause some smaller balancing issues (examples: Puck, Mirana, Pudge, ...).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCrush View Post
    I can't even fathom playing at 450 height without wanting to gouge my eyes out, but I can see how it could be considered unfair for those motivated enough to do so.
    I think it's more an issue for people with multiple monitors having an advantage over those without (since as you say, playing at 450 height would suck bawlz).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCrush View Post
    You have to take into account that I have a relatively SMALL monitor.

Imagine someone with a huge monitor doing this trick.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittsies View Post
    You have to take into account that I have a relatively SMALL monitor.

Imagine someone with a huge monitor doing this trick.
    Eh; it's just as unbearable, but the advantage is certainly something that shouldn't exist.

Basic Member
    how did you get a 1440 x 450 resolution anyway? there is no option for it in the video options, and no value for it in the config, my monitor is 24" widescreen, i would assume that it can support that resolution if it can support 1900x1080

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    how did you get a 1440 x 450 resolution anyway? there is no option for it in the video options, and no value for it in the config, my monitor is 24" widescreen, i would assume that it can support that resolution if it can support 1900x1080
    Yes, would be nice if the OP or someone else would tell me/us...
    I also wanted to try it out...

Banned
    this is gamebreaking, plain and simple.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsdogsdogs View Post
    this is gamebreaking, plain and simple.
    Everyone knows that its gamebreaking. So what'd you suggest? Removing all screen ratios but one? Or accept it?