Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] New grid picker (screenshots included)

Quote Originally Posted by mk07ki View Post
    Felt like making another one with Mcccelvs' suggestion.

http://i.imgur.com/J7C3b.jpg

All credits go to Mcccelvs.
    add this to your original post

Basic Member
    Updated screenshots because I didn't think a few things through, and added another edit with a layout similar to the old one.

Grid picker with categories.

Heroes sorted into categories like they used to be.

Banned
    Updated screenshots because I didn't think a few things through, and added another edit with a layout similar to the old one.
    Me likey this one, just would like less overlapping of the cards, it makes it harder to reckognize the cards in the back.

Basic Member
    Mcccelvs' edit with my map and suggest slapped into it.

My edit of Mcccelvs' idea. All credits goes to him.
    If this incorporated the hero icons (those artistic portrait icons) for the grid mode instead of the overlapping cards, I would dare say that this is the best hero picker I've seen. It would take the style of the previous heropicker and incorporate it into the current model.

Since everyone is asking for an option to have grid view to stay on by default, here's how I imagine this option to look like:

Mcccelvs' edit with my map and suggest slapped into it.
    This is the best suggestion I've seen so far from all threads that have been up. I have always been a fan of the map idea and the grid looks much better when you have it split up in this way with your picked hero in the middle. Huge t-up!

Basic Member
    Mcccelvs' idea looks good, but imho would be better with a grid of portraits instead of cards.

Basic Member
    How about use mouse click to put icon to starting lane?

and draw line in starting lane mini map? XD

Basic Member
    Well, i want to share some thoughts here.
    The minimap is kinda useless (IMO) since you can always type it in chat "me btm with lich" or smth. But it spices up the design, tho! it looks nice.
    i'd rather have this simplified mode of [SUGGESTION] Team Balance / Team Builder.

About the picker, i absolutely love the idea very much +1 this, but by implementing this means that Valve has to discard the card scroll system, along with its spin to random hero, etc etc; also there will be too much empty space if the game mode is SD, for example.

"Then implement the card scroll system for SD!" yes, that's a good idea but that means inconsistency in hero picking UI. What about RD? Do you want 20 heroes with the card scroll system or make a new UI ? This will make things more complex than it is.

My conclusion is, this UI is very perfect for AP mode. Haven't thought the impacts to other modes, tho.. such as CM, AR, etc.
    Also don't forget that dota 2 will definitely have a swap hero function, so think of the spaces left also.

Peace . (and sorry for bad english)
    Last edited by andzero; 05-29-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andzero View Post
    also there will be too much empty space if the game mode is SD, for example.
    The pick screen should also show all the heroes your team mates got. This will become useful once we finally get -swap, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by andzero View Post
    My conclusion is, this UI is very perfect for AP mode. Haven't thought the impacts to other modes, tho.. such as CM, AR, etc.
    -ar doesn't need a pick screen, does it?
    For -cm/-cd/-xl I could show the bans/picks where it shows the selected hero in -ap.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    stop trying to shove the 'lane positioning' graph down everyones throats, it looks bad and is a stupid idea. people are going to go to whatever lane they want regardless if you click the mid line first or not
    Actually it's a pretty awesome idea, maybe you should stop pretending to be the authority on what 'everyone' thinks