Thread: Mirana Leap & Spell dodge

Basic Member

Mirana Leap & Spell dodge

This is in Brainstorming, because i might be mistaken about some of the dodgable spells (a link to a wc3 dota thread would be sweet). I also might have had bad timing on certain spells, so confirmation about those would be great. I also didnt test the almost instant spells such as Roar, Dragon Tail, etc, that might also be dodgable.

Summary:
    In WC3 Dota you could use Mirana's Leap to dodge certain spells. It is only possible for few of them in Dota 2.

Repro:
    1a. Cast Spell on Mirana
    1b. Attack Mirana
    2a. In the moment, in which the spell reaches Mirana, use leap
    2b. In the moment, in which the projectile reaches Mirana, use leap

Result:
    The attacks are dodged.
    The spell is not dodged. (Lion's Finger of Death, Phantom Lancer's Spirit Lance, Sven's Stormbolt, Huskar's Lifebreak, Axe's Culling Blade, Lina's Laguna Blade, Ogre Magi's Fireblast (the stun is almost instant))
    The spell is sometimes dodged (Lion's Impale/Crix' Burrowstrike (if you leap into the impale, you will be stunned/damaged)
    The spell damage is dodged, but not the spell effect. (further testing needed, possible candidates: laser, spiritlance, etc)
    The spell is dodged. (Leoric's Fireblast, Tidehunter's Gush, Alchemist's Unstable Concoction, Venge's Magic Missile, Sniper's Assassinate, Bounty's Shuriken, Brood's Spawn Spiderlings, Tinker's Laser/Missile, Necrolyte's Death Pulse, Witch Doctor's Cask, Dazzle's Touch)

Expected Result:
    The attacks are dodged.
    The spell is dodged.

Summary:
    In WC3 Dota you could counter Mirana's Leap dodge by carrying a gem. It is not possible in Dota 2.

Repro:
    Same as above but with gem on caster.

Result:
    Same as above.

Expected Result:
    The attacks should hit.
    The spells should hit.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

I'm too lazy to test right now, I need to do other stuff, but I'll just pop in to say that Life break, storm bolt, and spirit lance usually can't be dodged anyways, (well meaning, going invisible doesn't stop you from taking the damage/effect, which is basically all leap was in Dota1).

Quote Originally Posted by poochop View Post
    I'm too lazy to test right now, I need to do other stuff, but I'll just pop in to say that Life break, storm bolt, and spirit lance usually can't be dodged anyways, (well meaning, going invisible doesn't stop you from taking the damage/effect, which is basically all leap was in Dota1).
    Correct. These cannot be evaded by leap in Dota 1. Additionally, Laguna blade, Finger, Culling blade also cannot be evaded (assuming these spells are already cast on Mirana). Fireblast is technically evadable in Dota 1, but I believe in Dota 2 it is intended to be an instant stun instead of a stormbolt stun with 5000 ms.

Impale/burrowstrike are not avoided if you leap into them, leap does not make Mirana invulnerable.

Gem not countering leap dodge should be another intended fix.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Basic Member
    are you sure about fireblast?
    i am pretty sure, i have seen dodged fingers of death already, but that could have been in dota 2.
    concerning impale/burrowstrike, those spells were travelling from the caster to the target in dota 1, if i am not mistaken. so if you leap towards the caster, you should be able to avoid it.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Finger of death and laguna can be avoided by becoming invulnerable or magic immune in the 0.25 second delay before damage is actually done. As I recall, invisibility does not avoid them.

For impale and burrowstrike, valid targets in the spell area are stormbolted by dummy units that are created on top of the targets, and in the case of impale type stuns the dummy units are owned by the target, which means invisibility will not dodge the stormbolts. So, impale and burrowstrike cannot be evaded by leap.

Regarding fireblast, are you asking about fireblast being based off stormbolt in Dota 1, or the interaction in Dota 2?

Also, just to be sure we're on the same page and for anyone who asks, Leap allows you to dodge certain attacks in Dota 1 by giving Mirana invisibility for 0.01 seconds. It does not provide her with any kind of invulnerability.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 05-29-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Basic Member
    oh, sorry. was mixing up leoric's and ogre magi's fireblast.

so long story short:
    finger of death, laguna blade, phantom lance, lifebreak, culling blade and stormbolt (sven) were not dodgeable in dota 1 and arent in dota 2.

fireblast (ogre) was dodgeable in dota 1, but it was practically luck, so its an intended fix.

burrowstrike and impale are only dodgeable in certain directions and are en par with dota 1.

if anybody finds a mistake, please post.

i'll add the leap+gem interaction to my intended fix list then.
    Last edited by blash365; 05-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.