Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit Lord's lore and pseudo design attempt

Basic Member

Pit Lord's lore and pseudo design attempt

Each step breaks ground as the fiery depths of the abyss carry the behemoth-like monstrosity across the earth with wailing lost souls still begging for mercy. It is said that even the most atrocious demons will meet the warden as their bodies are being eviscerated as a pre-course meal while waiting for their judgment. The whispers from the dark has alluded the Pit Lord that the deal of snatching the souls and placing them into his pit has been broken. The unshakeable law where demons have to pay a certain percentage of the souls killed was shattered by the demonic trinity; Doom Bringer, Shadow Demon, and Shadow Fiend. As a dark horse, Pit Lord has seen his demonic brethrens from afar massacring millions and spitting on the old laws. If no amble souls were to enter the torture pits, his thirst can never be quenched. There have been many warnings from stories of the abyss – he who speaks his true name will never experience alleviation and their punishment shall be legendary.

Character design:
    Personally, judging from all of the concept arts and the character models from the original DOTA, I strongly disagree that he should have a centaur-like body. There are just too many of them with the same body style.
    My suggestion is exactly from the first sentence of his lore. The ground breaks and the hands of demons are carrying Pit Lord off the ground as a sign of mercy. This is how he should walk in-game. Floor breaks, you see arms carrying him as if he is floating. IF NOT, he should be carried by 2 or 4 demons while he is seated on his throne-like chair.

Example:

His appearance is frightening and fitting as demons should fear the warden – he should be very gluttonous with a huge belly and wields a unique weapon specifically to him. Only the demonic trinity brethrens can stand toe to toe and rival with Pit Lord. Lastly, he should NOT have facial hair like in DOTA.

His weapon:
    The noise it makes sounds like bones cracking and snapping like a whip.

Note: I know that some people do not like tie-ins with other heroes in the game. If this is the case, then just remove the demonic trinity from this story.
    Last edited by looldude; 06-01-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Basic Member
    your rendition of pit lord looks completely opposite of how he's going to look. a fat bipedal humanoid?

Basic Member
    I like the "carried by minions" idea... and despite being an old-school (ish) dota player, I don't think I'd mind a change like this. Unlike, say, Centaur Warchief, Pit Lord doesn't HAVE to have that four-legged, two-armed physique that he had from old.
    +1
    the hands walking thing would probably be hard to implement, but would look EPIC, so +1 for that too,

You can blame all you want, but aside from a single grammar mistake (law were broken?) and the story which looks like more of a startup than an actual hero backstory (and is tying itself in with an already complicated triangle of heroes; and does so quite well) I can't recall anything.

Why recall?

Because my eyes have melted.

I could never do anything better than what you did, but this won't bring my liquified eyes back into the now empty eyesockets. Sorry, I can't give more criticism on the design. Aside from that the idea of him being carried by lesser fiends is, actually, very neat, but I'd prefer twisted houndlike creatures to humanoid daemons with arms.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input, guys.

RedeNElla: This is very surprising and I'm flattered because most dota-vets I have seen have both ears closed and are not open to new suggestions. Thanks

Vladhood and 1337_n00b: I just feel like this is Valve's baby and that they should just stop taking every intricate ideas from a game that was invented by a different company. In the long run, I believe they will come up with something more unique. Although I do miss the whole faceless void having tentacles for his mouth, the new look has grown on me for sure.

So far, I think we are going to have 7 (animal-like bodies) in the game: enchantress, bane, pit lord, chaos knight's horse (lol), centaur warchief, leshrac, and outworld destroyer. I'm always up for diversity and I hope Valve's creativity team will read this.

I have suggested in the past that Pit Lord should have some sort of spider legs. But with the recent game that just came out, people will probably think the idea is stolen from Azmodan. Spider demons are just cool in general and have been in the past especially in the Doom series or WH40K's Soul Grinders

Soul Grinder:

It seems as though the idea of Pit Lord being carried by hands is the most popular. I was stuck between the throne or carried by hands. Now thanks to you guys, I'm more in favor with your opinions as well.

1.) carried by demonic hands
    2.) throne
    3.) spider legs

... Oh, gosh, the Defiler from Dawn of War series, that's, quite similar to the Soul Grinder and is AWESOME.

Hollllllly crampsticks, I have to apologise now, but this really is about the best design suggestion I've seen for an upcoming hero. It fits Pit Lord on so many levels, and I'm not even taking your lore into account right now. This should really take a little bit of Valve's, attention, I believe - his similarity to a character from a different game isn't lethal; and he is not going to be out for a lot of time, anyway, so that really isn't much of a problem.

No matter how much is he going to look like Azmodan (whoever that is) or Urgot (that LoL character), I have a firm opinion that this should at least go through a little test by Valve.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

The lore is nice, but doesn't give him any particular depth, so not my favorite so far.

However, the character design is pretty awesome. It made sense with Enchantress and Leshrac, it was allright for outworld destroyer, but there are starting to be too many horse characters already. This would definitely make him feel a lot more unique and fits him better.

For the demonic hands, it's an awesome idea, but tricky to implement graphically. However, if anybody can make it work, it would be the Valve team^^ The throne is also nice, however has the slight default of making him a bit passive looking. That soul grinder picture is a good idea, because in your drawing he looks just a little too fat. A little overweight is fine, but he's still a powerful demon lord, so he shouldn't look TOO over-weight either, just imposing. Spider legs is ok, but I've seen it on Urgot and it doesn't look as cool as one would think, and we've already got an actual spider.
    And the whip skeletal weapon... That's just plain awesome.
    Everyone has a story.

For a list of all fan lores of unreleased heroes, http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37955.

I really like the idea for the character design. The only problem I could see is that it wouldn't seem to "fit" being carried around when you have the best base damage in the game. Maybe it's just me.

Great work!

Basic Member
    His model might be too big, a fat ass demonic warden on a chair with lesser demons labouring to move him.
    I really like the throne idea though, but perhaps if the throne levitated or propelled itself somehow and left trails of blood and gore in it's wake, like thrusters.
    A segmented bone whip/sword would be cool, and he could use that less awkwardly from his chair than a big sword or polearm or something.

Pit Lord's model in WCIII is awesome. I don't see any reason for Valve to stray too far from its concept. Your concept sketchs do not appeal to me one iota and I think they're pretty terrible, tbh (the concept, that is; the quality of them is irrelevant).

As opposed to the people above, I don't give a flying fuck whether there are supposedly too many "horse heroes" in the game. If it looks badass (and Pit Lord in WCIII DotA looks badass) why would you break with something that works? I want quality over uniqueness. Furthermore, the original game had a great number of beast-like heroes, so why are we trying to change that in Dota 2? You say there are 7 heroes with that concept in their design? Cool story, bro...there are 100+ heroes in the original...adding an 8th REALLY ISN'T going to break the bank >_>

4-legged Demon, please, none of this nonsensical rubbish.