Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cosmetic items need to follow the original models' color schemes and overall style

Cosmetic items need to follow the original models' color schemes and overall style

I really enjoy some of the cosmetic items found in the game. Many of them, like Sven's or Nature's Prophet, are actually pretty well done. However, while looking through the DotA 2 Workshop items, I've noticed that a couple of them are either notably hated by the community or feel like they don't seem to 'fit'. Here is why I believe this happens.

Cosmetic items need to, first and foremost, use the base model as a template of sorts. They need to be lore-friendly as much as possible... and for the sake of gameplay the items also need to have the same overall shape and set of colors as the original model. Not to say that Sven can't have a Spartan-type helmet, but the players need to instantly and effortlessly recognize the hero no matter which cosmetic item the hero is sporting. Also, each hero has a particular "style"... and all cosmetic items should reflect them. Sven should look like a masked knight, Witch Doctor should look like a tribalistic shaman, Pudge should look like someone who likes to cut meat. Heroes without helmets should remain so; if Anti-Mage suddenly appears next to you, you might not recognize him if he's wearing a top hat and pimp clothes.

Sven's cosmetic items all follow these rules and are perfect examples of how cosmetic items should be.

However, for some heroes, this is not the case. For instance, Broodmother's Blademother set changes her into a 8-legged robot which is definitely not lore-friendly. Nature Prophet's Prophet of Peace set gives him clothes and a weapon that have a largely different set of colors than his base model's. Arguably, Ursa's Alpine set has a ridiculous-looking hat.

All in all, I believe all the cosmetic items should add pieces of equipment to the original model that fit with the character's color scheme, shape, style and lore... and this needs to be a requirement for choosing which community-made items go into the game, and not just their popularity.
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Basic Member
    I Agree!

+1

Um, does that rule out my totem?

Instead of being stone, it's wood. It follows ES's own scheme, but not the pillar.

Basic Member
    a liil off topic but that brood thing you posted is amazing id buy that lol, that skin alone would make me play brood more often

Quote Originally Posted by Vi3trice View Post
    Um, does that rule out my totem?

Instead of being stone, it's wood. It follows ES's own scheme, but not the pillar.
    It's fine, because his model mainly uses gray, red, orange and brown shades. Which your totem also uses. Also, it's awesome.
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.

This a goo topic OP, also concise which is pretty much straight forward. Item modelers need to read this thread before going nuts with colors and themes.

I agree with everything you said and I hope items follow the hero themes, colors and silhouette. Changing the hero silhouette with crazy items is bad too.

Wanna make a item? Go read the lore first. These heroes' lores have an evolving atmosphere which pretty much tells us their personality and what kind of items they would wear. Their current default items tells us a lot and should always be used as a guide into modelling new stuff.

Basic Member

Does this work fine according to your standards OP? This is just a paintover as of the moment and will be a model in due time.

I agree completely, OP. If it's not 100% that i know which hero it is instantly, I don't think it has a place in dota. Of course, I also want a way to disable cosmetics in tournament matches, so...

Basic Member
    This topic has a good point, although the examples given are pretty poor. All three of those heroes are instantly recognisable because of how they stand, their general proportions, and their movements. The lack of red on the Blademother outfit will not make her difficult to spot. The huge webs and massive, 8-legged model kind of gives her away. There is absolutely no way the Pangolin Gondar is going to catch you off guard because his scarf is a different colour. Furion still has horns, pale greens and blues, and an awkward way of standing.

Quite frankly, you're an idiot if you can't tell who any of these heroes are on sight.

If you do think that matters, consider the original Dota. Did people ever lose track of a hero like Earthshaker because his totem runes might be orange instead of blue? Of course not.

While we're on the topic of the Blademother skin, though, saying it isn't lore-friendly in a setting with lasers, heat-seeking missiles and personal helicopters is a bite ridiculous. However, I will agree that it's currently a bit too futuristic; if it was to be implemented into the game I would like to see the reactor-style abdomen replaced with something a bit more steampunk, like a furnace or visible engine.

Overall, though, the point made is correct. Hero cosmetics must not change the model's outline drastically.

Basic Member
    agree with point, and agree that examples aren't the best, it is massively important for Valve to keep the overall design schemes in mind, otherwise workshop will be filled with junk. ^^those designs look great gw.