Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1800 Range hook.

Basic Member

1800 Range hook.

Wasn't sure where to post it, please move it if it's in the wrong place.
    Anyway, In dota 1 you were able to use Meat Hook and then quickly force yourself resulting in 600 range added to your Hook. In dota 2 you cant.
    Not sure if it's a bug, or intended. in any case i (and i think a lot of other pudge players) would like to have it in Dota 2.
    an other thing, in dota 2 you could have move about 0.5 sec after you used hook (not sure about the number) and if you'd move closer to your target hook will go a bit farer (really a bit, how much you moved in that time), same in any other directions.
    please fix this. thanks.

Basic Member
    I think this is due to the differences in how hook works. In DotA2, the hook originates and moves from where Pudge initially casted the hook, whereas in DotA1 the hook originates from where Pudge initially casted the hook, but moves relative to where Pudge is as the hook increases in length

Basic Member
    afiak, in DotA1, you can't extend your own hook with force staff, but an ally can, as pudge becomes able to move as soon as the hook starts to retract. I can confirm you can't extend it yourself in Dota2, but I've not tested someone else helping you to do so. I hope it has parity to DotA1.
    Hello, I'm Fydorian! I have Trouble getting even one cs per minute, so I help find bugs instead!
    To make things easier on everyone, if reporting a bug on the Gameplay Bugs forum, please read these stickies:
    Bug posting guidelines. READ THIS FIRST!
    Common Bugs List
    Intended Fix List
    This has been a PSA by yours truely, Fydorian.

You can extend your own hook with force staff in DotA 1

There has already been topics about this "bug" but no one to really confirm it if it is an intentional change or not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fydorian View Post
    afiak, in DotA1, you can't extend your own hook with force staff, but an ally can, as pudge becomes able to move as soon as the hook starts to retract. I can confirm you can't extend it yourself in Dota2, but I've not tested someone else helping you to do so. I hope it has parity to DotA1.
    No. It is indeed hard to do it on your own, but if you are using shift you can do it easyly - walk to a spot, hold shift and cast a hook, keep holding shift and double click force staff. like i said, not working in Dota 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UaZXlEaWg

Quote Originally Posted by Imbajoe View Post
    I think this is due to the differences in how hook works. In DotA2, the hook originates and moves from where Pudge initially casted the hook, whereas in DotA1 the hook originates from where Pudge initially casted the hook, but moves relative to where Pudge is as the hook increases in length
    I believe you're right. i'd like to see this fixed.

Basic Member
    this isnt a bug and is a fix in all ways possible, im not a dev so im not the final word.

but the extended hook is the main reason why pudge doesnt have blink dagger. dota 1 hook can only extend because of wc3 engine limitation. its a bug in dota 1.

dota 2 doesnt use the same mechanics and is far less buggy in how the hook interacts with other spells and abilites because of this. with pudge's hook not being extended in dota 2 i could easily see pudge being allowed to use blink dagger..for all of you thinking this needs to be fixed, im sorry..i dont think it will be.

Basic Member
    i would like to have it back as it was in dota 1...
    but tbh it was just stupid and an engine limitation. as much as i want to have 1800 range hook it wasnt intended at all to have it...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandang View Post
    i would like to have it back as it was in dota 1...
    but tbh it was just stupid and an engine limitation. as much as i want to have 1800 range hook it wasnt intended at all to have it...
    There's nothing wrong with having a game mechanic that was unintended. Muta stacking in Starcraft definitely wasn't intentional but someone would have to be crazy to think that the game would be better without it.

Basic Member
    since i dont play sc i dont get the analogy. but if u think about the bugholes in dota 1 - where u could jump in and land at a different location- or spectraldagger buff fix - now u cannot run across cliffs if you dont follow the path- this is just another engine fix. there will be more and they will most likely not be revoked.

It is not an "engine limitation" in dota 1, it is a (probably) overlooked result from the way it is coded which could easily be fixed there, and since it hasn't been fixed in pretty much forever, there is no reason why dota 2 should work differently from it.